Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 655 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 44  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:13 pm 

The Inspector wrote:
B-17 guy wrote:
I agree with shrike, leave it factory fresh. No nose art, group/squadron markings etc. Just what is already there.

Sure glad I mentioned it first- :|

Ok? Whats this about?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

B-17 guy wrote:
The Inspector wrote:
B-17 guy wrote:
I agree with shrike, leave it factory fresh. No nose art, group/squadron markings etc. Just what is already there.

Sure glad I mentioned it first- :|

Ok? Whats this about?

top of this page under the last photo D/C/W posted.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:46 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

No, no, no...it's got to have a name. Otherwise, it will be known as "That other B-17 at Duxford. Not Sally B, the static bird"... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:50 am 

The discussion about colour schemes, unit markings and nose art has now been active for a year! Every opinion and suggestion is welcome, it's great to know so many people feel so strongly about '735 and the stories she can tell.
Even the staff and volunteers at Duxford have many ideas about the finished project, and it is the difficulty in choosing an identity which has meant a decision to leave the aircraft in 'factory' condition. With so many Bomb groups and crews to represent, no single scheme can tell the whole story.
My own opinion has changed several times during the rebuild. Having been 'Mary Alice' for over 30 years, it is still hard to think of '735 as anything else. The remarkable story of the original aircraft reflects the hardships and achievements of the whole campaign, and I hoped she would live on.
I then hoped a sponsor would rush forward with an obscene amount of cash to persuade IWM to commemorate a particular Bomb Group or crew. Perhaps it's not too late....
The decision to show '735 in delivery marks then seemed the best compromise. It always allows for a rethink in the future.
Now, however, I've decided that some nose art would bring the aircraft to life. A factory fresh B-17 tells a story, but an operational scheme tells 10 more. Where was the tail gunner born, where was the radio operator trained, what happened to the pilot? Which village pub did they visit? How many missions did they share? Did they finish their tour? Who's girlfriend inspired the name of the ship?
I'm just glad I don't have to make the decision.

There is one other possibility. '735 never wore Group markings, but she had a name crudely applied when the first crew from Duxford went to France in 1975 to recover the airframe. I've tried to imagine the result:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:43 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Not another Belle, please!

Girl
Lass
Maid
Maiden
Miss
Mistress
the list goes on, but please, not another Belle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:49 am 

OK, try:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:07 pm 

I am still not convinced. Most of the aircraft she is surrounded by have very distinct identities. What happens when the big AAM shuffle takes place? Is everything going to be generically repainted?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:29 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

shrike wrote:
Not another Belle, please!

Girl
Lass
Maid
Maiden
Miss
Mistress
the list goes on, but please, not another Belle

OK- if they are not going to name her "The Movie TEXAS RAIDERS" then:
The Duxford Dame
:lol:

I will enjoy it just the same- nameless or not.

SPANNER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:44 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I can see the appeal... Factory fresh is a great way to honor the Home Front and the country(s) pulling together to win the war and the thousands of fresh replacement crews without a clue about what they were about to experience. I would think you would need some displays to support that part of the story... the Birth of a B-17 through the ferry flight, and the replacement crew first stepping onto English soil, if that is indeed the intent.

On the other hand, I just don't know that I can accept it not having any nose art! ;) :lol:

Visit Django Studios online or Facebook!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:15 pm 

Duxford Monday 18th June:

Here are a few pictures to illustrate the progress on Duxford's B-17.

The control surfaces are being completed:

Bomb bay doors are now fitted:

Yesterday saw a Military Vehicle Show at Duxford. '735 was at the centre of a book fair hosted by the AAM, but volunteers were still at work behind the scenes:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:03 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

D/C/W wrote:
More of a colour difference apparent here, again partly due to the harsh lighting, but actually a common feature of production aircraft. With different sections being produced in separate workshops there was often some variation in finish:

Except in this case it's had mismatched panels/sections since before they even finished spraying the fuselage. I mentioned before they were spraying some parts half assed..

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You'll find exactly the same thing in wartime photos of the Plant 2 assembly lines, the vertical fins were built and painted by KENWORTH Trucks about 2 miles South of the plant on E. Marginal Way So. (the creepy, old, dark KW buildings still exist) with paint from the same supplier, PRESERVATIVE PAINT Co. across the field and North of Boeing Field in Georgetown. Other subassemblies from around the country came painted and ready for installation and the paint colors were slightly to seriously different depending upon chemicals that paint supplier used locally, so actually the fin is period correct and as we've already been shown, the subs were from all over, BRIGGS Co. who made the horizontals was in the Detroit area because prior to the war they made and assembled car bodies for everyone at their stamping plant there. BRIGGS could beat FORDS internal per unit cost, so most Model 'A' and later FORD bodies were made by BRIGGS who became part of Chrysler Corp. in the mid-ish 50's.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:19 am 

Duxford Tuesday June 19th:

As requested, here are some pictures of the B-17 upper turret from last week. This section was not scheduled for removal during the current restoration, so only the guns were put in store. With such a confined space, it is difficult to get a general view, and a lot of the detail is also hidden.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:54 am 

[quote="D/C/W"]Duxford Wednesday June 13th:

The wing joints remain exposed for now:

What's with the new panel with the clecos?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:55 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Dobbins wrote:
D/C/W wrote:
Duxford Wednesday June 13th:

The wing joints remain exposed for now:

What's with the new panel with the clecos?

Just guessing but-- TEXAS RAIDERS had to remove those same panels (one each side) in order to remove the Wing Attachment bolts.
While I am sure artisans could have cleanly drilled those rivets out on that curve our original panels were pretty ratty by the time they were removed.

Only the Duxford crew can confirm or deny.

SPANNER

PS- Thanks for the detail shots on the top turret. We may re-install ours at some point and it is great seeing a clean installation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 655 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 44  Next