Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:54 pm 

Hi,

I’m looking for someone that knows his or her way around the Ranger engines type: 6-410B-2A 165HP 6 cylinder line engines.
We operate an Fairchild 24R9 with an 6-410B-2A engine.
As far as I can remember, we had troubles with engine performance, so after a while, they called me to take a closer look in relation with the poor engine performance.
I quickly find out that the 6-410B-2A data plate on the engine, had different valve opening and closing settings that did not make any sense if I took a good look in the overhaul books I have.

I than found out that I have an camshaft installed that cooperated with the data in the overhaul manual. Basically, the 6-410B-2 & -3 engines have a valve opening cycle bigger that previous types.
So my question here is where is the missing link regarding my data plate on the engine telling me a whole other story?
Can someone share some light on this?

My data plate on the engine tells me:
Inlet opens 3deg. Early / closes 51deg. Late
Exhaust opens 55deg. Early / closes 20deg. Late
Intake remains open: 234 deg.
Exhaust remains open: 255 deg.

The overhaul manual tells me:
Inlet opens 15deg. Before TDC / closes 65deg. After BDC
Exhaust opens 70deg. Before BDC / closes 30deg. After BDC
Intake remains open: 260 deg.
Exhaust remains open: 280 deg.

Eventually I developed tooling to adjust the camshaft on the Ranger engine. With laser guiding I was able to adjust it to within halve of a degree i.a.w. information in the overhaul manual.
But poor engine performance still remains.

Any idea’s or shared experiences?

The Early Birds Fairchild
The "Early Birds" Fairchild was built in 1939 with serial number R9-418. In the same year it was transported to Europe on SS. "Mauritania" (cargo papers were still available in Switzerland where '418' was registered as HB-EIM). First military registered 43-14454 it later was in service with the RAF as FS537. For a long time this Fairchild flew a regular mail-service in Switzerland. Since the early eighties of the last century it is part of the EB-collection. After a most meticulous restoration it is now airworthy and registered as "aircraft of historic significance" on the Dutch civil register as PH-FAI.