Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:43 pm 

Hi

A very large twin boom aircraft (you know what I mean) has just passed through Brisbane as scrap metal - looked very rough but restorable. Does anybody know where it was going - it left the country almost as soon as it arrived. I know no more than that - but I am really interested in where it went and who owns it.

Kindest regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:10 pm 

Hi Rob

Photos sent Monday by snail mail on a CD - not just that one but a whole collection of my stuff for your edification.

I am not at all sure the aircraft went to the US - so it may have been a bit like the Buffalo and is either off to be restored or stored in an intermediate country. Color scheme was overall faded black with US stars etc but tail group wasn't visable to get S No or other codes and I wasn't able to get closer.

I haven't got the new ornament yet but I bought another cheap in the meantime so I can afford to wait.

Did you get my message - what happened to WIX yesterday???

Regards
john

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:15 pm 
This is great news. Think maybe a Biak dump has been worked? Any chance you could post a pic, Setter? Now if someone would do a little digging on Morotai----

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:20 pm 
Hi George

It was a rough centre section and fuselage with a lot of parts which I think would approximate to enough to build an A/C including bent wings etc

I will put images up when I can on my webshots account and post a reference to them - they aren't much value as it was late afternoon through a cyclone fence but you will get the general idea. As I said it was gone by the next day so I couldn't do better shots or get in to have better look but at least the guy tipped me off in time to see it.

From the condition and appearance I would definately say it had been buried or at least some of the parts were.

Regards
John P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:43 pm 
Thanks much, John. This is such good news, no matter how rough its condition, because its now been saved. What a find! I really look forward to seeing those pictures when available.

George

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:27 am 

george wrote:
Thanks much, John. This is such good news, no matter how rough its condition, because its now been saved. What a find! I really look forward to seeing those pictures when available.

George

Absolutely. I've always had a fascination with this aircraft. I'm anxious to see a picture as well!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:54 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Anyone heard that the P61 in China has ben sold and is no longer on show ?

Just wondering if true or not and again whom might have snatched it, if the case

Post subject: MAAM black widow
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:25 am 
Jump Street

don't know if anyone's keeping tabs, but the mid atlantic air museum in reading, pa is working on one, to flying condition. it's been slow going as of late, but still none the less, hopes are high and maybe we'll one day get to see this bird in the sky. check out

http://www.maam.org/p61.html

keep those finger's crossed!

brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:31 am 
WRG Staff Photographer & WIX Brewmaster

FYI on the MAAM,
they don't update thier site. Check under Member news for updates, the Last update was Aug 03. I have a few pictures on my site of the progess up to June 4 at the WW2 weekend. Sorry but they are a little out of focus. I had to reach my arm up to clear the fence thing to keep poepl out and prevent poeple from getting a good look at it. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:40 pm 

Hi Col

Interesting info - I didn't think it was a direct PNG import/export but that's good to know - also about the second one. There seems to be a lot going on in PNG right now - probably best not to stir it up too much till it's over for obvious reasons.

Pictures sent to you /Scott last Monday on CD as WIX site was down - Post what you like - they are very poor due to light and distance but give some idea.

Regards
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:58 pm 

Hi Col

I didn't mean not to talk about it, just not talk about anything actually taking place (if there is anything ) as you can inadvertantly get someone "in the field" into a bit of strife.

So far as the P61 goes, as far as I can see it is done so there is no reason not to discuss it and it will be interesting to tease out what does occur. So no Col I was not trying to tell you to keep quiet we just need to be concious that we don't want to get anybodys project canned.

Kindest regards
JP