Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:51 am 

The USAF daily news digest includes the following story.

Japanese World War II fighter joins museum collection

by Chris McGee
U.S. Air Force Museum Public Affairs

DAYTON, Ohio (AFPN) -- The embodiment of Japanese air power and kamikaze suicide attacks during World War II, a restored Japanese Zero returned to the U.S. Air Force Museum here.

Commercial workers recently completed a one-year restoration of the aircraft for the museum. They disassembled the aircraft to move it to the museum and reassembled the plane for permanent display after its arrival.

The A6M2 Zero bolsters an already formidable cast of World War II aircraft on display in the museum's Air Power Gallery. Widely regarded as the most famous of Japanese military aircraft, the Zero performed as the arch nemesis of Allied aircraft in the Pacific theater during the first half of the war.

"The Zero is the ultimate symbol of Japanese air power in the Pacific in World War II," said retired Maj. Gen. Charles D. Metcalf, museum director. "It participated in the attack on Pearl Harbor and was later used on kamikaze raids against Allied ships. The addition of the Zero adds a key element to the World War II storyline we present to our visitors."

The Japanese abandoned the museum's Zero in Kavieng, New Ireland, during World War II. The aircraft is marked to appear as a section leader's Zero from the Imperial Japanese Navy carrier Zuiho during the Battle of Bismarck Sea in spring 1943.

The U.S. Army Air Force's use of superior armament, innovative tactics and more capable fighters later in the war ended the Zero's dominance, officials said. With 10,815 built, the Zero was produced in larger numbers than any other Japanese aircraft during the war.

The link is http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123008534 but it appears not to be working at the moment.

Gregory

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:28 am 
WRG Staff Photographer & WIX Brewmaster

One more reason to go back!

Thanks

Post subject: Contractors
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:27 am 

The link http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123008534 is now working, making it possible to download a hi-res picture, possibly of interest for the Registry and/or Preserved Axis Aircraft.
By the way - can anyone identify the commercial contractor that performed the work?

Gregory

Post subject: Contractors
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:28 am 

The link http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123008534 is now working, making it possible to download a hi-res picture, possibly of interest for the Registry and/or Preserved Axis Aircraft.
By the way - can anyone identify the commercial contractor that performed the work?

Gregory

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:52 am 

Dunno who did her, but is this the same one?

Mike H where did you photo her??

http://www.preservedaxisaircraft.com/Ja ... 20Zeke.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:11 am 
S/N Geek

paulmcmillan wrote:

The picture was taken back around 1995 or 1996. In fact I took the restoration facility tour in both July 1995 and July 1996. At that time the Zero was undergoing restoration.

I remember the tour guide at the time mentioned that the cockpit/centre section had been sent out for restoration to an outside contractor. When they received it back they were not happy with the quality of the work and were going to redo the job themselves. That may be the outside restorer the article was referring to, but as far as I know the marjority of the work was done in house.

It does look very good now though.

Regards,

Mike

http://www.facebook.com/AerialVisuals

Do you want to find locations of displayed, stored or active aircraft? Then start with the The Locator.
Do you want to find or contribute to the documented history of an aircraft? If so then start with the Airframes Database.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:56 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Since I was just there last week...

They must have turned the lights on for the "press." Yes, photography was challenging, and my tripod wouldn't fit into my carry-on bag. Maybe next time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:49 pm 
Taylorcraft Racing

Is this the Zero that the Museum displayed the corroded out tail section for many years in the late 80s?

About time for another trip to Dayton...it has been 6 months or so. :)

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:04 pm 
S/N Geek

AirJimL2 wrote:
Is this the Zero that the Museum displayed the corroded out tail section for many years in the late 80s?

No. I have a picture of that one as well (although of poor quality) taken in July 1995 when I got the first pictures of other Zero under restoration. So you could say they have (or had, don't know current status of corroded example) two zeros if you count the corroded hulk as a survivor.

Mike

http://www.facebook.com/AerialVisuals

Do you want to find locations of displayed, stored or active aircraft? Then start with the The Locator.
Do you want to find or contribute to the documented history of an aircraft? If so then start with the Airframes Database.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:00 am 
Hi my hats off to General Metcalf on one outstanding museum!!!It has to rate as one of the finest in the world with the largest collection of military a/c anywere on the planet and its free if you havent been there you must make the trip its well worth the hours it takes to see it all!!Can you see a clear difference between the U.S.A.F.M and the N.h.c.s position on preservation of thier aviation history?It really looks like they destroyed the historical aspect of this a/c it seems some would rather it had been left at its jungle crash site turning into dust and native necklaces!!I can jump in my t rusty ford explorer and in a days drive i can see a Japanese Zero as it would have apeared in 1944 plus 4 more huge buildings stuffed with the greatest collection of aviation history in the world!!I wish that the Secretary of the Navy would stop in and get a few pointers on how to improve on their aviation preservation,with thier assets rotting on the bottom of lakes ,mountain sides,jungles,ect. they could raise the funds required to have at least one example of each a/c that served under the wings of gold on display and the facilitys in which to display them!!!!The Pensacola meeting is coming up way too fast and I have not recieved much of anything in my E mail from any of the wixers are you on board? Please if you have read any of my earlier posts please send me what you have soon!! Thanks again Mike