Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

What's in the middle of nowhere? (Big Spring, TX)

Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:34 pm

I went to Connie Edwards' place, just outside of Big Spring, TX yesterday to drop off some Piaggio parts for him. I know most of you have seen his collection of stuff, but for the rest of you, here are some pictures........

Mustang, ME-109 (CASA), & Merlin "stuff" all over the place.......

The Sherman tank runs, but needs a carburetor right now. Trust me, he has plenty of other projects going on right now and just hasn't made time for the tank too........

Just as we started going through his hangars, the batteries on my camera took a dump. This one photo is all I have for now, as I am trying to find a cable to download the rest of the pictures I took with a borrowed camera. I have quite a few more photos I'll share with y'all later........

Gary

Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:48 pm

Wow, he has a fortune in parts there! Thanks for the pics.

Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:01 pm

Oh my gods. I've heard stories for years about the stash Connie has, mostly from Randy Sohn, but THAT, my friends, is Mecca right there.

Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:03 pm

Trust me, there's plenty more. I'll try to get the pictures posted ASAP.

Gary

Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:53 pm

wow, that's quite spectacular.

Is it more of an inventory that are for sale, or is it his collection?

Thanks,

David

Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:16 pm

Amazing stuff Gary... thanks so much for posting these. I had not realized how sizeable his collection of parts was. I knew about some of his aircraft... just not the parts. Wow!!!

Cheers. Richard

Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:36 pm

I had heard someone was working a deal for some of the merlin "stuff" he has.

Something must be going on, because most of that "stuff" was stored in one of the quanset huts. Now it is all out on the ramp all pretty like, on pallets ready to go somewhere.

Is it more of an inventory that are for sale, or is it his collection?

He is generally pretty proud of his "stuff", and getting prouder every day. Hard to make a deal with him.

Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:46 pm

Now the Sherman would be a nice piece of equipment to have! :twisted:

Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:54 pm

He indeed does have a "heavy hitter" (as he called the guy) to come and look at the Merlin stuff. I'm not at liberty to give any further details, but they were working hard to organize everything so that a potential buyer could go through and identify all of his Merlin items.

I was unsuccessful in finding the cable to attach to that borrowed camera for me to download the remaining pictures. Soooo, it'll be a couple of days before I can post the rest of them. If y'all were impressed with what you've seen so far, you're not going to believe the other stuff I've got pictures of. :wink:

Gary

Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:29 pm

Thanks for posting garry. I have always known about his collection but have never seen any of it except for 2.

Back in the 90's, dad organized a airshow in FT lauderdale. It was for the anniversary of FLT 19. So basically he went through his FRIENDS list and invited them. Connie brought his Albatross and his kid brought the TBM. There were 7 of them at the show. If I remember right, his kid got into some trouble when the 7 of them took a AM flight out over the beach. Where they discovered a FAT oil tanker anchored off shore waiting to come into Port Everglades. So the formation lined up on the ATTACK RUN and if I remember right, his kid and another TBM went over the top at low level.

His kid still fly???? I remember reading about him and his 1st solo of him jumping into like 3 different types.

Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:59 pm

Isn't there ordnance from the ill-fated 'Bay of Pigs' escapade still lying around?

PeterA

Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:25 pm

WOW! :shock:

I have heard about but never seen the Edwards stuff.

Gee whiz....

Can't wait for more pictures!
Thanks
Z

Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:40 pm

Is this the guy with the plethra of HA-1112s?

Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:43 pm

N3Njeff wrote:His kid still fly???? I remember reading about him and his 1st solo of him jumping into like 3 different types.

Tex is probably who you are talking about. I guess he still flys, Connie jumps into one of the PBYs or cub every once in a while. The last time I saw the TBM at Connie's, it needed a little TLC.

Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:46 pm

CorsairFreak wrote:Is this the guy with the plethra of HA-1112s?

Several in boxes and a two seater assembled in one of the hangars. If they are still there. Been a year or so since I have been over to his place.

Time for a visit for me, I guess I can get some new counter tops made at his rock quarry.
Post a reply