Switch to full style
A place where restoration project-type threads can go to avoid falling off the main page in the WIX hangar. Feel free to start threads on Restoration projects and/or warbird maintenance here. Named in memoriam for Gary Austin, a good friend of the site and known as RetroAviation here. He will be sorely missed.
Post a reply

Re: B-17G ~ 44-83735 ~ the Duxford restoration thread .....

Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:21 pm

So... what does the nose art on All American look like? :lol:

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:27 pm

:drink3:
I've been away from WIX too long... Remarkable progress.
I have made a template from our extra nose bowl and will mail it as soon as Houston quits flooding and other distractions.

I simply must come see her in person. :lol:

All the best,

SPANNER the demoted

Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:01 pm

SPANNERmkV ~ we would be happy to see you back here in "East Texas" :D

And now for the 6 PM news headlines ........

Paint !

More Paint !

And Finally .....

More news soon :wink:

Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:19 pm

WOW- You could turn it into a tribute to TEXAS RAIDERS!
:axe: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :axe:

Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:24 pm

SPANNERmkV wrote:WOW- You could turn it into a tribute to TEXAS RAIDERS!

What on earth for???
Is it about to disband????? :D
It's a different colour for a start!!!! :drinkers:

Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:30 pm

Bomberboy wrote:
SPANNERmkV wrote:WOW- You could turn it into a tribute to TEXAS RAIDERS!

What on earth for???
Is it about to disband????? :D
It's a different colour for a start!!!! :drinkers:

And if I'm counting the rivets right I think TR has more rivets around the windscreen.

But it would be great to have one on the other side of the pond... It could be like... The Movie TEXAS RAIDERS or something.

Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:54 am

Thank you for the photo of the place of the trapdoor. :D
Say I if it is possible to urtiliser your photos or needs he(it) an authorization of your part

Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:30 am

Tee Hee ! With something like only 53 B-17's left in the world ~ Don wants to add another Texas Raiders to go with the THREE Memphis Belles !

If only I could raise the money to pay for Sally B to lose the Memphis Belle look and wear RAF Coastal Command colors for a while .....

Opps sorry ! I was daydreaming about an as yet ~ unstarted thread ..... :lol:

Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:19 pm

bomberflight wrote:Tee Hee ! With something like only 53 B-17's left in the world ~ Don wants to add another Texas Raiders to go with the THREE Memphis Belles !
If only I could raise the money to pay for Sally B to lose the Memphis Belle look and wear RAF Coastal Command colors for a while .....

Ooohh yes please :supz: :supz:

bomberflight wrote:Opps sorry ! I was daydreaming about an as yet ~ unstarted thread ..... :lol:

What a tease. :axe:

Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:09 pm

bomberflight wrote:Tee Hee ! With something like only 53 B-17's left in the world ~ Don wants to add another Texas Raiders to go with the THREE Memphis Belles !

Opps sorry ! I was daydreaming about an as yet ~ unstarted thread ..... :lol:

L M A O
:drink3: :drink3: :drink3:

Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:34 pm

Bomberboy wrote:

Ooohh yes please :supz: :supz:

I would have suggested RAF too, but I would have suggested RAF bomber command colors such as this:

http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/439/pics/9_8.jpg

Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:34 pm

LMAO TOO! Great job Pedro.

I have toyed with the idea of having a split personailty B-17 ever since I saw Sally B on one side with Memphis Belle on the other.

It would be grand to have an RAF Coastal Command B-17 paint scheme on one half of SOME B-17 over there. I think you might see "local" support coming out of the hedge-rows.

Then again if you were to paint a Triangle P (384th BG) on just one side it surely wouldn't hurt my feelings.

dp

Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:18 pm

In spite of it being located in England, I don't see an RAF scheme being a popular choice, although certainly worthy of representation.

Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:50 pm

Django wrote:In spite of it being located in England, I don't see an RAF scheme being a popular choice, although certainly worthy of representation.

Agreed, considering this B-17 is a resident of the american airpower museum.

Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:25 am

For clarification .... I was daydreaming about B-17G ~ Sally B being repainted in RAF colors here in the UK ~ rather than the Memphis Belle scheme it has worn since 1989.

The B-17 at the American Air Power Museum is the one that was owned by David Tallichet ~ known as The Movie Memphis Belle.

Neither of these should be confused with the REAL Memphis Belle ~ that's being restored at Dayton by the NMUSAF.

And that was the point I was trying to get across ~ with so few B-17's left ~ why do we need three to wear the same paint scheme ?

Maybe that's a subject for separate thread on the main board on WIX ~ although I suspect we won't be able to infulence anyone over the choice of color scheme on their aircraft !

B-17G ~ 44-83735 ( Formerly known as Mary Alice ) will of course be going back into the American Air Museum at IWM Duxford and is once again wearing USAAF WW2 paint

More soon :wink:
Post a reply