Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:40 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

The wide variety of experiences the folks signing up on the WIX have has always amazed me. Welcome all!!!! It really makes the forums interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:09 am 

Where to start.....

I'm 65 years old, born and raised in Bucks County, Penna, USA. Family legend has my first flight in a J-3 on floats at the age of 2. Grew up watching Corsairs fly out of Johnsville Naval Air Development Center - rumor was that the red ones were radio-controlled. Typical interest in anything that flies - warbirds are just so impressive you can't miss them,

Started flying in 1965 I after I got off National Guard active duty (PA Army National Guard, Jan 1964 - May 1971, Inf, 0-2). Private Pilot's certificate (SEL) in 1966, never got any advanced ratings; didn't want to fly in clouds because I like to look at the scenery, couldn't afford 2 engines...

Bought a 150 hp Citabria in '76, flew it for 14 years, mostly out of Van Sant airport (grass strip on top of a hill; sailplanes, antiques and homebuilts).

Had a mid-life crises in the 1980's - joined the PA Air Guard as a Radio Operator Maintainence and Driver (ROMAD) with the 103 TASS out of Willow Grove NAS, they were flying OA-37B's at the time, now the OA-10A,
A ROMAD was part of the Tactical Air Control Party, an enlisted type that takes care of the pilot on the ground. We also trained as E-FACs (enlisted ground foward air controllers). Since we worked directly with the pilots, seat time in the OA-37B was authorized, which allows me to claim 20 minutes of stick time in said airplane. Went on some great deployments in support of active and reserve Army units.

I also had 3 flights with the 'Sky Warriors' simulated air combat organization before their tragic loss of a T-34 due to structural failure resulting in 2 fatalities. Interesting note on that subject - after my first flight an old time WWII P-51 pilot expressed concerns to me that the constant stresses of air combat manuvering wasn't a good thing in those old airplanes.

Been attending airshows since the late '70s - Harlingen in '83 (oops - was 1980!), Titusville in '84, have tons of pictures, most just average in qualtiy but I hope to post the better and/or more interesting as I have time.

Got bitten by the cancer bug in 2005 (Rectal - I advise everyone to get a colonoscopy when your Dr. recommends it!!!!) but I'm darn near back to normal now. I don't have a current medical, but since I've never been turned down I'm still OK for Light Sport Aircraft. Looking for a Cub or a Champ for rent so I can get back in the air this summer.

Last edited by Dave Downs on Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:09 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Welcome aboard Dave. I would be interested in seeing your 83 Harligen pictures, as I was there. :D
Robbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:28 pm 

This is my first picture attempt, and this one is 40 years old today!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:16 pm 

Hi All...........
My name is Rob. I am a senior at the University of Central Florida in Orlando. I grew up in Central Florida and have been going to air shows and Museums with my father and Grandfather for as long as I can remember. I have always had an interests in aircraft and specifically in warbirds. I also consider myself a pretty good photographer and try to bring together my interests in warbirds and photography when ever I get the chance.

I look forward to speaking with all of you on the forum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:40 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Hey Rob,

welcome aboard. I look forward to seeing some of your photos posted on here.

Cheers,

David

Post subject: New member...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:23 am 

Hi All,

New member here. This is a really good website, with many very talented guys (and gal's!). I am a senior Airworthiness Engineer by profession, and, until recently a RAFVR(T) Flying officer with the Air Cadets. I had previously served over 12 years in the Royal Air Force as a survival equipment fitter (mostly fast jets - EE Lightnings, Red Arrows Hawk aircraft, etc). I currently work for BAE SYSTEMS at Brough in the UK (home of the Hawk). On joining Bae back in 1988, I was an aircraft inspector on Phantoms, Buccaneer, Hawk and PC-9 aircraft. I once spent two and a half years as a professional model maker for the RAF.

My interests are aircraft and aircraft modelling - I spend all my spare time making model aircraft master patterns. I am married (to Sandra), and we have two children (Jennifer, 21, and Christopher, 19).

Derek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:25 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Welcome to the madhouse, Derek.

Judging from the models and books behind you in the first photo, you are a more organized modeler than I am. I can't get the piles to stay in orderly stacks anymore! :D

Scott

Post subject: Anthony J. Mireles
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:51 pm 

My name is Anthony J. Mireles

I am interested in WWII Aviation; WWII history; Aviation History; GA Flying; Warbirds; Finding WWII airplane wrecks in the deserts and mountains of the Southwestern United States; I love flying the Cessna 152.

I have a BA in History and I am the author of:

FATAL ARMY AIR FORCES AVIATION ACCIDENTS
IN THE UNITED STATES, 1941-1945

I am a member of the Great Lakes Wing of the Commemorative Air Force.
Flight crew member on the Douglas C-47B and Junkers JU-52.

I am currently working on two more WWII aviation history titles for future publication.

Tony Mireles

"Welcome back Mr. Lasky."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:40 pm 

Hello All,

Brand new here. My name is Andrew Pomeroy, I work in the field of Airport Management and my passion has always been Warbirds. I've been flying for almost 20 years and about four years ago bought my first airplane, A 1974 Cessna 150L. It's been a great first airplane, and with the cost of AVGas these days, my planned upgrade to a CJ6 will have to wait a little while.

My goal (Dream?) would be to get hooked up with an Aviation Museum and pilot historic warbirds on tours and at airshows. Ultimately I'd like to get my B-25 type rating to close the loop and fly the same plane that brought my gradfather home safe after so many missions in the South Pacific with the 500th Bomber Squadron in WWII. I'd also love to race at Reno.

To date I've logged time in the following "Warbirds" L-4, Grumman G21A Goose, Yak 52, Nanchang CJ-6, and the crowning jule of my logbook to date - 1 Hr Duel Instruction B-25J from the left Seat :lol:

Me in back seat of CJ6 at a Redstar Pilots Association Formation Clinic:

Me With Goose
[Image

Me Flying B-25J "Tondelayo":

Sounds like I've found the right place for networking Warbirds!

P.S. - I'm hosting this years 500th Bomb Squadron Reunion (The Rough Raiders) here in Maine this September. I'm planning an old USO Style Hangar Dance for the Guys and need Warbirds for static display to give it that WWII Hangar Feel (to go along with the Glen Miller and Tommy Music) These guys flew B-25s so if there is a B-25 in the North East the first week of September I'd love to talk to you!

Last edited by Tactic on Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:55 pm 

Deleted - i figured out the pictures after all.

Post subject: New member
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:04 pm 

Hello all

After lurking for some time I have finally joined. :D
My name is Les and I started flying in 1979. I spent quite a bit of time at Chino from 1994 to 2001 or so. Great times with Mike W, Mac, Frank V, Elmer W, Jimmie, Carter T, Dave H and many other wonderful generous pilots and people.
I have many photos from my times there and will post some as soon as I find them. Moving is such fun! I do have this picture of me enjoying my 40th birthday present from the gang at Chino. What is it about T-6 flights and 40th b-days?
Photo by Mike Walsh

Les

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:52 am 

Thanks Scott - what you see is probably the tidiest bit! (I darn't touch any of the other piles out of shot - especially as I value my life :lol:).

Derek

Second Air Force wrote:
Welcome to the madhouse, Derek.

Judging from the models and books behind you in the first photo, you are a more organized modeler than I am. I can't get the piles to stay in orderly stacks anymore! :D

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:31 am 

Hi all,

im Chris from Switzerland and im 42 years old. I speak french, so sorry for my bad english... :wink:

Im an independant photographer and principally "working" for the website :

www.airpic.net

Im a member of the AMPA (association pour le maintien du patrimoine aéronautique) who flies : T-6G, Morane 317, Morane 406, TBM-3R Avenger, Chipmunk, Bucker Jungmann, Bucker Jungmeister, Cesna 140, Dewoitine D-26.

So i hoppe to help you and i think you can help me sometimes.

Fly safely and thanks to accept me here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:59 am 
Aerial Pirate

Hi Chris,

welcome to the WIX board. Just looked through your collection of air to airs, very nice...

We must limit politicians to two terms:
one in office and one in jail.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next