Switch to full style
A place where restoration project-type threads can go to avoid falling off the main page in the WIX hangar. Feel free to start threads on Restoration projects and/or warbird maintenance here. Named in memoriam for Gary Austin, a good friend of the site and known as RetroAviation here. He will be sorely missed.
Post a reply

RCAF Avro Lancaster Mk.10 AR KB882 Restoration

Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:17 am

KB882 Needs YOU!
Last edited by LancasterKB882 on Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: RCAF Avro Lancaster Mk.10 AR KB882 Restoration

Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:56 pm

What is the status of the project right now? This is very interesting and exciting news!

Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:07 am

Status

Mon May 09, 2016 11:51 am

I have heard that the crowdfunding of the move of KB882 to Edmonton fell short of the requirements.

Apparently Edmundston, NB. are now considering their options.

Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:59 pm

The latest information that I have heard is that the Avro Lancaster, Serial Number KB 882, is to be restored and displayed at the National Air Force Museum of Canada at Trenton, Ontario.

Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:34 pm

Fantastic news! I can't wait to come see her when she's complete!

Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:21 pm

The projected restoration date for the Lancaster is April 1st 2024 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the creation of the Royal Canadian Air Force.

Unfortunately it is too late to start the dismantling of the aircraft before winter sets in and it will be Spring of 2017 before we can get it into our restoration shop.

Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:41 am

hallibagger wrote:Unfortunately it is too late to start the dismantling of the aircraft before winter sets in and it will be Spring of 2017 before we can get it into our restoration shop.

I'm assuming KB882 will take priority in the restoration shop in order to get her finished by 2024, so what happens to the Anson and Hudson in the meantime?
I suppose that it also means that Nomad 3521 will be years away from and sort of conservation work. :(

:partyman:

Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:21 am

The Anson is just about complete and is being prepared for painting. It will then be dismantled and moved into the display area and re-assembled.

The Hudson is sitting outside awaiting the acquisition of suitable cowlings and engine mounts. The engines have been stripped and cleaned and are being reassembled.

The Beech 18, Expeditor is being reassembled and it can be stored outside.

When the Lancaster arrives the workshop space will be made available.

Unfortunately the Nomad is some way down the list.

Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:50 pm

Halibagger they where given the drawings for the engine mounts,or get pby mounts cut off the legs and weld new ones to match the fire wall mounts, we supplied the mount for the Zero that was built in Manitoba,by the Blayd Group.Also Phy cowls are very close to Pw powered Hudsons.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:06 pm

Helinut, any idea who received the drawings?

They did do some measuring a few weeks ago and they seemed about ready to tack up a mount, then the aircraft was wrapped in plastic and pushed outside.

I will make some inquiries as to what happened to the drawings!

Thanks for the info.

Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:44 am

No,not byname there were 25 rolls of microfilm drawing sent up, just after you received the fuselage,I gave them to Acams rep,who was in contact with the curator there.why did they fill in the turret location the steel cover was original, I have seen another one of those covers on another Hudson years ago .

Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:47 pm

Hi Helinut,

I remember the rolls of microfilm, the person that had them has since left the restoration shop.

I cannot answer your question on the turret opening cover, I will try to find out from one of the guys who worked on it. I have been working on rebuilding the Avro Anson for the past 10 years and we really do not talk 'shop' during the coffee breaks.

Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:36 am

Hi Helinut,

OK here is what I have been able to find out:

The 25 rolls of microfilm are still here, the problem we have is that neither the museum nor the base appear to have a device to allow us to view or print the drawings. It is not holding us up as we have collected a selection of engine mounts.

Buffalo Airways donated a couple of DC-3 engines along with the mounts and cowlings. The engines have been completely stripped down and are currently being re-assembled.

The 'Hudson Mk VI' came from the Halifax area where it apparently originated from a scrapyard. The aircraft had been in use as a Lifeboat dropping aircraft and had seen "action" in WW II. When we received it the 'Hudson' was basically a fuselage with the wing spars cut off at the fuselage with a civilian modified nose and a crushed rear fuselage.

The nose had been modified at some time in it's life and this had to be rebuilt back to it's original military configuration.

To fix the damage to the rear fuselage this had to be completely rebuilt which was the reason for the replacement of the turret cover.

Lodestar wings and tail were acquired from, I believe, California. Thus, you can see the problem with the engine mounts, which will require that the DC-3 mounts will need to be modified to attach to the Lodestar engine mount anchor points. With this done we can then re construct the Lodestar nacelles to blend with the DC-3 engine cowlings.

The Hudson is currently parked outside, outer wings removed, covered with a plastic cover, it is sitting on it's undercarriage legs on dollies. We do have the wheels, I am not sure about tires.

Hallibagger

Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:22 pm

Ya I know all about the Hudson and its history,Iam the one that found it in 1988, and aranged its donation,and met two pilots that flew it during the war.,and spent years gathering up parts from Cox Aviation ,and the Ventura wing wing from a lake here in NS.the nose came from California, the center section and wings came from Alberta,I heard that you can't weld one the Dc 3 mounts that's why the Blayd group wanted PBY mounts.I used to look at the micro film by going to the local library and the one at the local university the I could photocopy the images.
Post a reply