Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tom Cruise P-51 …
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:19 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Saville wrote:
I have often wondered if Cruise flies his Mustang...I guess he does.

I wonder what was used for a camera aircraft in the video?

My respect for Cruise increased dramatically when he appeared on "Inside the Actor's Studio"many years ago. He was asked what his favorite sound was. He said, "The sound of a Rolls Royce Merlin." That may have been before he owned the P-51.

The camera aircraft was the Cinejet L-39, same one that did most of the filming for the movie. It's flown and operated by the same guys who do the Patriot L-39 Jet Demo Team.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2017/10/11/ ... ra-system/

Don't know if Dudley is on here much anymore, but he posted on Facebook that he's spoken to multiple guys whom Tom has flown and/or trained with and the report is pretty short - paid his dues, did it the right way, one of the most approachable and personable people out there. I've "run into" him several times over the years working line and every time he's gotten out of whatever jet he was flying in (most recently several times in his HondaJet that he right-seats in most of the time as he was filming the movie) he's been smiling, said "hi" to the line guys he ran into, and genuinely been just a nice guy. Everyone I work with treats everyone as just a normal person though, and over the years, that's gotten so much better of a reaction because of it. I've ended up with some nice mementos and memories over the years because we just treated people that way.

On the video though - best part for me was the "wild" Steve Hinton in "Wee Willy" showing up to fight Tom & James. Can't miss that helmet. :supz:

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:17 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

deleted

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:49 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Cubs2jets wrote:
Sooooo.....

I'm sure somebody recognizes the airport they are flying out of. Where is it?

C2j

Had to do some google map searching, but believe I have it identified the airport as Kern County/Inyokern airport. I matched up runway 33 by pausing at minute 14:17 of the clip with a google map. The taxiways and hangars match as well. The tired aero commander? seen early in the clip by the F-6 Mustang also shows up on google maps.

https://goo.gl/maps/5kj7R7xsoTCmF3GS7

To be pedantic about it (because we are warbird enthusiasts right, :lol: ), his "P-51" is actually a F-6K, pretty rare. 44-12840

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 10:01 am 

It was an F-6K, but I think they restored it to (mostly) P-51D/K spec. At some point in the video I could see 'P-51K' in the data block on the left side of the fuselage. I don't think it has the camera hatches that would be correct for an F-6K.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 10:13 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Archer wrote:
It was an F-6K, but I think they restored it to (mostly) P-51D/K spec. At some point in the video I could see 'P-51K' in the data block on the left side of the fuselage. I don't think it has the camera hatches that would be correct for an F-6K.

Thanks Archer, I also noted the P-51K on the stencil, but did not know it had be reworked/(de)modified to a P-51. Surely not as sexy saying you fly a F-6K....The casual fan would have no idea what you were talking about, those knowledgeable might wonder Hellcat?, the true warbird nerd MIGHT get it....but everyone knows a P-51. Kinda like the F-13 Superfortress and other special designations.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 12:45 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Saw an early screening of "Top Gun:Maverick" last night and it was a lot of fun!

A worthy successor to the original with just enough of a touch from the past to make you reminisce. But good enough to stand on it's own even if you have not watched the first movie.

And yes, the Mustang gets its camera time.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 2:09 pm 

sandiego89 wrote:
Had to do some google map searching, but believe I have it identified the airport as Kern County/Inyokern airport. I matched up runway 33 by pausing at minute 14:17 of the clip with a google map. The taxiways and hangars match as well. The tired aero commander? seen early in the clip by the F-6 Mustang also shows up on google maps.

https://goo.gl/maps/5kj7R7xsoTCmF3GS7

Thanks sandiego89!

C2j

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 10:00 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Dave Hadfield wrote:
In his movie American Made (which I really enjoyed) he seems really comfortable around aircraft in a way that most actors try to be, but fail at.

He had Steve Hinton sitting next to him...

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Having Steve Hinton in the right seat would make me comfortable in just about anything.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 5:39 am 

Steve is my co-pilot.... :drink3:

C2j

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 10:13 am 

JohnB wrote:
It would be interesting to know about his training.
Obviously not military (or old school AG etc.), so what did he fly, and for how long, to get to a level of competence so not to hurt himself.

I would imagine worked his way up from a Stearman and/or T-6.

You have got to give him credit, my hat's off to him.
Regardless of your opinion of him as an actor or person, he seems to be the"real deal" as a pilot.

Quite a change from other Hollywood pretenders...I suspect half the guys in the"Fast and Furious" franchise can't drive a stick shift, or the guys pretending to be cops or cowboys be able to competently handle firearms. :wink:

Cadets trained up through Primary Trainers (PT) then Basic Trainers (BT) then Advanced trainers (AT). Typically a cadet would have 150 hours of time in PT/BT/AT aircraft before transitioning into fighters.

While there may be some examples of well-to-do individuals that have hopped into a hi-performance fighter with little to no training and lived to tell about it... there are also many examples of ones who didnt.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 1:06 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

menards wrote:
Cadets trained up through Primary Trainers (PT) then Basic Trainers (BT) then Advanced trainers (AT). Typically a cadet would have 150 hours of time in PT/BT/AT aircraft before transitioning into fighters.

While there may be some examples of well-to-do individuals that have hopped into a hi-performance fighter with little to no training and lived to tell about it... there are also many examples of ones who didnt.

Cruise got his tickets after his experiences in Top Gun in the late 80s, and flew a Pitts around for many years before he got into his Mustang.

If you snoop around the archives here and other places, there are numerous places Matt Jackson spoke a little about helping Cruise train in his P-51 a decade or more ago.

It was pretty clear that Cruise didn't want to take any experience shortcuts, nor was Jackson going to let him out on his own without the right skills and experience.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 3:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I’d also bet that Cruise and Jackson didn’t have a whole lot of say in the matter regarding the option of shortcuts. Not like either would want to anyway. Not to mention that if one could afford the proper time and training, you’d be a fool not to take advantage of it. Unless you’re a fool with a death wish.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 3:35 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Mark Allen M wrote:
I’d also bet that Cruise and Jackson didn’t have a whole lot of say in the matter regarding the option of shortcuts. Not like either would want to anyway. Not to mention that if one could afford the proper time and training, you’d be a fool not to take advantage of it. Unless you’re a fool with a death wish.

Roy Halladay ?

Phil

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:11 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

phil65 wrote:
Mark Allen M wrote:

Roy Halladay ?

Phil

Don't forget John Denver; JFK, Jr.; Tony Bettenhausen, Jr.; and others. Money and fame doesn't mean they'll do it right. The Mooney and Bonanza wouldn't have their nicknames if not for people with lots of money and not a lot of good training.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next