Switch to full style
A place where restoration project-type threads can go to avoid falling off the main page in the WIX hangar. Feel free to start threads on Restoration projects and/or warbird maintenance here. Named in memoriam for Gary Austin, a good friend of the site and known as RetroAviation here. He will be sorely missed.
Post a reply

Metal forming question

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:53 pm

I have some deeply compound-curved skins to form, and have come to the conclusion that a concrete female mold will be best. Tried it freehand; the results were not up to what I wanted to see.

So, a question - what strength of concrete would work the best, and what kind of reinforcement? I'm assuming chicken wire would probably be adequate? How much cover over the reinforcement? Should the working surface of the form be coated in epoxy?

The material is 063 2024T0 (it'll be HT'd to T4 after forming), and I'm assuming that I'll be hand-hammering, though I might use a planishing hammer if my arms get too tired. This will likely be used for one or two skins, but if there's demand I'd like to make the form durable enough for further use.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and replies.

Re: Metal forming question

Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:32 pm

Put this question into the legend of sheetmetal work thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=52024

Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:39 am

If you don't get the answer you're looking for here, try this board:

http://www.allmetalshaping.com/index.php

Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:40 pm

I would think that stretching over a male die (stretch forming) would give you better results. That is how it is done in industry.

Depending on the shape, you might be able to do this rather simply with your form, some clamps and a hydraulic jack.

http://www.custompartnet.com/wu/images/ ... orming.png

Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:17 am

On the recent video of Kermit Weeks at where his Boeing is being rebuilt the guy mentions using a concrete Moldova lined with indoor outdoor carpet.maybe a good idea I think the carpet would soften the blows and not transfer the concrete marks to the metal.

Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:17 am

On the recent video of Kermit Weeks at where his Boeing is being rebuilt the guy mentions using a concrete Moldova lined with indoor outdoor carpet.maybe a good idea I think the carpet would soften the blows and not transfer the concrete marks to the metal.
Post a reply