Switch to full style
A place where restoration project-type threads can go to avoid falling off the main page in the WIX hangar. Feel free to start threads on Restoration projects and/or warbird maintenance here. Named in memoriam for Gary Austin, a good friend of the site and known as RetroAviation here. He will be sorely missed.
Post a reply

Zero stuck in tree since WW2?

Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:37 pm

So where is this, and why is it in a tree? lol

Re: Zero stuck in tree since WW2?

Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:12 am

I don't know but as soon as the WIX brain trust informs us, let's go get it! :drink3:

Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:21 pm

I have the vague memory of a movie prop from many years ago......

Sorry if I can any more info to my brain fart :roll:

Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:56 pm

davidwomacks wrote:So where is this, and why is it in a tree? lol

It thinks it is a bird ? since it is not on the ground, can the pilot still be logging flight time ? How many hours would that be since say 1943 ?

I doubt it is real, no way it could still be up there after how many hundred of tropical storms.

Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:26 pm

i'm curious!! pop1 pop1

Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:24 pm

It's on a pole. If you look carefully you can see one of the support legs on the starboard side. The trees have grown up high making it sorta look like it is in the tress. I don't remember where it is but there are other pics on the web of it with a green paint job.

Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:08 pm

Unidentified Zeke 21 salvaged from Tobera airfield in the early 1970's and set up as a war memorial at Malmaluan
its on a hill over looking Rabaul harbour.

From "Pacific aircraft wrecks and where to find them" by Charles Darby

Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:44 pm

Yep because keeping your airplanes on a stick as a memorial will preserve them for many generations to come... Keep the memories alive, put the darn thing inside...

Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:50 pm

OK...found this old pic in my database.....same one?

Same place?
up as a war memorial at Malmaluan its on a hill over looking Rabaul harbour.

Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:25 pm

Those always look like such small planes. I can't imagine what it was like taking one of those off an aircraft carrier into open ocean.

Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:48 am

some knob head put this zero in the ocean as a "dive site"... he should be lynched

Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:39 pm

some knob head put this zero in the ocean as a "dive site"... he should be lynched

fiftycal....some reference to that?

Tks

Michel

Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:44 pm

http://www.pacificwrecks.com/aircraft/a ... chers.html

Removal
After the collapse of the display the wreck languished for years. It was later removed by Peter Leggett of the Kula Lodge and sunk in Talili Bay as a SCUBA diving site.

this happened in 2000, the guy should be lynched

Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:09 pm

Wow......imagine the chuck of change he would have got for even a 1960 vintage twin with transport included!!!!

Tks
Post a reply