Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:06 pm 

I'd love to see some pics of the two-seater; that would make a very cool warbird in its original service scheme.

thanks for the pics, that's amazing what he has lying around. My very quick & rough count shows about two dozen Merlin cores....

cheers

greg v.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:13 pm 

I was wondering about Tex the other day too. My first T-6 ride was with him several years back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:51 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

gregv wrote:
I'd love to see some pics of the two-seater; that would make a very cool warbird in its original service scheme.

thanks for the pics, that's amazing what he has lying around. My very quick & rough count shows about two dozen Merlin cores....

cheers

greg v.

Here is a shot of the 'Buchon made for two' in the UK in 1968. I don't think it has changed much since then.

'Connie' Edwards - a crazy, crazy, funny man. With fond memories of Oshkosh 85 and the unexpected water arrival for the Lake Lawn 'bash'.

PeterA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:49 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

I've got pictures coming of the two seater 109, and the Mustang, and the Spitfire, and the other 109's in his hangar (he has ten left), and the Albatrosses, and the Widgeons, and the Mallard, and the................well, you get the idea. :wink: It'll just be a couple of days it looks like.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:55 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

wow what a collection of iron!!! i can tell he's meticulous in the care of his stuff. he's an organized walter soplata!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:06 am 

tom d. friedman wrote:
wow what a collection of iron!!! i can tell he's meticulous in the care of his stuff. he's an organized walter soplata!!

He at least keeps most all of it protected in hangars and buildings. I don't think the words "meticulous in care" would exactly apply though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:17 am 
Maker of Spiffy models

Cooldos Gary!

My question is: what kind of Piaggio was it?

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:30 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

Ollie wrote:

Ugly. :lol:

Actually, I don't remember the model of the Piaggios. But he's got three of them. I snapped some shots of them and I'll post 'em all when I get this camera thingy worked out.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:49 am 
Maker of Spiffy models

Roger that!

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:28 pm 

I'm not sure if he own any other types of Piaggios, but he does own several Piaggio P-136 Royal Gull Amphibians. We have called him a few times for parts for our Royal Gull. Here are some pictures of one in action.

http://www.langshyttan.nu/don.html

Patrick Mahaffey
B-17 "Chuckie" pilot/mechanic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:33 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Howmany 109's???????

I knew he had mustangs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:42 pm 

PeterA

thanks for the two seater pic! If the info in the ancient ARCO book on 109's I have is correct (Steve Birdsall, I think), they only made two of these. I'll scan the pic in that book and post it tomorrow, if I remember to. That would be amazing to see back in the air.

You can tell Connie is a straight shooter; he drinks Bud, the King of Beers. And no, I am not being sarcastic. Out of curiousity, is "Connie" a nick-name, or a shortening of a name, like "Bob" for "Robert"?

Gary, thanks for the pics, they are amazing. I've always wondered what this collection of stuff looked like.

cheers & thanks

greg v.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:06 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I think Connie's full name is Wilson Connell Edwards; but don't ask where I remember that from because...I forget! :shock:

Keenly looking forward to the other pix...especially any showing the Hispano 1112 M4L trainer, which is, as someone else noted, one of only two built, and maybe the prettiest Me109 variant ever. (Personally I'd like to see this one in the museum at Cuatro Vientos...after being used, Willow Grove Me262-style, for the "cloning" of four or five more M4L Buchons...)

S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:06 pm 

[quote="gregv"]You can tell Connie is a straight shooter; he drinks Bud, the King of Beers. And no, I am not being sarcastic. Out of curiousity, is "Connie" a nick-name, or a shortening of a name, like "Bob" for "Robert"?quote]

I believe his first name is Wilson. Not sure where "Connie" came from.

And he really likes his Bud!!! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:01 pm 

I met Mr. Edwards at that TBM reunion in Fort Lauderdale back in 1990 when we had our A-26 there... He and Tex both are super nice people... Tex let me sit in the TBM for the first time and he wanted to sit in the A-26 because he was getting ready to get his type rating in the one Wiley Sanders had at that time... As I was talking to his dad I asked why he didn't get one of those mustangs going to fly around and I'll never forget his response because I thought I'd never stop laughing, but he said and I quote "I flown mustangs alot and to me flying a mustang around was like driving a road grader down to the jiffy store to buy a six pack of beer"...
Well, I've flew in the backseat of Bob Brynes mustang and I didn't see it like that but his response still cracks me up...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next