Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:35 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

I'll be on the base next week for business. Anyone have any tips? Is it dark inside? If so I'll bring a tripod.

Any secrets? Any back rooms to finagle access to? Any contacts I need?

Thanks,

Brandon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:38 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

BK

Always seems to be a lot of complaints that it is very dark inside..the new hall was I think painted black, which obviously doesn't help matters ! So tripod essential..if you are allowed to use one ?

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:43 am 
WRG Staff Photographer & WIX Brewmaster

Bring a good flash, Enjoy! Plan to spend a lot of time there. Hit the X & Presidential hanger first (so get there when it opens if you can) That trip will bring you right back to boot camp :shock:

I missed the B-45 and the RB-47. If you don't posting a couple shots of them you'd make my day. If the RB-47 is out of Restoration yet.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:16 am 
Taylorcraft Racing

bdk wrote:
I'll be on the base next week for business. Anyone have any tips? Is it dark inside? If so I'll bring a tripod.

Any secrets? Any back rooms to finagle access to? Any contacts I need?

Thanks,

Brandon

Brandon,

I've been in caves with more light than the new building! Take a tripod. The best back room to get into is the restoration tour. I think it is on Fridays and you need to sign up ahead of time. If you see it, get some pics of the CF-100.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:20 am 

yes take a tripod and lots of film..plan on taking a whole day or two to see it all..use a flash too , but if you are using a digital a flash will make the pictures to dark , if the settings not right.. i should know i live there almost 2 to 3 times a month. you will have a great time. plus check out the web site they have also. it will let you know whats going on.. have fun..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:53 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Thanks all. My flash is useless beyond about 10 feet, so I'll bring a magnesium flare with me. I can color correct the images later. :shock:

Just kidding about that naturally... :P

I may only have a few hours, so I'll have to make the best of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:39 am 

A few is better then none! The flash store was the same for me, But I have some pictures, Ok, like 800 or so. That Museum filled a whole CD with 2.1 megpix pictures. :)

Post subject: P-63E at WP Museum
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:55 pm 
Brandon:

If you have time while at WrightPatterson Museum, will you plz take a picture for me of the "exterior ID plates" located on the R/S fuselage of the AFM P-63E 43-11728?
There are 2 of them. One below the air scoop and another aft of it about 1 1/2 feet. Tks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:19 pm 

I think that is hanging from the roof in the Hangers on W.P AFB.

If that one is the one that is Orange

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:27 pm 

Last time I was there (a few months ago...) the P-63 was on the floor in the WW II gallery. Nice to see it down from the ceiling of the annex... Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:22 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

I'll do my best for the "special requests."

BK

Post subject: just got back from there
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:31 pm 
Jump Street

I just got back from there, decided to take a little 'me' trip from philly out there over last tuesday and wed. i spent both days there and still didn't have enough time to see everything the way i wanted to!

The WWII stuff is great, their A-20 is beautiful and the p-61 is stunning. my digital camera did ok, i actually found it better not to use the flash in a lot of places on the digital, the only problem though was while the pictures were much more brighter, they were a bit blurry. couldn't figure it out, maybe play with the shutter speed if you have that. i drove myself almost nuts trying make sure i got the best shots between that and 4 rolls of regular film. (move people, move@!!!!)

and yes, definitley get to the R&D and presidential hangers, some really cool stuff there. i was impressed by the valkrye (sp?) and even the piper enforcer mustang! very great trip, can't wait to go back. if anyone wants to see something, i'll see if i have it, i can put it up in a few days after i'm back from ca.

brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:52 pm 

bdk wrote:
Thanks all. My flash is useless beyond about 10 feet, so I'll bring a magnesium flare with me. I can color correct the images later. :shock:

Just kidding about that naturally... :P

I may only have a few hours, so I'll have to make the best of it.

Not to bad of an idea about the magnesium flare it might give you a bit better of light. :lol: I have to agree with everyone on here also. The tripod is a must!!!!!!!!!! The lighting of course is very, very dim. If your camera is anything like mine you might want to just set your camera on the "Bulb" setting and just let it set. :lol: They have a huge awesome collection. I spent a day down there many years back and it was just not enough time. They have so much that it truely is just to much to take all in, in one day. Good luck on the few hours. Must see's in my opinion. B-26, B-17, ME-262, P-61, P-63's, B-25, B-24, B-29 are just a TINY little bit of many beauties. I know I missed a TON. But have a great time. I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave D.