Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:31 am 

Our B-17 Model ("City of Savannah") is now at the Mighty Eight Air Force Museum. We have worked hard to ensure that this mahogany replica is painted according to specifications of the actual aircraft. If anyone wants this unique aircraft made, please PM me and I will send yo a photo of this one of a kind model. We are selling this aircraft, complete with a plaque of your choice, for just $199 (plus $45 shipping and handling). If you want any more information and photos, please email us at sales@meridian-models.com. You can view our aircraft for reference on our website at: www.meridian-models.com We know you worked hard to restore this piece of aviation history, and we look forward to bringing this aircraft model for you to enjoy! This is a handcrafted and hand painted mahogany model from a company that ensures quality!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:33 pm 

Just kinda sad this aircraft is truly going to waste and not to mention you can't accurately recreate this aircraft. I mean of all the bombers in the 8th U.S.A.A.F. a museum could restore... I mean they chose the ONE they can't.

The staff of that museum need a reality check. They've truly ruined this bomber on the interior just like they ruined the fire truck they restored. :P

Laggin' Dragon

Sgt. James Dunigan, III
U.S. 509th Composite Group
U.S. 393rd Bombardment Squadron
U.S. 20th Army Air Force
Tinian Is., The Marianas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What is wrong with it?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah I'm curious as well.

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:56 pm 

Well first off... you've got Gulfstreamers working on this bird. Which is fine if you're working on private jets but these guys have no experience in restoring vintage aircraft. They are cutting corners like crazy. A true restoration is done properly not by cutting corners.

I watched as one guy just literally RIPPED hydraulic lines out of the aircraft. I mean its suppose to be restored completely and properly to non-flight status? If thats the case so why are you ripping out the aesthetic look of the interior of the aircraft? Why are they ripping out the interior components at all... they won't be used... its inside a building and it isn't going to fly... :axe: :shock:

Secondly, the interior is painted with modern green zinc chromate not the proper yellowish-green zinc chromate the original "G"'s were painted with. No paint analysis was done on this aircraft.

I can't confirm 100%... but the idea for the tail gunner section is to put it on a hinge so that the tail gunners compartment can be seen and so you can look completely through the aircraft. I got this bit of information from a VERY reliable source however and no it doesn't surprise me that this idea came up knowing this museums staff either. :roll:

Also, they plan to have traffic going through this aircraft... they obviously haven't taken into account all the lawsuits that could come from doing that. An elderly person falls or get injured inside the aircraft they're screwed... this is the age of shysters anyone will sue the crap out of you for stupid reasons these days... even if it IS your fault in the first place. Secondly, on this note... the aircraft would endure a lot of damage over the course of a year of traffic of visitors. Thirdly, why should the radio work in the aircraft? You're not going to be flying in formation and to contact another aircraft on the ground is kind of dumb... its like pantomimimg the start up procedure on a B-17... its pointless and it does nothing.

They drained all the fluid out of perfectly good engines and "claim" they're preserved? Wha? You leave perfectly good engines with no fluid in them for extended periods of time they're going to seize up and not be worth a flip. I mean didn't the museum when they got this aircraft realize this aircraft WILL NEED daily maintenance? Three of the engines have several hours on them but the No. 2 engine only has eleven hours on it. If the Smithsonian wanted to sell off one of those engines they could and when they come to take it away they'll find a seize up engine due to their ineptness.

Lastly, they have this bird... which would be PERFECT for a living history tool. On special days the museum could have dedicated living history volunteers come out and do ground crew duties on this bird for the viewing public and they could ask questions and get to see the daily ground crew jobs being done... not through pictures in a book or in a movie on a screen...

They could be changing spark plugs, cycling the props, checking the tire pressure, cleaning the guns and loading ammo, simulate fueling the aircraft, cleaning the plane...etc... but do they want that? Noooooo.... lets make this a circus park walk through and destroy the plane in the process... the staff at that museum is so naive.. the OLD staff cared about the experience, the visitors, and the heritage of the veterans who it was their job to see to it that were remembered... this current staff all they care about is money, being PC, and things that look "cool."

The 8th AF vets should be appauled by the current staffs actions. I've been a volunteer there since 2003 long before ANY of the current volunteers except a couple of them(and when I mean a couple, I mean a couple because most of them that were around when I started WERE WWII vets and have since passed away) the museum now sadly looks down upon living historians... before we had a Military Appreciation Day event that celebrated ALL the branches... now? If you're not U.S.A.A.C/U.S.A.A.F or U.S.A.F. you're not welcome there. They're in short RUDE.

Finally... this aircraft was the 5,000 aircraft to be processed through Hunter A.A.F. during WWII and all the base personnel signed the aircraft before it left for England. So, what is the Mighty 8th Air Force Museum going to do? Wake all the dead personnel from their graves and have them sign the aircraft again!?

This is why I think its stupid to recreate this aircraft... because you can't... its physically impossible. There are God knows how many aircraft they could recreate within the U.S. 8th A.A.F. yet they chose the ONE they can't. They recreated this particular aircraft because its just what it says.. the "City of Savannah"... :roll: :? Sad excuse really but hey... I'm not a volunteer there anymore... so if it ends up being destroyed... "I" didn't do it... and be afraid when I say... "told you so."

Respectfully,
Laggin' Dragon

P.S. - As to the fire truck... Can you say "lets pimp out our ride for the fire call in Normandy!?"... :roll: :? :shock:

P.S.S. - When they got this truck it was RED! Doh! :roll: :shock: :?

Sgt. James Dunigan, III
U.S. 20th Army Air Force
Tinian Is., The Marianas

Last edited by Laggin' Dragon on Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's OK, the 1941 KENWORTH fire truck that the MoF got from Boeing (with around 5000 total miles on it!) was drab green because it was painted that way when new and Boeing kept it that color, the MoF repainted it red.
The hack work makes me all warm and fuzzy over what might roll out the Door @ Charleston.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:10 pm 

The Inspector wrote:
That's OK, the 1941 KENWORTH fire truck that the MoF got from Boeing (with around 5000 total miles on it!) was drab green because it was painted that way when new and Boeing kept it that color, the MoF repainted it red.
The hack work makes me all warm and fuzzy over what might roll out the Door @ Charleston.

I know some were OD but they weren't "Pimp My Ride" gloss OD with invasion stars. I'm just say'n... they didn't do any paint analysis on the fire truck which doesn't surprise me. They aren't very thorough at the Mighty 8th.

Laggin' Dragon

Sgt. James Dunigan, III
U.S. 20th Army Air Force
Tinian Is., The Marianas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:50 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I was under the impression from what I've read and the pictures I've seen that this was a solid restoration done under the distant supervision and approval of the NASM (it's their aircraft on loan to the Mighty 8th). Of course, I'm not there to see it first hand. It's not unusual to drain the fluids from static engines. This is after all, not an engine breakdown and rebuild like was done on the Enola Gay and other Smithsonian aircraft. Usually, they run some preservative through the motors to coat everything...no big deal. An engine can put up with a lot of abuse. This aircraft will certainly be in better hands than sitting outside rotting on static display like a lot of B-17's...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:31 am 

APG85 wrote:
I was under the impression from what I've read and the pictures I've seen that this was a solid restoration done under the distant supervision and approval of the NASM (it's their aircraft on loan to the Mighty 8th). Of course, I'm not there to see it first hand. It's not unusual to drain the fluids from static engines. This is after all, not an engine breakdown and rebuild like was done on the Enola Gay and other Smithsonian aircraft. Usually, they run some preservative through the motors to coat everything...no big deal. An engine can put up with a lot of abuse. This aircraft will certainly be in better hands than sitting outside rotting on static display like a lot of B-17's...

Ummm... yeah theres no supervision... and from knowing and seeing the NASM's restorations this wouldn't even come close to their standards.

And even with preservatives in the engine... you can still cycle them and never damage them in anyway. Yet these Gulfstreamers think you will...

and granted this is better than it sitting outside but, at least recreate an aircraft you can recreate. I'd personally like to see one of lesser seen groups... you rarely see any markings of the 100th, 305th, 351st, 381st, another aircraft from the 388th, 398th or the 401st would be nice in my honest opinion. To recreate an aircraft just because its called the "City of Savannah" is pretty cheesy. :roll:

100th Bomb Group:

305th Bomb Group:

351st Bomb Group:

381st Bomb Group:

388th Bomb Group:

398th Bomb Group:

401st Bomb Group:

Regards,
Laggin' Dragon

Sgt. James Dunigan, III
U.S. 20th Army Air Force
Tinian Is., The Marianas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:56 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The CAF-Gulf Coast Wing at David Wayne Hooks Airport in Spring, Texas has molds for the side plexi-glass panels for the top turret.

When we got our new ones made we still had to trim them to fit and drill the screw-holes.

Anyhow... should y'all be interested shoot a PM my way.

SPANNER

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:34 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Any updated restoration pictures? They don't post any on the Mighty 8th web site any more...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:32 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Well, it's nice to see it being looked after, anyway. This airplane is part of my family history. My Dad got his B-17 Type Rating on it in 1960, working for Kenting, when it was CF-HBP. They ranged far and wide -- and very high! -- taking photos to map large swathes of the planet.

Mind you, back then it was only 15 years old, practically new....

Best of luck with it,

Dave