Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:12 pm 

Wanted to share some pictures of the corsair that's still at orote airfield in guam. The site is very accessible if you have base access however I never saw anyone along the trail and everyone I asked seemed to know nothing about it. Finally,I found the historical trail sign and followed it to the wreck. They are building houses extremely close to the corsair now and I only hope it stays in the state its in once more people access the site.

Heres a link to the album with more photos

https://imgur.com/a/p3RFV

R/
Evan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:39 pm 

_evan wrote:
Wanted to share some pictures of the corsair that's still at orote airfield in guam. The site is very accessible if you have base access however I never saw anyone along the trail and everyone I asked seemed to know nothing about it. Finally,I found the historical trail sign and followed it to the wreck. They are building houses extremely close to the corsair now and I only hope it stays in the state its in once more people access the site.

Great pics! I was based in Guam in '98 and made the hike to that Corsair once. The coral pathway shredded my flip flops; that stuff is sharp! Didn't even have a camera with me, duh. Looks like there's a wee bit more rot and corrosion than I remember, but, it was 20 years ago...

So, crate it up, ship it to Breckenridge! They'll have it flying it a year. Just gotta build new wings. And tail. And nose. Cockpit and center section while they're at it...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:40 am 

RV8er wrote:
_evan wrote:

Great pics! I was based in Guam in '98 and made the hike to that Corsair once. The coral pathway shredded my flip flops; that stuff is sharp! Didn't even have a camera with me, duh. Looks like there's a wee bit more rot and corrosion than I remember, but, it was 20 years ago...

So, crate it up, ship it to Breckenridge! They'll have it flying it a year. Just gotta build new wings. And tail. And nose. Cockpit and center section while they're at it...

The Navy will sue anyone who attempts to move it. There is virtually no legal way to obtain ownership/possession of the wreck. That's why its still sitting there.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:04 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

So what is the optimal solution for this airframe?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:25 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Has this one ever been identified?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

RV8er wrote:

On a tour of the hangars, Nelson Ezell showed me a similar airframe section they had in store.
It might take them awhile, but I'm sure they could resurrect it. :) :)

Since they Navy won't let anyone restore it, I hope they actively protect it from vandals.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:24 pm 

Unfortunately I think its destined to forever sit where it lies since the navy wont release it. Hopefully one day they do something with the old airfield and give the wreck to a museum so it can at least be preserved. I don't think it will ever be more then a wreck but its still cool just like it is.

I did see other wreckage hiking on the trail and there is dense forest surrounding this wreck. Infact I am amazed the trail is as good as it is but it makes me wonder what else may be out there hiding in the woods on guam geek

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:07 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

wonder what ever happened to the"ZERO" in a cave?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:13 am 

Stoney wrote:

Info????

I only know of the Corsair b-29 and b-52 wrecks on Guam

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:42 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Stoney wrote:

Are you thinking of this Zero?

https://www.pacificwrecks.com/people/vi ... wiggs.html
http://www.ww2wrecks.com/portfolio/foun ... e-19-1944/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:45 pm 

This is also 200 yards off shore in Guam. I am pretty sure it’s a Jake. You can still see the rising sun on the wing. Got to dive it a month ago

https://youtube.com/watch?v=-N_nUDQBDNo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:50 pm 

my old friend art walker of seal beach ca who was a ww2 vet was stationed on Guam at the tail end of the war and had pics of him and his service buddys dumping air craft off the coast of the island, he said they dumped a bunch of fighters,mustangs and p40s....I dont know in how deep of water and or what side of the island they were ordered to dump them, but I'd bet theyre deep? deeper the better,less oxygen...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:25 pm 

JohnB wrote:
RV8er wrote:
...I'm sure they could resurrect it.

That'll buff right out...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:14 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

My suggestion is for the US Naval or Marine national museums retrieve it, clean it and soak it in distilled water. And use for trading material. Sadly the center spar is too far gone and would’ve been worth a fortune at one time.
I don’t think there’s a single piece of it that can be made airworthy. A few Bf-109s and other aircraft have served as a static rebuild/ replica for museum display. Someone would love to have it and build up a display.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:44 am 

mike furline wrote:
Stoney wrote:

Are you thinking of this Zero?

https://www.pacificwrecks.com/people/vi ... wiggs.html
http://www.ww2wrecks.com/portfolio/foun ... e-19-1944/

That Zero in your links took part in the "Marianas Turkey Shoot" and was damaged in combat. The pilot limped his plane back to Guam for a forced landing and died from his injuries. It was recovered from a marshy area in the 1960s and is now on display in Japan.