Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:16 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I am looking for the relevant TO's for Glider towing equipment on C-47 and C-46 aircraft. Is anybody aware of one of these aircraft in existence with the original towing equipment? Thanks

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:20 pm 

Contact Jim Terry with Greatest Generation Aircraft in Fort Worth. I know that he has a CG-4A glider project for sale and I believe he has all the equipment to tow gliders from a C-47. Not sure if he has the T.O.'s or not though.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=57513906106

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:42 am 

TOs are available from the Smithsonian. CG-4A tow release for tugs was same as for the CG-4A. Of course how it was mounted or bolted to the aircraft was different. Release cable ran to the cockpit. There was a slightly heavier tow release designed for the larger gliders (XCG-10A, XCG-16). The CG-4A release in the tugs was used for the Horsa. This was not the same release as used for TGs or for the CG-4A drag chute. Problem with premature release of the CG-4A tow release was determined to be primarily caused by failure to keep the release clean of dirt and oil. I have yet to see a C-47 in the US with the tow release still mounted. I believe the C-47 at SME in France has one mounted in the tail cone. If you are thinking about the snatch winch used for pickup and find one anywhere buy it if at all possible.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:16 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Charles,
Thanks for that. I've been trying to get in touch with you about another matter which I will PM you about.

Here is what I picked up. I found two of these. I know what they are, but want to see the other equipment they attach to. Both of them are NOS. The assembly numbers are pretty clear in the photos. I also have the glider brake chute releases. I had a chance to buy C-82 Glider snatch winch gear but passed on it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:09 am 

FYI.

The Handley Page Halifax in the National Air Force Museum of Canada at Trenton, Ontario, has the tow release installed but it was used to tow the Hamilcar glider and is significantly more substantial than the one illustrated.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:27 am 

Looking for a serviceable Model M-80C winch ( accompanying pick-up gear would be a bonus too ) to install on a C-47. If anyone has any leads on one they could pass along, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!