Switch to full style
A place where restoration project-type threads can go to avoid falling off the main page in the WIX hangar. Feel free to start threads on Restoration projects and/or warbird maintenance here. Named in memoriam for Gary Austin, a good friend of the site and known as RetroAviation here. He will be sorely missed.
Post a reply

Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:56 pm

nice work... i think you wont get any coal since you did this kinda of work.

Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:06 am

JB,

It's not so much the QUALITY of work that'll earn me that coal (and the jury's still out on that), but the tiny QUANTITY I managed to accomplish! Some days you just can't concentrate on the work in front of you, and that's where I've been for this trip. :?

Scott

Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:44 am

Nice work Scott :) I hope Santa brought you something nice for your efforts. :wink:

Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:29 pm

Great to see this thread is still going strong.

Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:10 am

Mustangdriver, we're still going to post updates whenever we can get down to help on the old girl(s), and hopefully the new crew chief will do so also. Thanks for the ongoing interest!

JBrawner and TAdan, I appreciate your compliments on what I tried to accomplish last week, but in all honesty it was a pretty feeble attempt. One of the main reasons I became a volunteer on this project was Gary's honesty when things don't go as planned or turn out as they should. Many would simply ignore screw-ups or mistakes and only show the good parts of a given article, but he has used backward steps as a teaching aid. In that vein, here is what happened last weekend:

I snapped a photo of the new skins all clecoed up to the airplane the other day, but when I removed them after the trial fitting I realized that I had not allowed enough material on the smaller skin to maintain a proper "edge distance" between the rivet holes and the edge of the skin. In order to maintain the proper strength of a riveted seam there is a standard dimension of material that is left between the hole and the edge of the skin, and I simply didn't allow for it:

Soo.... after squelching a desire for some "verbal condemnation" (it was Christmas Day, after all!) I placed the material into the round file and made a new one:

After installing the new sheet and drilling it properly this time, I enlisted Ellen to deburr the metal while I prepared the airplane structure with some fresh primer:

Oh, by the way, Santa gave us a forty-knot tailwind all the way home on Christmas evening, and here is what I found under the tree when we got in the house:

WOO-HOO!
Scott

Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:16 am

So would you guys take walk in help. I am not an A&P, but would love to comedown to help out.

Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:27 am

mustangdriver wrote:So would you guys take walk in help. I am not an A&P, but would love to comedown to help out.

You bet we would!!! Come on down and we'll put you to work.

Gary

Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:40 am

Awsome, I am looking at coming down for like 5 days after the New year.

Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:38 pm

Careful, mustangdriver!

I started volunteering on 927 in just about the same way, and look what it got me! :rolleyes: :shock: :?: :toimonster:

Seriously, it'll be great to have your help, and Ellen just told me that you could go ahead and rivet that little skin job on while you're there.(She hasn't really warmed up to the riveting thing just yet!)

Happy New Year all!
Scott

Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:32 pm

While the first operational year of “Ol 927” will come to an end, I think it is time to show a small video.

Please have a look here:
http://www.pozefilm.de/video/b-24a.wmv

Happy new year all,
Manfred

Close formation with camera ship Douglas C-53

Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:09 am

Great video. Real nice air to air stuff in it...

Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:30 am

Great video and pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Gary

Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:25 pm

Great work Manfred! Loved the video!

:wink:

Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:11 pm

Alright, it took quite awhile to do and I had some hurdles to overcome but its finally ready....

The Diamond Lil->Ol' 927 thread has been archived. I edited it some but all the pertinent posts are there. I will continue to update it as posts are made here. This format should allow you to follow the work more easily as well as check out posts on a given aspect of the project. Thanks to Gary and all the volunteers who made this amazing thread possible.

http://old927.warbirds-online.org/

Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:47 pm

Ditto on the video, Manfred. Masterfully done! :wink:
Post a reply