Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:38 am 

Specifically, do you have to go to school / take a course or can you home study and then just take the exam at a FSDO? I have heard the rumor that you no longer can take the exam at a FSDO, it has to be done at an authorized computer testing center?
I have the 3+ years experience and meet the currency requirements, I am getting the FAA 8610-1 form this coming week. I am unable to just take a class in the USA because of being based overseas, any help/suggestions would be appreciated!
I am calling around tommorow to see what I can find out but thought I'd ask here first...Thanks everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:53 am 

The only schools that I know of is in Nashville, TN, at Bakers School, and Kings (http://www.kingsaeronautics.com/resources.htm).

Here is a home study course idea;
http://www.skysupplyusa.com/asa-inspect ... A-IA-5.htm

The FAA form is downloadable in pdf format from the FAA website, so you don't have to wait for it. You can fill it out and then print it.

You will still need authorization from an FAA inspector to take the test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Why on earth would you want to take on that amount of heartache? Stick with your A&P & let someone else put their fanny in jeopardy over one teeny omission on some form unless you only plan to use it for your personal aircraft and no one elses', why do you think so many IA's aren't renewed? Way too much bovine byproduct from the blue blazer crowd from the loco.......er.......local FSDO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:38 pm 

Why? Because it is the next step in a technicians profession. I say do it. There is risk in everything you do. Getting my IA was part of the terms of my employment. Whether you use it or not, I would recommend getting it. Every bit of knowledge you gain in this industry will benefit you some day. David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:35 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I have to agree 100% with Sabremech. Get it. Now, getting it done from your location will be a bit different than being in the U.S.A. I was able to get my schooling requirements at a local community college that offers an A&P program, not that it will help in your case. Keep us posted!

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:38 pm 

Very well said Sabre!

If you really understand aircraft maintenance you'll find that you're more exposed as an A&P than you are as an IA - think about it.

I've had my IA for over 15 years and it helped me earn a pretty good living during that time. Sure there are risks, but I'm willing to take those risks to work in this career field.

Last edited by flyboyj on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:59 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Enemy Ace wrote:
Specifically, do you have to go to school / take a course or can you home study and then just take the exam at a FSDO? I have heard the rumor that you no longer can take the exam at a FSDO, it has to be done at an authorized computer testing center?
I have the 3+ years experience and meet the currency requirements, I am getting the FAA 8610-1 form this coming week. I am unable to just take a class in the USA because of being based overseas, any help/suggestions would be appreciated!
I am calling around tommorow to see what I can find out but thought I'd ask here first...Thanks everyone!

All the requirments are spelled out in the FARs and it is a computerized test. All they want you to bring in for testing is the approval form, a picture ID, and the testing fee.
Like all FAA tests, the correct answer is the most correct.
Read your FARs, know how to read TCDS, and ADs.

If you would like, I have a test I would give to new inspectors to see what they really knew, if there is enough interest, I could post it here.

Check out the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:24 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I went the Baker route back in 2000, and I am very glad I did.
The boss offered to pay my expenses if I went on my time, two weeks later I was there.
4 days of drilling the answers into your head, and a 50 minute trip to the computer for the test. Voila!

At that point, I was the ninth guy in the shop to get his, and the remaining few were offered the same, but they couldnt come up with the time and they never got theirs. Now we are down to 3 in the shop, We are very glad that the meetings are 2 years apart now, but we still do the Aviall courses each year to keep up with the renewall requirements. We used to do enough annuals to keep everybody current, now I guess we are just too busy with all the big rig work to look at a Bonanza. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:27 pm 

I got the Baker home study guide. I can't imagine passing the test if all I studied was the FAA Study guide. Got mine back in 96. An FAA inspector will have to sign the form and you have to take the test at a testing center. At least it is now computerized multiple choice. It used to be essay questions. Don't get discouraged, the test was harder than anything I have ever had to do as an IA except deal with cheap aircraft owners. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:57 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I agree with Sabremech. I got mine back in the dark ages when you had to bring the microfiche and a reader with you to the FSDO and there was a verbal component with an examiner. I have always been good with tests so I didn't find it too hard. But I used a King's home study course a couple of hours a night for 3 or 4 months before taking it. I was amazed at all the things I had learned in A&P school that I had never used, like determining Weight and Balance. Funny how when you are an A&P it is easy to let the IAs handle any W&B calculation. The same was true of Forms 337. I had signed plenty but had never written any as an A&P. I remember there was one definite trick question that had to do with a list of sources of approved data. The only FAA document the mentions the list is the AC (65-9?) that governs Inspection Authorization.

An acquaintance was recently laid off. Not only is he not an IA he is not even an A&P despite several opportunities to get it at least partially at his employer's expense. I have had several lay offs since getting my IA and shudder to think how long it would have taken to find another job with only an IA.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:00 pm 

John Dupre wrote:
I got mine back in the dark ages when you had to bring the microfiche and a reader with you to the FSDO and there was a verbal component with an examiner.

I lugged that reader and fiche up to the FSDO office and when I took the test didn't have one question that made me use them! :x

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:28 pm 

I gotcha beat, I had 8 3" binders with the AD's and TCDS's that I toted around and set up on two of the tables in the testing room. They were talking about bringing out Microfishe in a couple of years.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:12 pm 

skymstr02 wrote:
They were talking about bringing out Microfishe in a couple of years.

God help us! I do have a reader though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:23 am 

A buddy of mine and myself got our IAs way too many years ago. We took it at the Dallas FAA office. I borrowed some microfiche and was able to use their readers. If I recall the one guy I was assigned was ok to deal with while his partner was a real jerk. You probably get that at any workplace though. Luck of the draw.

We used a borrowed copy of the Acme (remember those) books and spent a week of evenings going through them. The test at that time was 10 multiple choice on Part 65 and two 20 question essay sections on AC43.13, AD notes, and TCDS stuff.

As best as I can remember there was no way you could ever get a 100%. I had some legitimate correct answers and the FSDO (GADO back then) guys said "that's not what we were looking for". Ended up with 85% on those two sections. I guess they felt they needed to stay in the middle of the pack as far as results went.

I felt the hardest part was picking up the phone to make the appointment for the test....

Go get it. As Martha Stewart would say "it's a good thing"...

Vintage Aircraft Services
Aircraft restoration and rebuilding
Rhome, TX

http://www.vintageaircraftservices.net