Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:08 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Off topic, but the best museum I've visited overall is the Oklahoma City Bombing Museum and Memorial. I don't want to give it away, but, if you're ever in the area, it is well worth your time. The way in which you enter the museum and view the subsequent displays is incredibly well done.

Ken

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:37 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Also not aviation but sort-of-related, The 1st ID museum near Chicago had (and maybe still has) a D-Day experience where you see a film that was shown on what looked like the ramp of an LCM. The ramp goes down and you're looking and walking into at a littered "Omaha Beach" 1:1 scale diorama. It's been 20 years since I've been there, now that I think about it, so I don't know if it's still like that. But I was impressed with the design.
The 'airborne experience' at the Ste Mere Eglise museum has you walking through a C-47 with the side cut away, and the other side filled with a half stick of paratroopers in correct (and likely original) uniforms and equipment. You walk out the normal exit as if you're 'jumping' into the dark on June 6, 1944 and it transitions to you're standing roughly 100 feet from where you really are, but it's on D-Day.
Warbirdnerd wrote:
The National Museum of the USMC in Triangle, VA has a very impressive Vietnam exhibit.
You enter it through the back of a CH-46 and walk down the ramp to the middle of a firebase.

Isn't it hotter when you walk into that area? I went through this museum soon after it opened and while I might be wrong, I thought I remembered it was warmer in that area. Yeah, it was a very impressive entrance to the exhibit area.

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:07 am 

Thanks for the kind words about the Newark OH KVTA F-4C restoration. We have been making enhancements here and there; landing and nav lights, etc.

That sign cover was the idea of Terry Treneff, airport board member. The sign looks as a good as the first day it was put out there; yes hard to believe we have that much sun in Ohio...but the UV still gets thru...

Going to be doing some spring cleaning and other enhancements when the March wx subsides....need to get to ready for a big Southeast Asia memorial event in August.

Was thinking about finding some mannikins, making imitation flight helmets and lighting the cockpit interior. Other ideas welcome...

BTW if on I-70 east of Columbus Ohio go check out the F-105B that Mike Bates and family restored out at Zanesville airport...its a beauty. Both it and the F-4 have been featured in FlyPast...

PT-19/26, T-34 CAF Pilot

Favorite quote from Wind, Sand & Stars - A. St. Exupuery "friends are like trees...when they are gone we miss their shade"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:47 pm 

The Deutsches Museum in Munich has a very impressive A300 cross section on display

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... ection.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:59 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Rauhbatz wrote:
That sign cover was the idea of Terry Treneff, airport board member. The sign looks as a good as the first day it was put out there; yes hard to believe we have that much sun in Ohio...but the UV still gets thru...

I've seen plenty of examples of sun-bleached and weather-worn information placards next to aircraft, so the lid stood out to me as such a great idea. What material did you use for the sign itself?

I particularly enjoyed the detail about the new nose section. Based on the description, I take it that it was never associated with an airframe and was just used at the factory, correct?

Two things irk me, the misspelling "McDonald-Douglas" and, to a lesser extent, the lack of hyphens in the designations. I know firsthand how hard it is to correct signs once they have been installed though. :wink:

On the subject that wear has on displays, there was a creative example called the "Touchometer" at the Ashmolean Museum that shows the effect of repeated human contact with artifacts. It featured pieces of limestone and silver as well as a digital counter in a gilded wood frame.[1] One half of each was covered with a piece of clear plexiglass and the other was left exposed. As visitors touched the exposed half they began to wear, while the portion that was covered remained pristine. (Essentially the same thing that happened to the left-front and right-rear of Flak-Bait's nose when it was on display.) The counter kept track of how many times the materials had been touched. Similar to the car in the half-and-half restorations thread, I thought it was another neat way explaining the behind-the-scenes aspect of decision making in museums.

Warbird Philosophy Webmaster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:13 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I was paging through the Grumman aircraft thread and I came across pictures of some boards laying out the electrical, fuel, and landing gear systems for an F8F that would make excellent museum displays (and apparently I wasn't the only one that though so):
(Source: Warbird Information Exchange)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I would bet most military (and civil) mechanic tech schools had similar displays for various types.
Also, I have seen some "cut down" exhibits in modern A&P schools. One Near me has a very shortened Cessna with stub wings and tail.

Last edited by JohnB on Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:33 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Noha307 wrote:
I was paging through the Grumman aircraft thread and I came across pictures of some boards laying out the electrical, fuel, and landing gear systems for an F8F that would make excellent museum displays (and apparently I wasn't the only one that though so):
I remember using a system board like this at the Northrop University A&P school.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:03 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Ran into a pretty interesting way to make use of those standard "engine on a stand" displays you see at every aviation museum. This one's at the Aerospace Museum of California:
(Source: Flickr)
(Source: Flickr)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:26 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

As you may have guessed, I'm kind of a sucker for cutaway or exploded views of stuff, so I thought this display at the Bristol City Museum of a Centaurus geartrain was cool:
(Source: Wikimedia Commons)

Also on the subject of engine displays, a company called Ouno created a transparent touch screen for GKN Aerospace at the Farnborough Airshow. Imagine a cutaway engine, but the different stages of the cycle of the engine could be projected with animated overlays.

Finally, in a nod to the Warbirds and Video Games thread, I've always thought the x-ray views from War Thunder would make a particularly insightful museum interactive. Sure, there are plenty of cutaway drawings, but one that allows the user to rotate and elevate the model to see it from different angles is significantly more informative:
Attachment:
War Thunder X-Ray View.png
War Thunder X-Ray View.png [ 1005.15 KiB | Viewed 3615 times ]

(Source: War Thunder)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Many years ago, while visiting the Imperial War Museum in London, I saw a 3-D diorama of an 8th AF B-17 formation showing several combat boxes.
It was made up of 1/72 models (probably Airfix kits) and was four or five square get and several feet high.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:25 am 

Aviation Heritage Centre's wonderful WW I displays at Omaka, up the top of the
south Island of New Zealand, the figures completing the story of these machines.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:59 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

That von Richthofen diorama is very impressive (and likely accurate).

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:20 am 

sandiego89 wrote:
Never been there, but always thought the Aircraft Carrier like wing of the UK Fleet Air Arm Museum, Yeovilton, was always a neat idea, with deck markings, lighting, the ski ramp and wall adorned to look like the island of an aircraft carrier. The Navy room at the main Mall Smithsonian museum did a similar thing on a smaller scale with fake pipes, etc giving it a ship like feel.

The walk through B-29 at the USAF "command Decision" is very neat, with a Plexiglas tunnel allowing you to walk through the fuselage.

Can't recall which museum that had a S-2F that they let kids climb all around in a purposeful "please touch" display. What a great way to let kids touch and feel and smell, and hardly rare, so no big deal that it got wear and tear. Wish more museums would have sacrificial hands on aircraft, and give them one to explore.

Here is my photo of the Phantom II exhibit on the 'carrier deck'
ImageXT596 by aerovet1954, on Flickr[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:07 pm 

The Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn Michigan has the Byrd Polar Expedition Fokker on display in a 1:1 diorama.

They also have Byrd's Ford Tri-Motor from the Antarctic expedition displayed in an early airliner setting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next