Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:09 am 

Does anyone have a solution for our C-49 Control pedestal configuration whereby the mixture controls and the carb heat controls are not only reversed, but the position for the mixture controls are backwards as compared to the normal situation of having dile cuttoff closest to the tail of the plane followed by auto lean, auto rich and emergency, ours has the idle cutoff at the far forward position (towards the nose) and pulling toward the rear, auto lean, then auto rich and finally emergency at the far aft position. This set up is similar to British method of reversing the mixture controls. We have off course in the C-49 the Wright 1820's instead of the normal C-47 Pratt Whittney 1830's. Our feelings are that sooner later in an emergency, someone is going to screw up and make a mistake which would absolutely ruin our day. So instead of "Balls to Wall", we are met with total silence.
We were thinking maybe of trying to find a standard C-47 pedestal and then reworking the linkages at the carb. end. If that is plausible, then how would we get it ceritified, 337 on a field approval?????
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
James Dagg
Operating "Boop B Doop"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:14 pm 

I didn't realize a Douglas was ever built this way. I operate a C-47 and a B-17. The B-17 is set up "backwards" as well. I am very careful about how I touch mixture controls on museum airplanes. I can't speak to your planned fix, but so far we have managed to live with "it" if you will for 20 years.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:09 pm 

At the begining of the war, faced with a critical shortage of transport planes, the Army Air Force took control of not only several civilian airliners and pressed them into service, but also took over about a dozen that were on the assembly lines destined for the airlines. These aircraft were designated C-49's and we believe that it was then that they installed the double wide cargo doors. However they did come our with Wright engines.
After talking to several other operators since this was posted today, we think that there are two courses to follow. Either to do as you have suggested, or, just reassign and re-lable them after changing the linkages on the carbs. and get a field approval. We are leaning toward the latter as we switch crews between our C-47 and the C-49. We feel that there is just too much of a chance for a screw up. ?????
Thanks, and I didn't know that about the B-17. Learn something new everyday.
Your are with the Yankee Air Force I think? Or at least your name rings a bell.
If so, you've got a great museum there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:30 am 

Good luck, I think you are doing the right thing if you are operating two nearly identical aircraft. We were in touch four or five years ago on C-47 radio racks or other want/trade kinds of issues. Yes I'm associated with Yankee and again thanks.