Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185 ... 221  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:22 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Quote:
The Diamond Lil->Ol' 927 thread has been archived. I edited it some but all the pertinent posts are there. I will continue to update it as posts are made here. This format should allow you to follow the work more easily as well as check out posts on a given aspect of the project. Thanks to Gary and all the volunteers who made this amazing thread possible.

Excellent archive. That looks like it took some time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:11 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

rwdfresno wrote:
Quote:
The Diamond Lil->Ol' 927 thread has been archived. I edited it some but all the pertinent posts are there. I will continue to update it as posts are made here. This format should allow you to follow the work more easily as well as check out posts on a given aspect of the project. Thanks to Gary and all the volunteers who made this amazing thread possible.

Excellent archive. That looks like it took some time.

About 60-70 hours or so :)

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

Post subject: Re: tunnel gun
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:46 am 

chooch982 wrote:
Found this picture of the tunnel gun on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawk914/11 ... ool-usaaf/

Greg

Haha... that's from my photostream on flickr. If anyone is interested in downloading the original TIFF file, which is suitable for printing after a bit of cropping, take a looksee HERE...

The file size is about 18MB, but it can be converted to a smaller JPEG and will still print beautifully. If you haven't the means to convert from TIFF to JPEG just shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send a JPEG to you.

Now, this ain't much... but I know some folks here have been lookin' for photos of that B-24 that was in Hawaii at the time of the attack on December 7th. I came across a photo on another forum that shows 11th BG personnel at Hickam in November of '41, and lookee-lookee what's in the background...

Like I said, it's not much. But it's something...

Like everyone else, I continue to enjoy this thread... so thanks a bunch for keeping it alive... and nice job on the archive Scott.

Fade to Black...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:43 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

Very cool find there! Thanks for posting.

Gary

Post subject: 40-2371 at Hickam
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:32 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Peter-Four-Oh,
That is a great find! I found the entire photo on the net and studied it as well, a fine looking photo set-up with some VERY interesting background.

I have moved this photo that Gary posted on another thread over here for discussion.
This, of course, is B-24A 40-2371 that was destroyed during the Pearl Harbor attack. A question as to whether the Neutrality Markings were still applied on 7 December has bounced around for years, and so far no pictures have surfaced that confirm how she looked that fateful day. I was digging around the other night when I couldn't sleep (sound familiar? :? ) and found a webpage with the following information, taken from THE ARMY AIR FORCES IN WORLD WAR II, Volume I, pages 189-190:

"The B-24A that arrived at Hickam Field on 5 December was part of the 44th Bombardment Group (Heavy) based at MacDill Field, Tampa, Florida. The aircraft was assigned to the 1st Photographic Group based at Bolling Field, Washington D.C., and was attached to the Air Corps Ferrying Command. It had flown to Hawaii from the Soviet Union through the Middle East, Singapore, Australia, New Guinea, and Wake Island. Problems were encountered in installing the machine guns and the aircraft was still there on the morning of 7 December."

This paragraph SEEMS to indicate that the Neutrality and Ferrying Command markings may have been applied, especially since the airplane had been flying around a good portion of the eastern world during the past week. Maybe the markings were left on for the secret mission that never happened? Until we see a photo we won't know, and no one knows the exact serial of the other B-24 that had not made it to Hickam before the attack. Sorry if this bores everyone, but 2371 has held a special interest for me and I would love to know how she looked on 7 December.

Thanks for tolerating my curiosity,
Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:47 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

I was watching the History Channel the other night while one of their "Modern Marvels" programs was about engines. At some point during the middle of the show, they got to talking about W.W.II and the engines produced during that time. So, obviously, I was looking at everything closely to see if I could find something I've not seen before. Well, low and behold, they showed a video clip of a B-24A taxiing up to a stop somethere! :shock: I couldn't believe it! It's hard enough finding still pictures of a B-24A (as y'all have read here on this thread), much less finding video of one.

Would any of you out there have any suggestions of how a person such as myself could find a copy of that video clip? It was only about one or two seconds long, but surely there's more of it somewhere. It was crystal clear quality and really has my curiousity peaked. Did anyone else see what I am talking about?

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:57 am 

Might have to do the 'Whole Monty" and request a copy of the episode from the History Channel", and/or see if they have a source for that segment. Probably from the USAF archives, tho. Just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:58 pm 

In any case, here's the link for this segment. You can order the DVD here Gary:

http://store.aetv.com/html/product/index.jhtml?id=71224

I also went to their Q&A Dept and here's what I found there:

QUESTION:
How do I acquire more information on a particular program?

ANSWER:
We attempt to provide viewers with repeat dates and times of a specific show as well as consumer availability. We cannot provide more information on the subject than is included in the program's content, nor can we provide contact information for interviewees, hosts, or producers of our documentaries.

Not very helpful, is it...

The national Aviation Museum of Canada also have a photo library and do have of B-24s. You can have a look here and see if they have anything that might be of interest to you:

http://www.aviation.technomuses.ca/collections/image_bank/dig_img.cfm?CurrentPage=1&action=&records_to_display=9&Model=Consolidated%20B-24%20Liberator&Designer=&service_name=&period=&registration=&NegNumber=&criteria=&submit=Search

Good luck at finding more info on these shots Gary!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:51 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

Thanks y'all. I'll look into it some more.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:01 pm 

The building I now work in has many old bomber photos on the walls, one is just labled B-24, but from photos it has the round nacelles and looks like no paint on the main body, just the red striped rudders. No tail numbers or other markers. I will try to get a snap shot to post, looks like a A model to me. This building was used to build and maintain the Libs in the war. They have photos of the assembly line down stairs. Lots of good old war photos posted around.

Kurt

Post subject: Re: tunnel gun
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:01 pm 

Quote:
Now, this ain't much... but I know some folks here have been lookin' for photos of that B-24 that was in Hawaii at the time of the attack on December 7th. I came across a photo on another forum that shows 11th BG personnel at Hickam in November of '41, and lookee-lookee what's in the background...

Like I said, it's not much. But it's something...

Scott.

Fade to Black...

Where may I view the entire photo?
TIA,
David Aiken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:38 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

David,

I didn't write down the actual web address of the full Hickam photo, but here it is:
Thank goodness I saved the photo, I never seem to find stuff back the second time around! :roll:

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:15 am 

Second Air Force wrote:
David,

I didn't write down the actual web address of the full Hickam photo, but here it is:
Thank goodness I saved the photo, I never seem to find stuff back the second time around! :roll:

Scott

Aloha Scott,
Thanks greatly for the scan...I am very interested in the photo...How did the owner KNOW the photo was taken in November 1941, rather than a year later...or two months later? Is there someone KIA on 7 Dec who is in the photo? or what?
Thanks again for your scan...and for your patience with my concern over the date.
Cheers,
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:44 am 

Here's the tag from the bottom of the photo... it's not legible in the small image posted by Scott...

The November time-frame, if indeed correct, is rather interesting to say the least. I'll try and get a high-res image of the full photo and post it here.

Fade to Black...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:50 am 

Peter-Four-Oh wrote:
Here's the tag from the bottom of the photo... it's not legible in the small image posted by Scott...

Ahhh...the men circled died of wounds...on 7 Dec? IF SO then THAT reveals that the photo was made prior to 7 Dec!
NICE detail...Thanks "P-40"!
Cheers,
David

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185 ... 221  Next