Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:42 am 

This thread just breeds more questions. As you yourself stated, the T-6 community is small. So how did this project just get "sold" by your wife without your knowledge, without marketing, without...all the other things it takes to sell an airplane??? Its not like the project sold on Ebay or Barnstormers....I'm going to go out on a limb and say the individual who now has your plane knows you, knows your wife, knows your project, saw an opportunity, and took advantage of the situation. I'll also assume the purchaser is holding all the proper paperwork that makes the sale a legal sale? Either that your ur wife called the junk scrapper and just had it picked up. Either way it sounds like your project is gone... I agree with the above post. Try not to show how much it bothers you, and keep on keepin on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm no attorney (my parents were married :) ...a joke counselors) but I have to agree with an earlier post, if a couple are divorcing assets are frozen, and can't simply be appropriated/stolen by either party.

Replace T-6 with with the word "house", "art collection", "new Mercedes" or "investments"...and it's less of a laughing matter.
Same deal. Assets are assets. The cops would probably tell you to fight it attorney vs. attorney ...at $200+ an hour.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:37 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I prefer posts about warbirds, not over who gets to keep the china cabinet....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:37 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

sandiego89 wrote:

Yep. What he said.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:37 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

In typical internet forum fashion, there's always somebody who disagrees with a seemingly solid point of view; I'm finding this whole thing fascinating. I have never been married, and this really adds to my general knowledge of how the world works. And gotta admit, a warbird IS at the center of it.

I'm in awe of Forgotten Field's post. I'm really glad to get clued in on some of this.

PIC, Ford 6600 pulling Rhino batwing up and down the runway

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:34 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

This may not be the best place for the subject, but if not a Warbird forum, where would one post a query for your missing T-6? The idea is to get the word out quick that that "new" T-6 'round the corner may deserve a second look. It is a very small world. This has been an interesting thread tho...

As for the folks who don't like the discussion...You know, reading a subject you don't like IS a self-inflicted wound don't you? Move along...move along..nothing to read here... :lol:

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

sandiego89 wrote:

You'd probably feel much different if it were your T-6 project....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:16 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

airnutz wrote:
This may not be the best place for the subject, but if not a Warbird forum, where would one post a query for your missing T-6? The idea is to get the word out quick that that "new" T-6 'round the corner may deserve a second look. It is a very small world. This has been an interesting thread tho...

As for the folks who don't like the discussion...You know, reading a subject you don't like IS a self-inflicted wound don't you? Move along...move along..nothing to read here... :lol:

Geez....I'd think the same way if I was looking for a warbird that grew feet. I would not be surprised if the individual who has possession of it already knows it's being discussed here and is planning the next move....especially if it is reported as stolen to the authorities.

I've been married 30-something years and would not make light of someone else's hard times....however in full disclosure this is a bit interesting. It's a small world and I'm curious where it eventually turns up at. It might even be a teachable moment for others in similar situations.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hopefully her name isn't 'Shir Lee'

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:49 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

airnutz wrote:
reading a subject you don't like IS a self-inflicted wound

:-D

PIC, Ford 6600 pulling Rhino batwing up and down the runway

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:33 am 

Let me begin by saying when I initially posted about my T-6 the situation was fluid, with information on the who and the where, being purposely withheld from me. I reached as far and wide as possible to find my T-6 and to alert an unsuspecting buyer, that is was sold under false pretenses and was never supposed to be sold.

That being said, I need correct a few things here. My T-6 has been located and while I haven't personally spoken to the buyer, through my friends in the T-6 community, I have learned that the opportunity came to him and purchased based on the information he had at the time. In all likelihood, he saved it from being scrapped as my ex and her father had threatened to do.

Simple truth of the matter, my ex-wife to be, did what many spouses have done before her and unfortunately many more will in the future. To make it as personal and painful as possible and find something that I deeply cared about, and destroy it.

If anything was stolen, it was the future experiences with my teenage son. I spent over 20 years and countless road trips and flights all over this country and a few to Europe to put it all together. The value of this project, at least to me, is restoring it with my teenage son and to build last memories for the both of us. Something he can take with him into his adult life. I firmly believe this next generation needs something special to get them off their phones and screens and he and I had plans to continue where I had left off when we're living California. I have a great photo of he and his sister inside the "hell hole" tailcone, when they were little kids. To think that she would do this knowing full well that son and I would be working together is probably the hardest hit to take.

I did the math and at my age, I have one, maybe two projects in me before it would be too physically taxing to complete. I'm not sure if you have a project or not, but there is something to know that you can bring this aircraft back to life in the sky someday. It's very inspiring to know and believe this in your heart. At least for me, I have thought about this project or done something related to it everyday since I bought it in Portugal and unloaded here in the states. Not all of you may be aware of this, but when you sign on to rebuild a warbird, it requires a strong commitment and connection to see it through. Countless hours of researching and tracking down people, just like you, who have the same passion and fascination with aviation and aviation history. I could be wrong, but when guys talk about how many hours they have in a project, they forget to mention all the research and phone calls and part hunting trips, just to get what you need to start, let alone the hours cleaning and rebuilding parts and bucking rivets. The camaraderie you build with fellow restorers and enthusiasts lasts a life time.

Given all this, I would love the opportunity to get my project back and continue with on with dream of restoring and flying it to airshows around the country.

I appreciate your time.

Patrick

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:38 am 

Fair points Patrick, and you're clearly going through a lot. I'm glad you were able to find out where it is, and hope you will be able to get things sorted out in a justified manner. Obviously, this was done in a way to cause harm and heartache.

Thoughts, prayers, and hopefully blue skies as you get through it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:30 pm 

Punisher05 wrote:
Fair points Patrick, and you're clearly going through a lot. I'm glad you were able to find out where it is, and hope you will be able to get things sorted out in a justified manner. Obviously, this was done in a way to cause harm and heartache.

Thoughts, prayers, and hopefully blue skies as you get through it.

Very well stated ! Best to you & your family Patrick ! :drink3:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:51 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Please count my good wishes and thoughts for your family Patrick.

Take care.

Andy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:07 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Pat
I know you were a member of NATA for 10 years and having worked on my SNJ for 24 years I know how it is, fortunately for me I have a wife that helped and is still with me after doing that and building a house. Hopefully you can finish your project with your son.
Stoney
former president of NATA and #1