Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:25 pm 

N3Njeff wrote:
Guess I am a bit confused that from my end, it seems that the CAF wants to forget, guess maybe their membership should go back to Page 1 of this thread.

Why must everything the CAF does or doesnt do be seen as some sort of conspiracy? I'm betting that not one single person that has posted since your message is a member of the CAF unit that owns this plane. Do any of you ever looked anywhere besides wix for news about the B-24? Lots of information about it on various CAF webpages. I'm not a member of the CAF but I at least look into the subject.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:01 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

bombadier29 wrote:
N3Njeff wrote:
Guess I am a bit confused that from my end, it seems that the CAF wants to forget, guess maybe their membership should go back to Page 1 of this thread.

Why must everything the CAF does or doesnt do be seen as some sort of conspiracy? I'm betting that not one single person that has posted since your message is a member of the CAF unit that owns this plane. Do any of you ever looked anywhere besides wix for news about the B-24? Lots of information about it on various CAF webpages. I'm not a member of the CAF but I at least look into the subject.

Before you go preaching to what I do or others do or should do on and off WIX. Be a active member for more than what 4 months.

There are many members on WIX that like to keep updated in the warbird scene because in many ways, its the FASTEST method as MANY are active in keeping these airplanes in the air and dont have time to search the HUNDREDS of groups and individuals doing different things all over the world. So YES I only look at WIX.

For many of us, we are like Gary who this thread owes its many pages to. We work our asses off for little to no recognition to keep people flying safe every day. It has nothing to do with conspiracy..............it ALL has to do with Pride and Passion and credit put to where credit is due. If the CAF has already put his name on the side of "Lil" or ole "927" if you want to call it then I apologise as I did not see the thread where it happened. If it has not happened then its a shame...................................Im done.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:26 am 

bombadier29 wrote:
I'm not a member of the CAF but I at least look into the subject.

Have you worked on Diamond Lil?
Have you had an flight aboard Diamond Lil?
Have you donated to the upkeep of Diamond Lil?
Some of us reading this thread have done 1 or 2 or maybe even all 3 (or perhaps in conjunction with other warbirds).
Perhaps pontificating to others WIXers who do more than merely "look into the subject" was not the best choice.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:57 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Why is the american flag backwards?

________

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:01 am 
Senior Moderator

Easy boys...EASY.

Join us for the Texas Warbird Report on WarbirdRadio.com!
Image http://www.facebook.com/WarbirdRadio
Listen at http://www.warbirdradio.com

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:07 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

peter wrote:

I'm sure someone can correct me if I am wrong... but I *think* it has to do with how the flag is displayed and how it blows in the wind.

The blue field of stars is supposed to be closest to the flag pole, so when the flag blows the stripes are always pointed with the wind. The idea is that if the aircraft is flying, than the flag would be blowing in that direction...

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:13 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

peter wrote:

That's how it is presented on US aircraft. The concept is that the flag is flowing back from an imaginary mast at the front, as if it were an actual flag on a ship or other vehicle, and the union (stars) is always next to the mast. There's a reg on it somewhere, but if you look at how it's displayed on US aircraft, from Air Force One on down, it's always this way. Give or take the occasional screw-up.

It is also accurate, see pic near bottom of this page:
http://flgrube1.tripod.com/id327.html

August

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:49 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Ok now i know :drink3:

________

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:23 am 

If I read the flight tracking profile correctly, "LiL' is currently at Andrews AFB for the joint services open house....... Come out, see her and the crew!
alan

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:54 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

k5083 wrote:
peter wrote:

That's how it is presented on US aircraft. The concept is that the flag is flowing back from an imaginary mast at the front, as if it were an actual flag on a ship or other vehicle, and the union (stars) is always next to the mast. There's a reg on it somewhere, but if you look at how it's displayed on US aircraft, from Air Force One on down, it's always this way. Give or take the occasional screw-up.

It is also accurate, see pic near bottom of this page:
http://flgrube1.tripod.com/id327.html

August

The flags worn on Army uniforms is the same way. I still have a BDU field jacket from yugoslavia like that.

"I knew the jig was up when I saw the P-51D-20-NA Mustang blue-nosed bastards from Bodney, and by the way the blue was more of a royal blue than an indigo and the inner landing gear interiors were NOT green, over Berlin."

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:36 am 

Well done CAF on "Diamond Lil"...

She looks a beauty. How about also putting the flag on the top of the fuselage as seen in so many shots?

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:17 am 

Invader26 wrote:
Well done CAF on "Diamond Lil"...

She looks a beauty. How about also putting the flag on the top of the fuselage as seen in so many shots?

That is in the works, our maintenance crew just ran out of time prior to the East Coast Tour.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:05 pm 

Go for it. My father was a flight mechanic in the RAAF and used to turn-around and service Air Transport Command Libs at RAAF Base Amberley after their Trans=Pacific flight..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:14 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I saw on facebook that Lil' is back in Addison, TX. The temporary repairs look pretty well done, I couldnt spot any damage.

Nice job CAF crew getting her back to TX.

Now... any chance she will get back to the North East this season? :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:16 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Sorry if I'm REAL late asking this: Back in '06 when we had a fund-raiser on WIX to buy the replica .50s for Lil, I made a contribution and asked that my uncle, B-24/F-7B gunner Bernard "Bud" Seglin, be mentioned on the donor's plaque on the gun. They put my name instead; I mentioned it to Gary at the time but I didn't really want to complain because it would just seem rude... Later on, however, I heard here that some a-hole had stolen the plaque :evil: . Was it ever replaced, and if so was the name changed? Again, no ax to grind, just curious.

BTW, the pilot of Bud's plane (Hi-Priority Stuff - see avatar), Howard Levinson, is 87 now and according to my dad is still flying.

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221  Next