Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218 ... 221  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:08 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Zane, that is awesome news! At that price I think it is a real steal. I just hope Ol' 927 can make her way back to the North East... Sure would be nice to see her at Reading WWII Weekend!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:17 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Anybody in the San Antonio area come out to Hondo Oct. 26,27 and get one of those bargain rides.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:31 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Please, please don't throw any stones my way, but I wanted to ask... a couple of the CAF guys around town here are claiming that they have talked with the B-24/B-29 squadron guys, and that Ol 927 is going to undergo a nose art repaint. They are claiming that one side is going to have the US Flag (as per the neutrality scheme) and that the other side is going to have some modified version of the old Diamond Lil noseart. Is there any truth to this rumor? I was just shocked when they started making the claim, but thought I'd come get the straight skinny from those in the know. So... truth or fiction? Thanks for your help.

kevin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:45 pm 

I've gathered that the name "Ol' 927" never has fully caught on.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:02 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

tulsaboy wrote:
Please, please don't throw any stones my way, but I wanted to ask... a couple of the CAF guys around town here are claiming that they have talked with the B-24/B-29 squadron guys, and that Ol 927 is going to undergo a nose art repaint. They are claiming that one side is going to have the US Flag (as per the neutrality scheme) and that the other side is going to have some modified version of the old Diamond Lil noseart. Is there any truth to this rumor? I was just shocked when they started making the claim, but thought I'd come get the straight skinny from those in the know. So... truth or fiction? Thanks for your help.

kevin

Please be true.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:02 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

To be honest, Gary didn't want "Ol'927". It was a compromise (which he ended up liking in the end thanks to the excellent painting of Django and his team, but he always wanted Ol'927 to be painted historically correct, with the Neutrality flag on her nose and black up to the bottom of the wings. While I'd hate to see Django's work be removed, I have to say if they're going to remove it to put a neutrality flag on it, I'm for it. I can see why they'd want to put "Diamond 'Lil" on the other side since she spent so many years in that guise, but I'd rather have it be the style of "Diamond 'Lil" and the name be "Ol'927" since that was her original nickname.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:09 pm 

tulsaboy wrote:

kevin

Kevin
For the past year or so there has been alot of discussion about the name of Ol' 927. There is a feeling that for whatever reason the name Ol' 927 just never caught on, and people still ask where Diamond Lil is. She has been known as Diamond Lil for a long time.

At this point I do not believe that there has been a final decision made upon any possible name change. However if there is I believe that the basic paint scheme will remain and Diamond Lil will return.

I want to make very clear that in no way is the discussion of the possible name change meant as a slight to Gary or Django. Unfortunately as a squadron we have a very large debt that we must clear, and if changing the name is the best way to improve our revenue, that is what we will do.

I can assure you that if a name change is decided upon I will let you guys know, and post pictures. In the meantime please continue to support the CAF and our squadron.

Chris

CAF
B-29/B-24 Squadron
Public Information Officer
http://www.cafb29b24.org

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:26 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I've never been a fan of the name, "Ol' 927", though I do use it when I reference the airplane in conversation. Django's artwork is of excellent quality (he's really a talented SOB!), but I think it's kinda silly looking, and it's not representative of the era. I'd love to see the B-24A painted in a totally historically accurate paint scheme with black paint up the sides, huge US neutrality flags, and so forth. On the other hand, I fully understand the need to have a catchy name to grab the public's attention and help to generate revenue (no revenue equals no flying!). If they did go totally authentic with the paint scheme, I will admit that "the bomber with the big American flag on the nose" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. I'm not sure I like the idea of going back to the name, "Diamond Lil", however. Isn't there some significant early-war B-24A name and artwork that could be applied in tribute to a "real McCoy"?

Ah, whaddo I know. I should keep my mouth shut, since I'm not a CAF member anyway. . . :roll:

I shouldn't get into discussions like this after consuming half a bottle of wine. :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:42 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

k5dh wrote:
Django's artwork is of excellent quality (he's really a talented SOB!), but I think it's kinda silly looking, and it's not representative of the era.

Uh... thanks, I think. :roll: I hate to have to defend my artwork 4 years later, however... Check out the book Disney Dons Dogtags which is an almost embarrassingly small sampling of the work that Disney did during the war, which I based the Ol 927 artwork upon, and tell me it's not historically representative of the era. :roll: Or I'll make it easy, and go look here as well... http://www.toonsatwar.blogspot.com/

As for the repaint, I will keep my thoughts to myself for the time being, but Dave Miller knows how I feel about it. Flyingsailor has a pm in his mailbox as well. Whatever name is on the side, that project in 2007 will always be special for the time spent with Gary, my Dad, and two of my best friends doing something I never would have thought possible for me as a designer/artist.

Visit Django Studios online or Facebook!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:01 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

IMHO, O'l 927 fits the time period that the B-24 is painted in. Diamond Lil is more appropriate for a later war version (1942/43). I hope they keep the current O'l 927 art work. Great job Django!

I would like to see the American flag on the right side and O'l 927 on the left.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:20 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

b29flteng wrote:
I hope they keep the current O'l 927 art work. Great job Django!

I would like to see the American flag on the right side and O'l 927 on the left.

DITTO!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:55 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

It's too bad that the B-24 isn't done in such a way that if the squadron does decide to make her "Diamond 'Lil" again that they could take the nose art skins off and preserve the panel(s) as a tribute to both Django and Gary's work on the airplane. It'd also make a neat addition to the CAF's nose art gallery - original WWII art against what they would have looked like when new.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:56 am 

As a fellow artist-type I can say that I admire Django's artwork a great deal, almost with envious jealousy. (and not just what we see on the nose of the B-24)

As a fan of the genre of period artwork shown in the link he provided, I will stand on his side and say that the design he came up with for 'Ol 927' is more than keeping with the spirit of said genre.

As an historian type (which apparently translates to 'paintjob expert' here on WIX) I would welcome the addition of the flag to at least one side of the nose and an extension of the black up the fuselage.

As a sentimentalist, I would love to see the return of 'Lil'. (regardless of the artwork or name carried by this ship, she'll always be 'Diamond 'Lil' to me)

As a vintage military aviation enthusiast, (read: warbird fan) I don't really care what artwork or name she carries... she's here, she's flying, and that's all that matters to me.

Fade to Black...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:23 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

According to Gary Velasco, over on Facebook, he states that he has been commisioned to repaint Diamond Lil on the B-24 currently known as Ol' 927. The neutrality flag will go on the other side. He says he'll be starting the repaint on Dec 8th.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:33 am 

well then let's put the flag on the roof as well to keep it somewhat authentic..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218 ... 221  Next