Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:38 pm 

If you want to help our we are seeking donations of some engine parts. Sadly our 2800 was battered from being outside for 50+ years.
We are looking for an assortment of push rod tubes, baffles, a Magneto, Intake and Exhaust clamps etc. If you have any non airworthy parts or have a few bits in the corner of the shop let us know. We would love to replace 4 of the Jugs that rotted out, ours would be great for a cut away and we would trade you for a decent jug that looks good on the exterior. Please PM me if you can help. We are about to make some real progress on putting the engine back together if we can find the bits were missing!

We have some trade fodder, a few old radial carbs and Mags that we have duplicates of. As well as a bunch of H-34 Tail rotor boxes (great for cutaways or display)

Thanks!
Drew

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:55 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Cherrybomber13 wrote:
If you want to help our we are seeking donations of some engine parts. Sadly our 2800 was battered from being outside for 50+ years.
We are looking for an assortment of push rod tubes, baffles, a Magneto, Intake and Exhaust clamps etc. If you have any non airworthy parts or have a few bits in the corner of the shop let us know. We would love to replace 4 of the Jugs that rotted out, ours would be great for a cut away and we would trade you for a decent jug that looks good on the exterior. Please PM me if you can help. We are about to make some real progress on putting the engine back together if we can find the bits were missing!

We have some trade fodder, a few old radial carbs and Mags that we have duplicates of. As well as a bunch of H-34 Tail rotor boxes (great for cutaways or display)

Thanks!
Drew

Drew, give PRECISION AIRMOTIVE in Everett, WA a call (360) 651-8282 to see if they can either help or point you to someone, their main money comes from overhauling R-2800's and they might be able to furnish you with a good appearing but worn out set of jugs-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:21 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Actually, I'd go to Anderson Aeromotive first. Unless Precision has changed substantially, they weren't doing so well so I'm not sure they'd have a lot of old parts or be willing to do donations.

Also, what R2800 variant is it? Some CB3 parts and CB16 parts aren't interchangeable. I have a contact that might be able to help, but I need to know what variant and if you've got a specific need list, PM it to me. He's got a bunch of parts and I can expedite the process if I have an actual part list to go to him with.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:13 pm 

The 2800 B engine is a world war 2 engine. The CA and CB engines came later for comercial use.
Aircraft Cylinder & Turbine was a major dealer in these engines and the cylinders. We purchased the company in summer of 2007 and moved it to Tehachapi Ca.
Its new name is Vintage Radials, 1582 Goodrick, Tehachapi CA 93561
website http://www.vintageradials.com
send me a note at the site as to what you need and I will check the pile
Mike Nixon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:20 am 

Looking for a good supplier of P&W Hardware. We are about to replace the jugs on the block but I have 270 reasons why we can't.
I need 7/16 20 cylinder holddown nuts and Palnuts. Suppliers? Ive searched and cant get a good hit for 2800 specific stuff. It looks like were going to need a full set of pushrod tubes and nuts as well as a full set of Baffels. Also looking for a worn out carb to hang on the bottom. how about a prop governor?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:53 pm 

Cherrybomber13 wrote:
Looking for a good supplier of P&W Hardware. We are about to replace the jugs on the block but I have 270 reasons why we can't.
I need 7/16 20 cylinder holddown nuts and Palnuts. Suppliers? Ive searched and cant get a good hit for 2800 specific stuff. It looks like were going to need a full set of pushrod tubes and nuts as well as a full set of Baffels. Also looking for a worn out carb to hang on the bottom. how about a prop governor?

Did you check with Mike just above your post?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:02 am 

So I finally got a list from our guys. These are what we need to finish a large portion of the restoration on the engine.
Any help would be greatly appreciated by the museum and the Corsair Memorial team.

We are still looking for a Magneto, prop governor and carburetor and also P&W # 45054 carb spacer and 85807 assembly, the scoop for the 3 barrel carb with the back fire valves.
We are looking for:
# 9 Pratt & Whitney #81397 Cover - Push Rod Tube Upper Need 16
#10 Pratt & Whitney #75538 Cover - Push Rod Tube Lower Need 16
# 12 Pratt & Whitney #86040 Push Rod Tube Joiner Rubber Need 36
# 13 Pratt & Whitney #28604 Nut Push Rod Tub Union Need 32

P&W Pushrod Tubes R-2800B-10 by Cherry Bomb Photography, on Flickr

Also looking for the thermocoupler assembly. Based on the parts book is shows 1 unit being needed but I would have assumed more than that.
P&W Thermocoupler assembly R-2800 B -10 by Cherry Bomb Photography, on Flickr

The baffles for the Corsairs engine are toast. we may have 1 complete cylinder if hard pressed. They took the brunt of the damage and mostly dissolved and corroded very badly.
Untitled by Cherry Bomb Photography, on Flickr
Untitled by Cherry Bomb Photography, on Flickr