Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 221  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:49 pm 

OK, the link that Gary posted will now give you an option of Windows Video or Flash Video to view his slideshow. Hopefully that will handle most folks on Macs or *nix OS. I did this kind of quickly, so if you have problems viewing either, let me know here and I'll try and sort things out as time allows.

Randy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I really enjoyed the slideshow. Its very interesting to see how the plane looked before the CAF obtained it. Where did the current nose piece come from to replace the one that didnt have any glass panels in it?

Post subject: Flag
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:25 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks for the info Gary and good luck.
P.S. You Gota put that big ass flag on the side,even though I think the stars should always be in the upper left.

Post subject: Re: Flag
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:26 am 

phil65 wrote:
P.S. You Gota put that big ass flag on the side,even though I think the stars should always be in the upper left.

Incorrect, the flag is always painted as though the plane is moving forward and the flag is trailing in the wind.

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/faqs/q30.htm

Post subject: B-24A
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:56 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

I know you guys love O.D. but I've always hoped that the CAF would take here back to her roots. Many of the early Libs were build under British contract and the modified for use has anti-sub aircraft for the Coastal Command and the top sub killing aircraft ever was Liberator I (LB-30B/B-24A) AM929 built in May 1941 after modified for anti-sub duties. It served in 120 Squadron has HO*H and was flown by Sdq/Ldr Terrance Bulloch DSO-DFC. She sank U-597, U-661, U-132, U-194 and U-540 while damaging 6 more. She also drove off a FW Condor attacking a convoy. There's your history lesson for the day. Keep up the good work your doing Gary!!!
What did US B-24As do combat wise in WWII? Zip, but the those used by the Brits kicked *ss and saved a lot of convoys!!

Post subject: Re: B-24A
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:11 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

Jack Cook wrote:
I know you guys love O.D. but I've always hoped that the CAF would take here back to her roots. Many of the early Libs were build under British contract and the modified for use has anti-sub aircraft for the Coastal Command and the top sub killing aircraft ever was Liberator I (LB-30B/B-24A) AM929 built in May 1941 after modified for anti-sub duties. It served in 120 Squadron has HO*H and was flown by Sdq/Ldr Terrance Bulloch DSO-DFC. She sank U-597, U-661, U-132, U-194 and U-540 while damaging 6 more. She also drove off a FW Condor attacking a convoy. There's your history lesson for the day. Keep up the good work your doing Gary!!!
What did US B-24As do combat wise in WWII? Zip, but the those used by the Brits kicked *ss and saved a lot of convoys!!

You, of course, are absolutely correct with the history of AM927's sister ships Jack. She, indeed, would have been one of those sub killers...but wasn't. You actually hit the nail on the head on what some of the difficulties have been regarding a decision on what to do with this airplane. It never really had a real personality. It was going to do this, or it was going to do that, going to be based at this location, going to haul parts to that location. We just had so many options to choose from. That is essentially why we just went with what it was originally going to be (on paper, anyway). Trust me, this was no easy decision. But I think in the long run, it'll be a decision that everyone who truly loves this airplane will be able to live with. It is true that the B-24A's didn't have any combat history. We'll just have to show and tell people the truth about this particular aircraft and it's personal history as the years went by. No more made up stuff.

Thanks for the comments and the kind words Jack. By the way, what's the earliest picture of AM927 (or any other B-24A's) that you have anyway?

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:29 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Will this kill the name LIL?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:25 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

krlang wrote:
Will this kill the name LIL?

Another highly discussed and debated topic. All I can say is that it's waaaaaay too soon for me to start worrying about that. Stay tuned though.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:32 am 

I like you guys ideas, maybe some weekend if I can find a hotel I can come volunteer some time. Go with the metallic scheme, we dont need two olive drab green B-24s on the circuit!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:43 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Gary

Talk about a breath of fresh air. I look forward to see the Liberator when she rolls out for her new debut.

Shay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:04 pm 

The one thing I like about Lil is to able to walk up to the nose from the back. The "large" people have a time going thru the bomb bay with the racks there.

Post subject: Re: Flag
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:06 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

HotRodJosh wrote:
phil65 wrote:

Incorrect, the flag is always painted as though the plane is moving forward and the flag is trailing in the wind.

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/faqs/q30.htm

I know its the correct way but I think it looks stupid like the way the soldiers were them today. Why not just put the flag on the left shoulder then everyone would be happy :wink: and don't even get me going about those silly little berets they got them dressed up in :roll: Why do these little things make me so angry? :Hangman:

Last edited by phil65 on Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:14 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

Well, after thirteen hours of more drilling today (UGH!), here's a couple more progress pictures. I reckon it's time to start fabricating tail gunner compartment structure. I think I'll go home and take a nap first though.

Gary

Post subject: Diamond Lil
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:52 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Quote:
What did US B-24As do combat wise in WWII? Zip,

Several B-24As saw service in the SWPA early in the war (see the Baugher site), and 40-2371 was supposedly the first U.S. plane destroyed at Pearl Harbor - have you considered one of these examples for markings?

P.S. How much you want for that tail cone? :D

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:06 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

C'mon Gary go Sub-Hunter on the scheme. :wink:

It may be too early to think about schemes, but atleast I can plant the seed.

She could wear the British Liberator Mk. I paint scheme, that she more than likely would of worn had she made it to the UK. Not to mention then you guys could install the air-to-surface radar and of course the four 20MM Hispano Cannon Belly Package :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Like this, except i think she would of had a black underside :

Shay

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 221  Next