Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:56 pm 

Hi All,

While in New Orleans this past December, I made a visit to the NMWW2 to see the new-to-me buildings and displays. Most important was the Boeing Pavilion and 'My Gal Sal." I had wanted to make a photo of the Boeing Pavilion lit up at night, but was unable to do so as they are constructing another building and access was blocked.

Many photos from all throughout the museum.

The gallery is here:

https://www.vgbimages.com/AFV-Photos/Na ... e/n-Kpbgx4

Teasers:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:40 pm 

I'm curious what the weight of the B-17 is "as hung". They have quite a lot of load on the building structure with so much suspended.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:44 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Great photos! Thanks for sharing! It looks like an impressive museum. I especially like "My Gal Sal" and the B-25. The SBD looks great as well.

The Corsair looks odd. It looks like it might be a dash-4 airframe and prop with a FG-1D cowling.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:24 pm 

Super photos, Paul.

Thanks for sharing them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:28 am 

Thanks for the report Paul.
There used to be a B-24 cockpit there as well I think.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

kalamazookid wrote:
Great photos! Thanks for sharing! It looks like an impressive museum. I especially like "My Gal Sal" and the B-25. The SBD looks great as well.

The Corsair looks odd. It looks like it might be a dash-4 airframe and prop with a FG-1D cowling.

Bingo, apparently a rebuilt to airworthy center section by Tom Reilly was acquired by the Vought Retiree's club and alot of rebuilding / fabrication was necessary. Including finding a FG-1D nosebowl and grafting it on to the front. I don't blame the Vought group. They did an amazing job on a shoe string budget. What I don't understand is the National Museum of WWII didn't take the time or effort to correct alot of the problems and update her to a late-war -4 Corsair. Which would work fine in that museum.

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:59 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks for the photos of the B-17. Last time I saw her, she was a pile of parts. Glad to see she's looking as she should today. She wasn't in the museum the one time I was there.
Frankly, I was surprised at the museum for all the reproduction/replica stuff on display for the individual GI stuff. Several display cases I looked at, I was shaking my head as they had reproduction stuff that I had originals back at home...
They tell a good story for the layman (my wife liked how it was laid out) but those who are into seeing the 'old stuff' might be a little disappointed. If I ever make it back to New Orleans again, I'd only go there again to see the finished B-17 on display.

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:12 pm 

Andy Marden wrote:

It's still there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:47 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Andy Marden wrote:

It's a PB4Y-2 nose painted to look like a B-24.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:41 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Wonderful stuff! Once again I just can't thank you enough for these presentations!!

PIC, Ford 6600 pulling Rhino batwing up and down the runway

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

TAdan wrote:
Andy Marden wrote:

It's a PB4Y-2 nose painted to look like a B-24.

Would have fooled me! I would LOVE to have that nose and paint it up as, you guessed it, my grandfather's aircraft. Would make for a reply colorful paint job! In case you may have missed (and are interested in checking out my 1/48th build) go to the link here to see my build of his aircraft. http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=73023

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:44 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Warbird Kid wrote:
kalamazookid wrote:

Bingo, apparently a rebuilt to airworthy center section by Tom Reilly was acquired by the Vought Retiree's club and alot of rebuilding / fabrication was necessary. Including finding a FG-1D nosebowl and grafting it on to the front. I don't blame the Vought group. They did an amazing job on a shoe string budget. What I don't understand is the National Museum of WWII didn't take the time or effort to correct alot of the problems and update her to a late-war -4 Corsair. Which would work fine in that museum.

Chris, FYI, the spar that was built for this Corsair was deemed "unairworthy" so the Vought Heritage group got it on the cheap compared to other available projects. It was along time ago and not many new Corsair spars has been successfully tried by that period.
Jerry

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jerry O'Neill wrote:
Warbird Kid wrote:
kalamazookid wrote:

Chris, FYI, the spar that was built for this Corsair was deemed "unairworthy" so the Vought Heritage group got it on the cheap compared to other available projects. It was along time ago and not many new Corsair spars has been successfully tried by that period.
Jerry

Doh! Thank you for the clarification! For some reason I thought it was an airworthy section. Glad to hear it wasn't!

WK the always learning! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:36 pm 

Great series of pics. Thanks so much for posting.

I have a question about the paint on the B-17. Does anyone know why there is dark shading along the rivet lines in certain areas? For example, in front of the cockpit on the area over the bombardier/navigator section? It also appears in the midsection. Is this due to faulty paint prep? Something to do with the riveting? Something else?

I've seen this on other planes, I'm just not sure why it happens and figure someone in this brain trust knows.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:19 pm 

Just a guess but maybe it's corrosion protection like ACF-50? I know that stuff gets into skin seams by capillary action and can sometimes stain paint.

C2j