Switch to full style
A place where restoration project-type threads can go to avoid falling off the main page in the WIX hangar. Feel free to start threads on Restoration projects and/or warbird maintenance here. Named in memoriam for Gary Austin, a good friend of the site and known as RetroAviation here. He will be sorely missed.
Post a reply

DeHavilland Sea Venom FAW.53 WZ-897

Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:09 am

A recently started project of mine, former RAN Sea Venom WZ-897 currently held by the Thomas aircraft collection (formerly known as the Camden air museum) at Harrington park NSW.
It was retired from service in 1966 and partially scrapped, the fuselage pod was saved though gutted.
For starters I'm concentrating on cleaning out decades of assorted muck, treating a lot of corrosion and finding all the workings. The woodwork is in fantastic condition with
no visible delamination. The fabric covering is original and intact though the paint is flaking in several areas. The cockpit is very bare with the entire starboard console removed, all the instruments and avionics are gone but what's there is intact and repairable. I've scrounged about 80% of the missing parts for the office.
I spent last weekend sorting through a rats nest of wiring in the gun bay, after several hours of untangling and profanity it looks like I dont have to rewire as much as originally thought.
I have a complete and runnable engine and if I am able to locate the wings, booms and tail of one of the many wrecks around the country the goal of the project would be a complete taxyable aircraft.
This is my fifth Sea Venom resto since 1981.

Re: DeHavilland Sea Venom FAW.53 WZ-897

Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:46 am

Your fifth Sea Venom restoration? You should be able to do one in your sleep by now! :lol:
Maybe do an A4 next, looks like you have the experience. The RNZAF gave one of your old A4Gs back, see if you convince them to make it a flyer.Maybe then we could get one of ours back in the air by going "See? The Aussies are allowed to fly theirs!" :wink:
Baz
New Zealand

Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:11 pm

Cool project!

Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:22 am

When I was there I was told the wings were out the back.

Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:30 am

The wings out the back are from our two Vampires, an F.30 (A79-14) and a T.22 trainer (XA-101)

Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:46 pm

I beleive QAM has spare tailbooms and wings.

Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:19 pm

Be nice to see a Sea Venom fly again. I take it this one wont be?

Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:28 am

Not a flyer unfortunately, far beyond our budget. Depending on finding wings etc a runnable airframe is doable.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:28 pm

Steve, it is great to see you guys are moving along.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:38 am

A bit of treasure hunting

I now have enough parts to fit out the rear bulkhead which as you can see badly needs some attention.

Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:58 am

Great project.
It looks pretty daunting. :shock:
Knowing you have parts and experience makes me look forward to seeing your progress.

Andy Scott

Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:05 pm

Still sorting parts

On the plus side I have nearly everything to complete the cockpit,

I've fitted the engine mounts, some hydraulics and untangled some of the wiring. I want to get everything up on the bulkhead to see
what is and isn't there before worrying about painting etc.

Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:40 pm

Yesterdays effort
Rebuild & reinstalled the port side hydraulic manifold and filter block
Refitted layshaft bearings for the throttle & HP
installed ammo cover, oxy taps and some UHF wiring in the ammo bay

Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:34 am

Popped out the instrument panel to treat some corrosion in the magnesium structure, the rest of what's in there appears ok
except for the cut wiring (I'd really like to met that side cutter wielding sod!)

It turned out the instrument panel fitted didnt belong to 897 but had been replaced with one from WZ-902 at some stage.
I had 897's in amongst the spares heap so now I can start rewiring and rebuilding it.

Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:35 am

Thanks for the update :)
Post a reply