Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Thibodeau's New Fury?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:14 pm 

Anyone have any info about this? Joe and his son came back to PRS at Reno this year to get race certified and the rumor is they're bringing a new Fury and maybe Crusader... Anybody? Crickets? I'm pretty sure Sander's have 2 Furies in their shop right now, could just be the 2800 powered one though that isn't for Joe.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:27 pm 

GRNDP51 wrote:
Anyone have any info about this? Joe and his son came back to PRS at Reno this year to get race certified and the rumor is they're bringing a new Fury and maybe Crusader... Anybody? Crickets? I'm pretty sure Sander's have 2 Furies in their shop right now, could just be the 2800 powered one though that isn't for Joe.

There aren't a whole lot of Sea Furies currently on the market. Nothing on Courtesy or Platinum. I found one in the UK that has a 3350, ready for paint, and was recently sold. My other thought was, could it be Riff Raff? Wasn't Riff Raff put up for sale not too long ago (I can't find a listing for it, but I could swear it was within the past 6 months)

The only two Sea Furies I can find with a quick google search.
http://www.warbirdconnection.com/forsal ... fb-11.html
http://spiritinthesky.co.uk/classic-air ... -for-sale/

Will

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:34 pm 

Blackbirdfan wrote:
GRNDP51 wrote:

There aren't a whole lot of Sea Furies currently on the market. Nothing on Courtesy or Platinum. I found one in the UK that has a 3350, ready for paint, and was recently sold. My other thought was, could it be Riff Raff? Wasn't Riff Raff put up for sale not too long ago (I can't find a listing for it, but I could swear it was within the past 6 months)

Will

I think both of those you have listed had to have been sold awhile ago. The first link G-CBEL is now repainted and flies in Europe somewhere, don't feel like figuring out who owns it but it's a regular at Duxford. The second one is N35SF which is the one I know of being restored for Chuck Greenhill at Sanders. I don't understand why they converted it to a 2800 with the long canopy when it looked like this for sale, but not my plane or money... I still think there could be another Fury at Sanders that isn't talked about, could've sworn I've seen it in the back of a photo or something.

IF and IF there is a 'Thibodeau' Fury out there I'm leaning towards Riff Raff and I REALLY hope that is the case. It seems to be a "we hope to have everything sorted out by Reno" type of plane and Riff Raff being on the other side of the world would validate that, I keep checking to see if the registration changes but it's still held by Aircraft Guaranty Trustee which holds planes that are in other countries, and In Riff Raff's case allowed it to hold the same N#.

My other hope that faded away was the plane that was listed up at the same time as Riff Raff N1954H, it was at MeierMotors getting an overhaul and paint redone and it just got finished up, yet all signs point to her staying in Germany for the time being...

Riff Raff seems to be the closest option to what they already had, Sea Hawk was a pretty competitive 3350 Fury with the small canopy. I really hope that this is the case, I recently read about all of the airframe modifications that Riff Raff has done to her that make her faster and it's incredible how much faster the team made it go without doing anything to the engine (race prep/slow nose). If they decided to race prep it I bet they could get Lewis to sell them a slow nose and Riff Raff would be a top notch racer!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:02 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Blackbirdfan wrote:
GRNDP51 wrote:

Will

Platinum doesn't have any listed right now, but they have had two 3350 Fury's listed for many months.
Both were in Europe - one was RiffRaff.
They may have sold. (?)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:20 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I thought I heard a few months back that Walt Bowe was selling his(?).

There have been a number of recent Warbird sales that were never publicly listed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:24 pm 

JohnTerrell wrote:
I thought I heard a few months back that Walt Bowe was selling his(?).

There have been a number of recent Warbird sales that were never publicly listed.

Yes this is true, I've been watching to see if the Reg changes hands too, would be a little upsetting if they get a Cent Fury but hey at least it'll race

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:04 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

N63SF is the airplane.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:10 pm 

JohnH wrote:
N63SF is the airplane.

Oh my.... it is....

We have a #, but what plane is this? Another Greenhill Fury?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:49 pm 

So which one is that? Is that Walter Bowes or? I can't find a pic of N63SF anywhere.

Will

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:07 pm 

Blackbirdfan wrote:
So which one is that? Is that Walter Bowes or? I can't find a pic of N63SF anywhere.

Will

Nope, ex-Iraqi Fury, I'm trying to learn more about it but there isn't any info. It was certified airworthy about a year ago under Amphib Inc which is associated with Greenhill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:37 pm 

GRNDP51 wrote:
Blackbirdfan wrote:

Will

Nope, ex-Iraqi Fury, I'm trying to learn more about it but there isn't any info. It was certified airworthy about a year ago under Amphib Inc which is associated with Greenhill

It could be this one at Sanders. Its an R2800 powered one apparently. http://www.sandersaeronautics.com/resto ... roject.asp According to the FAA N number search, its powered by an R2800, so I'd guess its this one.

Will

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:48 pm 

Blackbirdfan wrote:
GRNDP51 wrote:
Blackbirdfan wrote:

Will

It could be this one at Sanders. Its an R2800 powered one apparently. http://www.sandersaeronautics.com/resto ... roject.asp According to the FAA N number search, its powered by an R2800, so I'd guess its this one.

Will

If 35SF is the plane in the background (could be 924G), then you might be right. 35SF is also getting the 2800, but it's not an ISS

Edit* I think that is 924 because that is a Centaurus mounted, correct? I swear this is 35SF but who knows at this point

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:21 am 

One more note about Sanders, there ARE 2 Sea Furies there right now... N35SF is a 3350 powered single seat that is being worked on pretty often, there is also the "Chuck Greenhill" dual-control 2800 powered Sea Fury. If everything adds up I think that one would be N63SF...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:36 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Joe bought Greenhill's two holer WG655. It now has the R-2800. little birdie told me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:51 pm 

Seen on Instagram today

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkKpxGQH_kq ... i0upi8ebx9