Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:42 am 

Looking for some Bird Dog insight from the community. I did my first L-19 training flight yesterday (training to be a glider tow pilot) and found the throttle/mixture/carb heat levers much harder to move than any other taildragger I've flown. They feel as if there's throttle friction firmly set but, from what I can tell, there is no throttle friction on the airplane.

Just trying to figure out if this is normal for the L-19 or a potential linkage issue? I'm finding it difficult to perform any minor throttle adjustments due to the force needed to move the levers.

Aircraft is an L-19A modified at some point with electric flaps.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:55 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I'm sure there are L-19 guys on here that can tell you exactly, but (if my memory serves me correctly) some throttles have a nut behind the faceplate or on the back of the quadrant that effectively sets the friction by sandwiching the various layers of the quadrant tighter and tighter. May see if that is easily accessible. You could also disconnect the linkage at the throttle and try to move it to see if that's the issue... Should just be a clevis bolt if it's anything like an L-5. Likely in the quadrant though. I like the throttle set decently tight (I check the friction in the T-6 before every takeoff). Don't want it backing off on you if you have to use your left hand elsewhere. If I need to make small movements I rest my wrist on the quadrant itself and lightly hold the main portion of the throttle lever (not the knob), letting my thumb and pointer finger do the minute movements. Works well, especially in formation. Just one person's technique though. Hope someone with more L-19 specific knowledge comes along.

P.S. Would love to see pic's of the L-19 with a banner in tow!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:07 pm 

I'm with Taylor's post. Disconnect the flex cables at the quad and see how free the quad moves. I'm betting the flex shafts are gummed up and sticky and causing your stiffness. Could also be kinked somewhere forward of firewall and causing the problem also.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:30 am 

Thanks for your comments. With no prior Bird Dog experience, I can only compare to other taildraggers I've flown. My L-2 has a throttle friction knob and I half expected the L-19 would, as well. I'll see about disconnecting the quandrant and see how it feels. All three levers require a fair amount of pressure to move -- particularly the carb heat. The throttle is stiff enough that I ended up needing my back against the seatback prior to advancing it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:32 am 

I hope you have solved your problem by now!

However, if it any use, my throttle needs a pull of 4lbs for it to move in either direction.

John