Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:22 pm 

OK, Fellas.

I'm finally sorting a giant bin of assorted aircraft hardware (OK, my students are) that was given the Foundation many years ago.

After several years of "Hunting and pecking', I've decided to coerce a few "volunteers" to help sort it out.

While doing so, I've come across a bunch of hardware I've never seen before, but one particular piece intriques me. They appear to be some type of Riv-Nut, but are shaped much differently on the outside and are anodized in different colors and one end is hex shaped..

So... What are they and what are they used for?

Here are some pictures..

C-54D "Spirit of Freedom" 43-17228
C-97 "Angel of Deliverance" 52-2718 (painted as YC-97A 45-59595)
C-54E/R5D-4 "Spirit of Freedom" 44-9144 BuNo 90414 (wfu April/2020)
http://www.spiritoffreedom.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:37 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Kevin,

Those are hi-lok collars. They are the equivalent of a regular nut but for use with hi-lok fasteners. The hex breaks off at a pre-set value when tightening the fastener, and you'll notice a little recess in the threaded end that the shank of the hi-lok bolt nests into. I'd be glad to do a little demo when I get home from work tonight. Gotta go!

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:04 pm 

15 Minutes..........WOW, gotta love WIX!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:34 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Hi-loc collars.

Most are made from aluminum and some from steel. They are designed for the nut portion to break away a specified torque. The Hi-locs are also size specific, i.e. shank size. The shank will come in standard diameter, 1st. over (1/64) and 2nd. oversize (1/32).They are used extensively for structure repairs. They come in sizes from 5/32 to about 5/8 inch. Steel, Stainless steel, and Titanium. The shank portion is designed for a press fit in the hole so a wrench is not needed for the shank portion. But, each shank has an allen head socket in the threaded end to hold it if necessary while installing the collar. The head is either a button head or countersunk designed for a shear application (small head) or a tension application (larger head).