Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:24 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Is there a chance that the Radio Compass panel had indicator lights in the positions where there are now rosebuds ... meaning bulbs that showed which switch position was selected? Not a critique, just a question.

Ken

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:59 pm 

The B6 grip is made tough. Wipe clean with a moist cloth and dry. Try some plastic polish in a small area to find if it will take the bleaching away. The one I have had overspray paint and was dull in appearance. I replaced the hat switch, that takes some interesting disassembly, but it is not difficult. I used a clean cloth and a small amount of plastic polish. The overspray paint came off with light buffing and the overall surface is black.

cadet77

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:05 pm 

Ken,

The panel may have had indicator lights, it was stripped when I got it. If you have a photo of a similar example, please post and I will see if I can source the parts to make it correct.

Thanks

cadet77

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:38 pm 

I tested the polish idea and I liked the results so far, much better than I hoped for. I liked the original look better than a freshly paint look.

Any idea on how the switch out some of the smaller buttons?, as you had some success on the 4way button switch.

Andrew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:07 pm 

Andrew,

The push button switches can be removed from the grip without taking the pin base apart. Remove the screw and carefully ease the switch out of the grip body.
There may be some black epoxy over the screws, easy to remove and replace. Desolder and install new switch.

cadet77

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:07 pm 

Love what you have done. I was thinking about getting an F-86L nose from Tuscon about 3 years ago when I reallized that the shipping back to Atlanta would sink the deal. I found an F-84F fuselage nearby, got it for a great price but it is still the red-headed stepchild of the Saber! I have a few spares including an F-86L main instrument panel that I have almost rebuilt. I also have the frame and radar scope from either a -D or an -L, not sure which since some of the panel screws are just a hair off from fitting the frame. Let me know if you need any of this to complete your project, I have a feeling that you are more organized than me but some of these parts are getting harder to find. If you had any idea how hard it is to find a canopy for an F-84F, the glass and a main instrument panel you would laugh. I am still looking! I figure that it will be worth it when it is done! Besides, what is a better never-ending project than an old jet fighter? Maybe a bomber.....oh well! We got both!

Mark
pharokn@aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:52 am 

Looks like the B-8 grips I have are lacking those retaining screws or else they were sealed over at some point in their lives. A bit of a mystery but I do like a challenge.

Thanks,

Andrew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:09 pm 

Installed the radar compartment access door assembly on one fuselage.

The air conditioning access panel is installed.

Panel assemblies need some work to repair holes and bends from rough handling. Things to do. :)

cadet77

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:45 pm 

Any chance you could post a few pictures taken from the back of the cockpit sections?

Andrew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:48 pm 

From the aft end of the fuselage, inside photos of where the engine goes.

cadet77

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:06 am 

Thanks for the additional fuselage pictures. Looks like time and the dry desert like storage environment has been quite kind to these ladies. Nice to see a lot of the plumbing appears to still be in place.

What is difference between F86H-1 and F86H-10? I did a quick check online and nothing really came up specific to the two variants.

Andrew

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:28 pm 

Andrew,

The big difference between the F86H-1 and F86H-10 is the armament. The F86H-1 had six 50s and the F86H-10 had four 20 mm cannons. Other differences were in the air start system. The F86H-10 was equipped with an air pump to feed the two 3000 psi air bottles for air starts. This feature is missing from the F86H-1.

cadet77

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:34 am 

Removed the lower aft access panel from one cockpit fuselage and found the manual hydraulic pump intact and unmolested. The pump handle is missing. Checked the other cockpit fuselage and found pump handle still in the brackets, but the manual hydraulic pump was removed. Second photo shows the handle installed in the manual hydraulic pump.
Now to find a copy of the T.O.
More photos after dusting.

cadet77

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:31 am 

A nice find..no mice yet :wink: . Do your F86s fuselages have an aircraft manuf data tags still on them and if so where are they located?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:15 am 

Data plates were removed. Either collected or demil.

cadet77

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next