Switch to full style
If you are new to the forums I would suggest visiting this section first, especially if you would like to join the community
Post a reply

New member interested in B29 V29 42-24688

Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:55 am

Hello,

I am probably a fish out of water here, which is an appropriate thing to say, as my military interests are primarily in World War II naval operations in the Pacific, and specifically in submarine warfare. However, I do have a generalized interest in all things WWII.

About a year before my Dad died two years ago, out of the blue, he gave me some photos he had taken when he was stationed on Saipan in 1944 and 1945. He was a weather observer in the Army Air Corps. He was one of the guys who triangulated storms with other weather observers on other islands so that the B29s could be routed around them to and from Japan. I would be surprised if anybody here is aware of the work these weather observers were doing, but then life is full of surprises, so I wouldn't be surprised if I end up not being surprised about this.

Three of the photos were of a particular B29. I became interested in finding out what the operational history of that plane might have been. The folks at Histomil (in particular, Sniper 1946) were able to find out the serial number of the plane, and my further research led me to this site where a topic was posted on that very plane. I hope to be able to post the photos here, however, my previous attempt to do so was not successful, as was my next attempt to post a newbie post. Hopefully, the third time is the charm. Maybe I have to be active here for a while before I can post photos.
Post a reply