Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2023 restorations.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:51 pm 
KiwiZac

DoraNineFan wrote:
Kermit Weeks made a video with a shop tour at Vintage V12s, and he mentioned in passing that he was thinking of using a DB-601 for his Ki-61. He also said Jerry had an Ha-40 for the other Ki-61 and was trying to use it.

I'm not allowed to share photos but there are multiple examples of both stored in New Zealand waiting for the Tonys to move up the queue.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:36 pm 

Thanks Zac.Has anyone got a timeline on whats going through there at the moment?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:06 pm 
KiwiZac

Spitty wrote:
Thanks Zac.Has anyone got a timeline on whats going through there at the moment?

My pleasure! I'm sure they do but I didn't ask and wasn't told :wink: The Dutch P-40E (41-36018/ET664/White 25) is at the front of the line, though.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:25 am 

Wonder if they are before or after his Kingfishers though..The only other Ki61 I know of complete is the one in Japan..There were rumours of one or two in a Russian restoration shop but that was years ago..

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:41 pm 
KiwiZac

Spitty wrote:
Wonder if they are before or after his Kingfishers though..

That's a very good question - the Kingfisher's in Pioneer's workshop but the Tonys are stored awaiting Avspecs' attention in a different hangar to their workshop.

Spitty wrote:
The only other Ki61 I know of complete is the one in Japan..There were rumours of one or two in a Russian restoration shop but that was years ago..

It's very humbling to be in the same hangar as 3/4 of the world's population of a single type! (as far as I'm aware)

JohnH wrote:
In the latest AC , O'Leary mentions some secret , never thought possible restoration to fly that's coming. I wonder what it could be? Hornet?

Not Sea Hornet TT193! Can confirm it's still in storage.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:44 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

This popped up this morning....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfKCdiU6p8Y

Supermarine Walrus....A couple of decent late photos at the very end of the video.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:40 am 

Cvairwerks wrote:
This popped up this morning....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfKCdiU6p8Y

Supermarine Walrus....A couple of decent late photos at the very end of the video.

The Walrus has been under restoration for a very long time. It is currently in the hands of ARCo at Duxford. Below is a picture of it in it's current state, though a year old, taken by Fred Taylor.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/85383837@N04/51438705379

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:24 pm 

Happy New Year to all of my fellow Wixers. It looks like that the Helldiver of Fagen's will be flying in 2023. Also the Ex P-51 of Dan Martin Ridge Runner now owned by Pat Harker will bel flying in 2023. The first of the TF's out at Airmotive in Salinas CA. Will be called Hel Eter. Several other TF's out there as well probably most all of you know that all ready.
I will make a yearly prediction that Pat Harker's Twin Mustang will fly in 2023 Wink Wink. I did see this aircraft at Pat Harker's facility way back in 2005 courtesy of my late friend Dick Phillips. That aircraft plus 17 years has to be really far along. Also I think Harker has substantial parts of a P-51H. How much I have no idea.. 2023 should be an interesting year. As I always say Keepem Flyin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:45 pm 
Jump Street

Ed Likes wrote:
Happy New Year to all of my fellow Wixers. It looks like that the Helldiver of Fagen's will be flying in 2023. Also the Ex P-51 of Dan Martin Ridge Runner now owned by Pat Harker will bel flying in 2023. The first of the TF's out at Airmotive in Salinas CA. Will be called Hel Eter. Several other TF's out there as well probably most all of you know that all ready.
I will make a yearly prediction that Pat Harker's Twin Mustang will fly in 2023 Wink Wink. I did see this aircraft at Pat Harker's facility way back in 2005 courtesy of my late friend Dick Phillips. That aircraft plus 17 years has to be really far along. Also I think Harker has substantial parts of a P-51H. How much I have no idea.. 2023 should be an interesting year. As I always say Keepem Flyin

I have been waiting to see 'Hel-Eter/Lil-Toddie' now for a couple years now. Hopefully it happens this year; I can't wait. All of the 506th FG vets are now gone (that we had tabs on), but this will be a great tribute to a lesser known/not as familiar area of operations for the P-51. Plus the paint scheme is pretty awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:50 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Here's a 3D rendering that was done of the "Hel-e-ter" paint scheme. Love to see PTO schemes!

https://www.renderhub.com/panaristi/nor ... 1d-heleter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:04 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Pat Carry wrote:
Although not destined to be a flyer, what about the Wildcat currently in restoration at the Air Zoo? I understand after the restoration is complete, it will be going to the Natl Medal of Honor Museum in Texas.

Here's what it looked like December 30:

ImageFM-2 Restoration by Matthew Vader, on Flickr

More Wildcat, SBD-1 and F-117 photos from my visit here and on page 3 of the same album:

https://flickr.com/photos/124970884@N02 ... 9613/page2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:12 am 

Does anyone know if anything is going on with the company who has the former Howard Pardue's F4U-4 Corsair that was damaged after a engine failure and belly landing and also the F4U-4 once owned by Cavanaugh Flight Museum that was damaged at Oshkosh after hitting Howard's XF8F-1 ? Are these being actively worked on or are they awaiting the start of restoration ? Thanks, Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:32 pm 
KiwiZac

Zac Yates wrote:
Jay McIntyre and Rex Newman's WACO UOC ZK-AEL
Bristol F.2B replica ZK-BHS (High Road to China build)

The WACO flew on January 9 and the Bristol replica yesterday (I believe - DaveM2 can confirm!).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:23 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Zac

Quote:
DoraNineFan wrote:
Kermit Weeks made a video with a shop tour at Vintage V12s, and he mentioned in passing that he was thinking of using a DB-601 for his Ki-61. He also said Jerry had an Ha-40 for the other Ki-61 and was trying to use it.

I'm not allowed to share photos but there are multiple examples of both stored in New Zealand waiting for the Tonys to move up the queue.

I think I am getting old......I am actually :-)

I remember a member from down under on either this board or the previous incarnation called Mick Grinder (not sure on the name. I apologize if spelled wrong) that had quite a few Tony's airframe for his project. Are they still around?

Him or someone (Tony?) else had pictures of his 2 main fuselages.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:38 pm 

Michel Lemieux wrote:
Zac

Quote:
DoraNineFan wrote:

I think I am getting old......I am actually :-)

I remember a member from down under on either this board or the previous incarnation called Mick Grinder (not sure on the name. I apologize if spelled wrong) that had quite a few Tony's airframe for his project. Are they still around?

Him or someone (Tony?) else had pictures of his 2 main fuselages.

the two tony's in Micks posts were Jerry Yagens and the one that was being restored to go back to PNG (they also had Kermits one there for reference) Mick Grinter was working at Precision aerospace at the time the original plan was for 4 KI61's to be built but only Jerry's and the PNG machine ever got work done as far as i know.

unfortunately Mick passed away a few years ago and i believe the PNG KI61 is now at HARS in Wollongong being finished off.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next