Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:06 am 

Just found this post and thought I would add my 2 cents.

Name is Jerry, recently turned 75. Last fall moved from NJ to OH and enjoying the midwest. Spent 25 years working in NY City and watched the building of the WTC from my window, from 1st shovel to completion.

Have flown in C-46, C-47, C-119, C-124 while serving in Japan & Korea over 50 years ago. Some hours as a radio operatort (119 & 124) Also spent time at a bomb & gunnery range for F-86's on the banks of the Yellow Sea.

Spending retirment time as a volunteer at the Air Force Museum (NMUSAF) and not only enjoy it but consider it an honor and a privilege.

In addition, I and my wife embroider many of the warbird many of you write about on both hats and shirts. Have too many birds to list here. Recently did some hats of a B-17 an 15th AF for a reunion.

This forum is one of the greatest ... The knowledge is ubelievable and I manage to read many of the posts daily.

Keep up the good work ....

Volunteer: National Museum of the US Air Force (2007-2016)
LTM 381st Bomb Group Memorial Association

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:16 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Welcome aboard Jerry,
Tell us some more about the warbird embroidery. Business or hobby? I'm a museum volunteer myself.

Doug Ratchford "Canso42"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:52 am 

The embroidery is both a home based business and somewhat of a hobby in that we try to keep memories alive for vets and their families. Most of what we do is personalized for specific requests although we also have done items for clubs, etc.

In addition to embroidery, we do the new dye sublimation on numerous items as mouse pads, ceramic and stainless mugs, hitch covers, name tags, and many other items.

We did 15 ceramic mugs for a gentleman's tribute to his Dad who flew a B-17 with the 8th AF ...

Volunteer: National Museum of the US Air Force (2007-2016)
LTM 381st Bomb Group Memorial Association

Post subject: Another Newbie
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:57 pm 

Hope I got this in the right place...
Hi everyone. I'm new to this site and saw the intro thread so felt my two bits should be added. I just joined this weekend and am impressed with what I've seen so far.
I was in the Air Force for 9 years (F-105 and F-5 radar, other stuff). Went into the semiconductor industry. Started my own business in 86 doing custom aircraft wiring part time. Took the business full time in 96, expanding into industrial automation.
I've been asked to wire some very special aircraft over the years, such as Sentimental Journey (B-17), Miss Angela (B-17), Fw 190 D-13 Yellow 10, and others. I'm wiring Jimmy Leewards P-51 right now and will start two Waco's shortly.
My site is customconnectionsaz.com if anyone is interested in old airplanes... :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:39 pm 
Aerial Pirate

Welcome to the site Jeff,

checked your site out, looks like you've had some fun projects, and able to make a living too.........

We must limit politicians to two terms:
one in office and one in jail.

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:55 am 

Newly registered but I have been lurking for a while. 49 year old gearhead, I've always been interested in warbirds, my parents have pictures of me 9 or 10 years old standing on the ramp next to a P-51 at the old hometown airport.
I spent 4 years in the Gator Navy and then knocked around in construction for a couple of years before getting into the refining business. I have pretty much been an onlooker and not been directly involved in aviation, unless you count making jet fuel.
For the last 4 years I have attended the reno air races and it's beeen close to heaven on earth. I can't believe I waited so long before finally getting there. I'll be heading up again, tomorrow.
Seeing the level of information exchanged here I have also come to the conclusion that I don't know nearly as much as I thought I did about planes or warbirds in particular. I am here to observe and learn, and will try to keep ignorant questions to a minimum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:49 am 

Welcome aboard Kevin! :drink3:

Post subject: introduction
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:13 am 

I'm the FNG, been reading this sight for 2 years, saw an item that sabredriver logged about That Amazing Aussie FAC pilot, Flt Officer Gary Cooper. Since I personaly witnessed some of Mr Cooper's exploits from 1968, I thought I would add my 2 cents. As a 20 year old sgt with the command group, 5th battalion 60th Inf, 9th division RVN in 68, I can tell you, that they are all true! I watched him side slip that cessna o-1 bird dog and land on the road outside of our battalion base camp at Bien Phouc and not use over 200' of it. Damnd fine piece of work that was. He would stop and spend the night with us. He is a member of our battalion association, www.5thbattalion.org . There are a great many of us middle aged guys that are still sucking air today because of him. He is a National Treasure for Australia, a Gentleman, and a wonderful man, We of the 5/60th love him yet.

Post subject: Another FNG
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:23 pm 

Hello,

Been lurking for a couple days, reading anonymously for a couple weeks before that.

My name is Ernie & I'm currently employed by my Uncle Sam and have the privilege to fly the MC-130H Combat Talon II. Currently stationed at Kirtland AFB teaching young Jedis the intricacies of Terrain Following Radar and throwing a big ugly plane around at very low altitudes.

I've been flying Herks since flight school, did slicks for about three years and special ops since - including a tour with the RAF's 47 SQN (SF) (that was a hoot!).

Trying to ponder my future as I've only got about 4 yrs left in this gig & the airlines really hold little appeal for me (they make you fly way up high, don't seem to like NVG landings to blacked out assault zones, & frown upon maneuvers that might spill passengers' drinks! :wink: ). So I'm searching for alternate means to fulfill my flying habits & keep my wife in the manner to which she has become accustomed! :lol:

Seriously considering a Part 135 operation running C-47/DC-3 out west here. Been researching it quite a bit, but still unsure I can make a go of it. But if yer gonna go broke, might as well enjoy it, right?! :D

Anyway, I don't know very much about classic warbirds specifically (can probably answer most C-130 questions!), but I do love them. I was fortunate to be able to go to Duxford for the 60th anniversary of the BoB - what a sight! While stationed in the UK, I think I did Duxford at least 7 times - still not enough!

Hope to learn a lot here, so please be patient with my silly questions & hopefully someone will ask a Herk question from time to time to help my self esteem! :wink:

Post subject: Finally joined.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:09 am 

After months os drooling over this site, I finally took the plunge and joined.
While I'm not a pilot or Warbird restorer, I've been an aviation nut forever. I have a book and magazine collection dating back to 1943 when I liberated a few mags during a grade school paper drive during WWII at the tender age of 6 . I think the statue of limitations has run out on that crime.
I've seen a lot of unanswered questions on here pertaining to engines and other technical details of which I believe I can be of some help in sorting out. It's the least I can do in return for the excellent photos I have seen on here. Also have a lot of photos I have taken and also bought back when several services sold them for a dime. (or less in quantity)
Of course e- bay wasn't around then.
I am retired but try to make it to what few air show are in the area. Used to be a lot but most have been cancelled lately except for the ones beyond my range. At least this site keeps me current.
mike13

Post subject: Re: Another FNG
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:43 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

T2 Ernie wrote:
Hello,

Been lurking for a couple days, reading anonymously for a couple weeks before that.

My name is Ernie & I'm currently employed by my Uncle Sam and have the privilege to fly the MC-130H Combat Talon II. Currently stationed at Kirtland AFB teaching young Jedis the intricacies of Terrain Following Radar and throwing a big ugly plane around at very low altitudes.

I've been flying Herks since flight school, did slicks for about three years and special ops since - including a tour with the RAF's 47 SQN (SF) (that was a hoot!).

Trying to ponder my future as I've only got about 4 yrs left in this gig & the airlines really hold little appeal for me (they make you fly way up high, don't seem to like NVG landings to blacked out assault zones, & frown upon maneuvers that might spill passengers' drinks! :wink: ). So I'm searching for alternate means to fulfill my flying habits & keep my wife in the manner to which she has become accustomed! :lol:

Seriously considering a Part 135 operation running C-47/DC-3 out west here. Been researching it quite a bit, but still unsure I can make a go of it. But if yer gonna go broke, might as well enjoy it, right?! :D

Anyway, I don't know very much about classic warbirds specifically (can probably answer most C-130 questions!), but I do love them. I was fortunate to be able to go to Duxford for the 60th anniversary of the BoB - what a sight! While stationed in the UK, I think I did Duxford at least 7 times - still not enough!

Hope to learn a lot here, so please be patient with my silly questions & hopefully someone will ask a Herk question from time to time to help my self esteem! :wink:

Welcome aboard Ernie from an ex-Herc driver (12 years AFRES/AFRC slicks). There are indeed some civvy Herc flying opportunities out there (besides the white L382/100s). Airline flying isn't very exciting but laying over in Rome, Paris, Buenos Aires still beats a cubicle any day. Fly safe out there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:51 pm 

Hello All,
My name is Marc Gellart, I live here in the midwest in Allen County, Ohio. I have heard of the WIX site for a longtme from my good friend Mark Nankivil in STL.

I have been a aviaiton brat since birth, as the handle says, my Father, Martin Gellart, was a Naval Aviator who recieved his Wings of Gold in the spring of '45. The sad part, after finishing Fighter Advanced and preparing for the Pacific, the war was over and he was out by October of '45 (Thank you Harry Truman, you saved my Dad from harms way). He was lucky enough to get to join the F8F Bearcat squadron at Olathe KS after being home for a bit. He was urged, by my Uncle Bryce McCormick, to apply for a job at American Airlines where he was hired by C. R. Smith in 1950 (Dad was one of the first single engine only rated pilots hired by AA from what I know after WWII). My Uncle had flown for Mr. Smith in the CTA and had been with AA since 1943 and later became quite famous getting a DC-10 on the ground in one piece in Detroit in 1973. The last flying that Dad did for the Navy was as a Flight Instructor at Whiting Field during Korea in SNJ's, he was finally completely released from the Navy in the mid-60's. I also had two Uncles that flew in bombers in Europe as gunners, one in B-17 "Five Grand" and others, and the other who was killed at Polesti in a B-24. Many family friends also flew in the war, one in particular has been on the History Channel a couple of times, is the late Robert Irian, who shot down a ME-262.

Dad's career at AA was great, he flew Convair 220, DC-6 and 7, Electra, 707, 727, DC-10, and 747. His flew from every spot AA flew from in the DFW area, but started out in NYC and flew for a bit in LAX in the '60's and again at the end of his career to get on the large equipment. As he said, he had a very boring career and probably the worst incidence he ever had was kicking Otto Premminger off a flight for being drunk. He just laughed when he talked about the fact that someone would actually pay him to fly airplanes for a living. He died a happy man having spent nearly his entire life doing exactly what he wanted to.

I fly RC a lot, specifically sailplanes, competing and part of the group that manages the AMA National Soaring Championships in Muncie, IN. Mark Nankivil got the bug going in me to take pictures. Did not have a camera or anything, but Mark moved up in class so I bought his Canon Digital Rebel and a 70-300 lens to go with the base lens. I have started to carry it full time as I get around Ohio and Indiana a bit and have the oportunities to get lots of pics. This past weekend I was at GM&L and got to do some shooting on Wednesday evening on the east end of Rickenbacher where I met WIX members David Tanner and Mike Henniger on Sunday on the fence.

I have gotten to fly in some neat stuff, an Extra 300, SNJ, T-34, but nothing that is really that unique. I am looking forward to being here at WIX and look forward to meeting you all on the fence.

Have a good evening, I have about 800+ pics* to go through from GM&L tonight.
Marc

*You take way more pictures with a digital than the old days with film, this was my first full blown airshow with the Rebel and I could not imagine I had taken that many pics.

Last edited by FatherFlewCats on Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:13 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Hi Marc, welcome to WIX.

Sounds like you'll be a wealth of knowledge to the rest of us here.

Cheers,

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:40 pm 

Welcome aboard Marc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:39 am 
Hi All

Long time lurker, first started coming by with Gary's update on Diamond Lil. I was keen to sign up and make a positive contribution to the site as its an excellent resource.

I've always had a long interest in WW2 German and US Aviation. I've been fortunate to travel to the UK in the 1990's to various airshows and museums, and makes some long lasting friendships with great people from Sally B and the Black Six restoration team to name two.

I'm also a keen WW2 livising historian and re-enactor, principly USMC, but also restoring and collecting US and Commonwealth military vehicles, uniforms, equipment, weapons from the period.

I have a personal website at www.west-front.com.au so please drop by and have a look.

Cheers

Cam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next