Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 655 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 44  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:47 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Interesting notion Peter. Lord knows I will defend the decisions regarding the nose art on Ol' 927 to the death... :lol: and of course I would be thrilled to be able to get involved somehow if that were even an option but I'm torn on that. I think in the context that kind of setting it makes more sense to just pick one that is historically accurate as a representative of the entire 8th AF. Where as the B-24 is a flyer and needs to market herself and the CAF to continue flying.

How do you pick though? That's the hard part of course as any and all are worthy. Do you choose a crew that survived or one that didn't?

I am with you on the NMF. The skins so far look to be really nice.

Visit Django Studios online or Facebook!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:25 am 

I have to own up ~ this post covers three visits to Duxford !

A quick visit on Sunday saw staff and volunteers alike busy in the AAM .....

and Hangar 5

Moving on to Monday May 9th .....

A lot of the work being done is not obvious in the pictures I took and I was beginning to think I would struggle to have enough material for posting.

That's when Chris Knapp, the Conservation Manager came over and said hello. He's been following this thread on WIX and likes the positive contribution that
everyone has made to it so far. ( I'd like to echo that thought ! )

The Imperial War Museum exists to educate ~ so I'm sure we all appreciate the next few pix that I took thanks to Chris.

With the Ball Turret removed ~ this next shot was taken with me lying on the floor so I could shoot up into the "void" above.

I've taken hundreds of pictures of B-17's ~ but that shot is a first !

Standing up and looking forward into the Radio Room shows what a nice job was made of fitting it out when it was originally restored

And then turning 180 deg ~ we get the view looking aft down through the waist section

To me this looks rather different from the B-17's I've been blessed to fly in while in the USA. There are no passenger seats in this one !

Note too that both the waist .50 caliber machine guns have already been removed.

The quality of the interior work continues when we look at the Tail Gunners position ( again the guns are already out )

Just look at the attention paid in labeling connections .....

I should make it clear that I don't have privileged access of any sort ~ I'm just a humble museum visitor. ( All be it a frequent one )
All the restoration team are friendly and will answer questions about what they are doing. I just happened to be the bloke with the camera yesterday.

Seen enough ? Bored already ?? Or do you wanna see some more ??? :D

We're back up to date now ~ the next pix were taken today( May 10th )

The B-17 has been brought forward up to the glass wall. This has allowed clearance to get to crane over the last engine so it could come off.

It wasn't long before it was out the doors on it's way to Hangar 5

While work continues in the AAM ~ sometimes out of our normal field of vision

Over in the Conservation Hanger ( Hangar 5 ) ~ the parts already stripped and cleaned are looking really good

You'll have noted that the Ball Turret has taken offence at being called R2D2 and has been replaced by something far more sinister

So I guess that better be it for this post ~ Stay tuned for the next update :wink:

Peter

Consolidated by US state ~ see if there's a heavy bomber tour stop coming to an airport near you ...... http://www.bomberflight.info

Warbirdapps on facebook ~ every day a new image from my personal journey thru the world of warbirds ..... https://www.facebook.com/Warbirdapps

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:38 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks! I never gave any thoughts to the skirting around the hole the belly turret goes into until your photo. thin plywood is a logical choice, thin, flexible, easily replaced, and non strategic so metal can be conserved to be used elsewhere. I really like the details shots like the access plates on the underside of the wings and how they were hinged and not just in place with 27 PK screws and the look down the tailcone with the ammo boxes, keep shootin' !!! :D :D :D

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:31 pm 

bomberflight wrote:
Seen enough ? Bored already ?? Or do you wanna see some more ??? :D

I think I can speak for most Peter... No, no and yes!!!! ;)

Thanks very much for the pictures and information, most appreciated. :D 8)

Mark

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:43 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thanks so much for another great update. And a big Thank You to the museum staff for allowing you access inside the fuselage. 8)

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:03 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Yes, a big thank you to you and the museum for giving you access.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:58 pm 

Alternatively, keep her as Mary Alice...

..as she was by the autumn of 1944, a mix of field-applied OD and NMF replacement assemblies.
The yellow fin flashes were in place by then, on the NMF replacement fin, so a splash of colour too.

Or would that look too "tatty"?

PB

401BG Association Historian & Honorary Life Member
401BG Historical Society (UK) Member
1st Air Division HQ Historical Society (UK) Founder Member
Director of Archives & Collections, Airfield Research Group Archive, Alconbury
RAF Alconbury Base Historian

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:26 am 

Sasnak ~ if my Euromillions lottery ticket ever comes up ~ my B-17 will fly as "Little Miss Mischief" :)

It might seem the perfect scheme to tell the story of the Mighty 8th, the punishment they took and the ingenuity of the ground echelon in
keeping them flying. But I wonder if the average party of school students would grasp those facts in the amount of time they spend looking
at any particular exhibit.

I recently had the pleasure of providing a personal unofficial tour of the IWM at Duxford to a fellow member of the Lone Star Flight Musuem
who was on vacation from Texas. We managed to go around all the hangars plus AirSpace and the AAM at a steady pace ~
but there wasn't much time to just stand and stare in a 4 to 5 hour visit.

RAMC181 ~ I understand this scheme was chosen originally by the late Roger Freeman ~ so there's a good reason for it to return to those colors.

All we can be 100 pct sure of right now is it will look fantastic when it's done and whatever the scheme is ~ some folk won't like it.
I'm glad it's not me who has to pick just one solution out of so many worthy choices :wink:

Peter

Consolidated by US state ~ see if there's a heavy bomber tour stop coming to an airport near you ...... http://www.bomberflight.info

Warbirdapps on facebook ~ every day a new image from my personal journey thru the world of warbirds ..... https://www.facebook.com/Warbirdapps

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:57 am 

And so we come to activities on Wednesday May 11th ...... :D

Let's start in the Conservation Hangar ~ where work continues to remove paint.

The leading edges of both wings are now in this building

And all four engines have been reunited

Moving down the airfield to the American Air Museum ~

Are those blue stands big ? or are the BIG ??

With equipment moved out of the building ~ we can now see the all the fuselage. I've included this shot because at this point
the main gear leg is down ~ although the wheel has already been removed.

Now I've watched the movie "Memphis Belle" a few ( dozen ) times ~ so I know the main gear can be hand cranked using a handle
in the bomb bay ....... while hanging on for dear life as per Hollywood.

What I didn't know was an individual leg can be cranked up :o Just like this ......

You can see the Drag Strut ( I found the name on a diagram in my B-17 workshop book ) is moving slowly but surely

Just keep cranking ...... have someone else take over ...... more cranking ......

And up she goes

So that's one down ( or should that now be UP ) and one to go !

While this is going on ~ other team members are delving into the nose

and removing the front armament

Meanwhile ~ another section is moved out of the AAM and down to Hangar 5

One last picture to finish up for today. Remember those big blue frames ? They've been taken outside and laid down.
Someone said to me ~ don't they look like WW2 tank traps on a Normandy Beach ?

Another post coming to you soon :wink:

Peter

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Keep it coming! One hot thread right now.

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:31 am 
Account Suspended

Awesome!!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:08 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

It's amazing to see it come apart like that and then to go through the tiny door. 8) :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:32 am 

Let's kick off this quick update with a view from outside the American Air Museum glass wall

With the wheels off and the undercarriage retracted ~ the B-17 is now sitting low to the ground

Moving inside the building we can now see the aircraft from a different set of angles .....

Let's take a look now at the lower wing attachment bracket .....

Detaching the inner wing section in progress !

And here's a view of the upper wing attachment bracket .....

In this pic we can also see the battery tray ( painted black ) and more pipework than I could imagine in this section !

We'll finish this post with another shot taken outside

More soon :wink:

Peter

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:33 pm 

A view of Mary Alice taken on Sunday ( May 15th )

And now a view from today ......

Yes the cranes have arrived and the time has come to remove the inner wing panels !

In the next couple of pix ~ we can see the project team working or releasing the lower attachment pins ~ whilst the cranes take the weight

That's it ! The inner wing is now detached and ready to be steered away from the fuselage .....

By lunchtime ~ the inner wing has been safely lowered into the desired position

Now it's safe to do so ~ I was allowed to get some shots of the wing joint area to share here on WIX :D

I don't know when the cables and pipework was cut ~ it could be this was done before the B-17 was trucked to the UK in 1975 .....

That's one side done ~ the inner wing on the other side should be detached next.

And the Vertical Stabilizer will need to come off too so the fuselage can go out thru the doors

As we can see ~ the Rudder has already been detached and gone to the Conservation Hangar.

Another quart of elbow grease has been applied to the pieces already in Hangar 5

And that's it for this photo marathon ! :wink:

Peter

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:39 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

bomberflight wrote:
Detaching the inner wing section in progress !

Inertial adjustment device for percussive persuasion ;)

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 655 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 44  Next