Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:55 am 

Hi all,

I don't post in this section often, but of late things have persuaded me to get off my behind and do something constructive. So I got myself down to Coventry airport to become a volunteer member of the group that look after Avro Shackleton MR2 WR963. I spent a few happy hours in this in 1998 as a teenager, when it was being used as spares for WL790 (now at Pima)

The numbers of people working on the aircraft has started to dwindle, as a lot of the guys there have the enthusiasm, but are well into their retirement years. To say I was given a warm welcome is an understatement; they were overjoyed that someone young was interested in volunteering.

The aircraft was made live a few years ago, and did carry out some taxi runs. The original plan was to have it flying inside four years, but things have started to get a bit more diffficult. The Shackleton is kept outdoors, which in the British weather isn't good for it.... water has got into a lot of areas it shouldn't have, including the fuel system causing a lt of problems with fuel cocks and priming pumps all seizing and burning out. The water is being chased out but it's taking time; this work is ongoing, as is the fitting of a brand new Rolls-Royce Griffon engine in the port inner position. It's hoped to have her running again in March.

I'm not mechanically inept (I restore old cars for fun) but aircraft are a new area for me - I usually dabble in their history and wreckchasing rather than maintaining them. As a result I'm still finding my feet, and I'm going to be coming on here for advice quite a bit! I didn't get chance to take many photos this time around (I'll post what I got when I get home), but I'll try and get some good ones next time.

Anyway...

The aircraft is very dirty.. which isn't helping it. Theres lots of green goo on it and it's retaining water. I want to clean it off... it's going to have to be by hand for the moment as the engine change means she isn't going anywhere soon. What I need to know is what is safe to use as detergent... I don't want to damage the skin. I was thinking along the lines of a mild automotive shampoo?

More to come as I learn more, and do more...

Regards,

Richard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:26 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Auto soap & a soft scrub brush will work, just avoid the dish soap as it contains salt.

Have a look under the aircraft & see if there is a row of (probably blocked) 1/8in holes along the bottom to drain water... I once poked a bit of safety wire into a hole in the bottom of a P51 rudder & was somewhat alarmed to see at least 3 or 4 gallons of water pour out... :shock:

There are 2 kinds of Simple Green, one that is for aircraft & the other which is corrosive... Once you get it clean, keeping it that way will get easier... altho waxing a Shackleton might take a few days... I think you may need a Costco membership :)

If there aren't any drain holes in the bottom of the fuselage you could always add a few...Just don't use an electric drill.. :wink:

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:19 pm 

Many thanks!

I don't think it will be waxed for a while, just washed regularly as a repaint is on the job list for the coming year. I'll have a look for the drain holes.

Regards

Ric

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:32 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

As a refinish is on the cards I'd scrub the hell out of it as it will save time with prep when it comes time to paint :)

I'll see if I get get a hold of my step bro & rustle up some paint for you, he supplies Ford in the UK so has a bit laying about... not making any promises tho, haven't spoken with him in over 20 years..

At least I found his number so thats a start :)

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:29 pm 

Great to see that you guys are working hard to keep it alive. Can you post any pics?