Switch to full style
A place where restoration project-type threads can go to avoid falling off the main page in the WIX hangar. Feel free to start threads on Restoration projects and/or warbird maintenance here. Named in memoriam for Gary Austin, a good friend of the site and known as RetroAviation here. He will be sorely missed.
Post a reply

Anyone Cutting Stencils?

Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:41 pm

Is there anyone out there custom cutting stencils? I'm not looking for computer cut vinyl, or mask, but good old fashioned oilboard. 1/2 and 1 inch preferably.

If not, is there enough of a market to amortize buying a stencil cutter?

Re: Anyone Cutting Stencils?

Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:42 pm

Shoot me a e-mail at vtdeucedriver@yahoo.com
I have a 1/2, 3/4 and 1" marsh stencil machines. I love em and use them all the time:)

Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:31 am

Jeff-

Have you got the US wartime stencil font (fonts?) for your machine?

Dan
warbirds@shaw.ca

Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:28 pm

As in the ww2 font seen on vehicles?? These are standard stencil font. The machines are made by Marsh.

Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:26 am

Comparing modern US military stenciling to some of the surviving maintenance instruction stenciling on my BT-13, it looks like some of the individual letters have changed a bit. The wartime lettering looks more block-like, sort of a simpler looking font (to me, anyway, but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.) I'll see if I can find a few examples and scan and post them. What era are your machines from?

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:25 am

They are atleast 20+ years my guess. Send me the scan of what you find. I hope to snag a 1/4" machine soon

Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:52 pm

Dan, is this what you’re talking about? Here’s a T-28 outer wing panel that we haven’t done anything to yet. The 1” CAUTION has a bit of a radius on the A and N, while the smaller font is "blockier". (if that's a word)

Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:02 pm

How tall is the "CAUTION"?
Post a reply