Switch to full style
A place where restoration project-type threads can go to avoid falling off the main page in the WIX hangar. Feel free to start threads on Restoration projects and/or warbird maintenance here. Named in memoriam for Gary Austin, a good friend of the site and known as RetroAviation here. He will be sorely missed.
Post a reply

Experimental Exhibition - missing data plate

Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:40 pm

I've got an opportunity to buy an old de Havilland Chipmunk, English version. I used to own one but had to sell it a few years ago. They are wonderful planes to fly. I have a lot of spare parts including a spare Gipsy Major. This plane, for reasons that no one can explain, has no data plate and the logs are missing. It's in the experimental exhibition category.

I've been searching for a straight answer on the data plate question. I'd like to restore it but without a data plate, can I register it and fly it?

Thanks
Dave

Re: Experimental Exhibition - missing data plate

Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:30 pm

First thing that I would do is order the FAA file on the aircraft. Assuming a good file and the a/c hasn't been destroyed on paper, then talk to a DAR that is versed in warbirds. I would do it all before making the purchase, or make it contingent on being able to clean up the paperwork and make it legal.

Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:14 pm

Cvairwerks wrote:First thing that I would do is order the FAA file on the aircraft. Assuming a good file and the a/c hasn't been destroyed on paper, then talk to a DAR that is versed in warbirds. I would do it all before making the purchase, or make it contingent on being able to clean up the paperwork and make it legal.

This is very good advice. I would add is there an official heir to de-Havilland that might be able to issue you a replacement data plate? They would probably want ensure the same things Cvairwerks has mentioned. I understand that some British aircraft have the serial or construction number mounted on a plate on the main spar or center section. If true that ought to establish the true identity of the airframe.

Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:42 pm

You can make a replacement data plate.

Just make sure you have a complete trail for the bill of sale from the last time it was FAA registered.

Assuming this is all being done in the US...
Post a reply