Switch to full style
A place where restoration project-type threads can go to avoid falling off the main page in the WIX hangar. Feel free to start threads on Restoration projects and/or warbird maintenance here. Named in memoriam for Gary Austin, a good friend of the site and known as RetroAviation here. He will be sorely missed.
Post a reply

new engine parts

Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:27 pm

A question for radial engine operators; are you able to get new parts like crankshafts,pistons, rods,valves and valve springs,cylinders, and camshafts or do you just have to find old parts that are still within tolerances? I'm guessing some parts like rings,bearings,gaskets,and spark plugs are still being made new.I know I'm leaving out a bunch of other parts but I'm trying to keep my question kind of short.Thanks.

Re: new engine parts

Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:21 am

There are some parts available as new, like cylinders and I thought someone was making heads, valves, gaskets, seals, carburetor diaphragms and maybe a few other miscellaneous carb parts, no crankshafts, no crank cases, yes for some fasteners, ignition parts etc. I don't think there are any new main or rod bearings made just remanufactured stuff, the bad one would be the main for R-3350's they are large rolling element bearings, there must still be some NOS of them around. I think there are new pistons available and rings and normal high wear type, and parts easily destroyed during operation. Large radial crankcases would be the most difficult to PMA because of the size and the manufacturing processes, they are large forgings, not weak castings like some engines. Yes some pins and bushings are PMA as well. Again mostly wear items other than the crankshafts and cam rings etc. The main thing that determines if parts are now manufactured new for radial engines is the demand for them. Since it isn't like it was even 15 years ago with the fire bomber planes or 40 years ago when radials were still being used for a lot of cargo transport, there would be very little coming back for the very high expenditure for the tooling to manufacture the large and difficult parts, and then of course the huge insurance bill in case the part or parts break or fail in some way, and cause a crash that cost many millions in liability claims. With aviation that is a huge issue the liability costs.

Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:26 am

Thanks.

Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:57 pm

What happened to all the NOS stuff Harry Hector had at his place when it closed down a few months back? They had so much stuff they gave me a NOS 1820 master rod to hang on the wall.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:56 am

There were new R-1340 crankshafts being made at one time, but I think they were subject to an AD note limiting their life.

Also, Aero Engines were selling "new" upgraded R-1340 cylinders and piston made from another application, but not sure if those are available elsewhere now that Aero has closed.

http://www.younkinaviation.com/index.cf ... /cat13.htm
Last edited by bdk on Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

new engine parts

Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:13 am

Looking at a Colt, it has a 235 C1 in it, the Colt TCDS lists the C1B but not C1 version of the O235 engine, is this legal or going to cause problems?
Post a reply