Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:57 pm 

Hi all

I have this Fouga Magister joystick/manche/poignée pilote and wanted to know if someone could tell me how can I separate it from the base in a safe way. And also what kind of care I should take with it. many thanks for your input (higher resolution by click):

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/rreis/3882014979/]
Image[/url]

If you want pictures, see rreis@flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:40 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Why do you want to seperate it ? it looks like there is a knuraled nut at the base of the grip, if there is, just loosen that and pull the 2 pieces apart, it is like a very large cannon plug.

Check out the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook

Post subject: Fouga Contro stick
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:17 am 

Sir

To quote a friend, when asked what I do when I get an aircraft part "build a plane around it". Although you may find it cheaper to buy a complete aircraft rather then trying to peice one togeather.

Good Luck
Avn-Tech
Fouga Jet (Static Display)

Post subject: Re: Fouga Contro stick
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:32 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Avn-Tech wrote:
Although you may find it cheaper to buy a complete aircraft rather then trying to piece one together.

No Sh*t! So, that's what I've been doing wrong all these years :D
Matt's right. Turn the large brown rusty looking nut. The base part can be pulled off then. It's like a cannon plug.
What are the plans for it? Looks like a backseat stick with a rough life! Lots of corrosion and it's missing the trim switch.

Post subject: Re: Fouga Contro stick
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:37 am 

Fouga23 wrote:
No Sh*t! So, that's what I've been doing wrong all these years :D
Matt's right. Turn the large brown rusty looking nut. The base part can be pulled off then. It's like a cannon plug.
What are the plans for it? Looks like a backseat stick with a rough life! Lots of corrosion and it's missing the trim switch.

I would like to proper clean it and paint it as original. It was retrieved by a dear friend from a Fouga that is sinking itself under the luxurious vegetation of São Tomé e Principe. It was one of 2 Fougas that should have went to the Biafra Air Force during that conflict but the wings ended somewhere else and they had this inglorious end.

Maybe I should buy some sand paper to polish it? Scotch bright? To turn the nut is there a special tool or should I just improvise? I don't really want to hurt the metal.

I'll start looking for interior shots of Fouga so I can find out how it was painted. Do you think it's easy to get a new trim switch?

many thanks for the replies (and the idea of building a plane around it did cross my mind)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:25 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Would it be possible to get some pictures of those 2 Fouga's? I'm working on a book about Fouga's and pictures of those 2 would be very helpfull!
Any other parts that can be liberated? Still looking for some cockpit parts for my Fouga.
The stick is painted black. I would just lightly sand it, prime it and than paint it black again. The chances of finding a new trim switch is close to zero I think :( The metal part on which the thumb rests is missing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:28 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

oh, and to turn the nut. Normally you can just turn it by hand. Maybe a little rusted after all these years. Try maybe some WD40, let it rest for a day and then and try turning it :) After you turn the nut, you can pull the 2 parts apart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:47 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Fouga23 wrote:
oh, and to turn the nut. Normally you can just turn it by hand. Maybe a little rusted after all these years. Try maybe some WD40, let it rest for a day and then and try turning it :) After you turn the nut, you can pull the 2 parts apart.

And if the WD40 doesn't do it, I've had great results from a CRC product called "Freeze-Off". The stuff has the aroma
of turpentine and as you spray it for 25 -30 seconds it gets really cold. Treat from both ends of the nut and it may
come of by hand....certainly, usually with minimal turning force if your lucky! :wink:

I had some Bosch mechanical injectors which were spinning in the vise when trying to remove the feed line fiittngs.
One use of the "FO" and they came right off with little turning force from a small 10mm wrench. Good luck Rreis!

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:32 pm 

Fouga23 wrote:
Would it be possible to get some pictures of those 2 Fouga's? I'm working on a book about Fouga's and pictures of those 2 would be very helpfull!

I think my friend took some pictures. The aircraft are still there but I don't think much should be left from the cockpit area.