Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Propeller repair shop
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:18 pm 

Looking for a shop to do some blade repair. Specifically, straightening some blades. Not badly bent but have some 'wave' in them that needs to be straightened & returned to sevicable condition.

Any recomendations of you favorite shop appreciated.

CraigQ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:43 pm 
FAC Pilot
FAC Pilot

Byam at Meacham Field, Fort Worth did a great job on one of my rear blades that was slightly bent in two directions due to a tool or rebar being picked up off runway at full take-off power several years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:30 am 

LadyO2Pilot wrote:
Byam at Meacham Field, Fort Worth did a great job on one of my rear blades that was slightly bent in two directions due to a tool or rebar being picked up off runway at full take-off power several years ago.

Thank you much, will put him on the list.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:52 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

What type of prop? San Antonio Propeller is a lot closer to Uvalde.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:00 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

2X for Byam but like Ober said, San Antonio Propeller is closer to Uvalde. Byam just finish my prop as well. Are you liking Texas better than Virginia??

Lynn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:17 am 

Lynn Allen wrote:
2X for Byam but like Ober said, San Antonio Propeller is closer to Uvalde. Byam just finish my prop as well. Are you liking Texas better than Virginia??

Lynn

Hi Lynn, been awhile, hope your doing well. The blades are Curtiss Electric. Texas is hotter and drier in this part but the cost of living is cheaper. Also almost a days drive closer to the kids in Arkansas.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:16 pm 
FAC Pilot
FAC Pilot

Just a follow up, as Ober mentioned, San Antonio Prop is closer. I also had some work done with them while based in the area. It was not repair work per se......I was very pleased with what they did but it was just picking up the prop and replacing seals. I just don't have experience with them straightening blades....hopefully someone that has will chime in.

I did have a damaged blade replaced by the former counterpart location (Jordan prop) in Houston area about 14 years ago. Ultimately was pleased by the work but very displeased that it took over two months to find a blade and install it.

Although the distance may be prohibitive for you, Byam Prop not only straightened and repaired my blade, they did it much quicker than I imagined and for a very reasonable price. I have also used them for a prop governor overhaul during an engine change and one of the their people came to my hangar to reinstall and balance the prop after that change. All the work was done well, timely and reasonably priced.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:58 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

CraigQ wrote:
Lynn Allen wrote:

Lynn

Hi Lynn, been awhile, hope your doing well. The blades are Curtiss Electric. Texas is hotter and drier in this part but the cost of living is cheaper. Also almost a days drive closer to the kids in Arkansas.

When I get my C-140A back together, I'll come down for lunch...