Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:18 am 

Hi here is a sample of a few shots I took in 1998 at the AWM storage facility at Mitchell near Canberra. It depitcs the little seen Mosquito and P40 now on display at the AWM. Sorry about the quality but they are taken through glass windows in low light so loved by the AWM!!!

I suggest you look at other photos on the sight including some magnificant shots by Australian photographer Glen Alderton.
www.warbirdz.net

Regards
John Parker

Post subject: AWM Aircraft Displays
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:10 am 

Yep John,

The AWM collection is excellent, and the Mossie is a highlight (as is the Hudson,Lanc,Zero.....etc).

However, I agree that the passion they have for displaying the airframes in near darkness makes pohotography a tad difficult. I was there last year and found myself wondering that maybe they should have issued a flashlight to each person as they enter the new display hall.

Do any of the museum dwellers out there know why it is that the lighting levels are kept so low (other than to save on the power bill)?

Cheers

Browny

[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:45 am 

Hi Browny

I think the standard reply is that light and dry/too moist air are the main enemies of the exhibits at least thats the standard line I get. I think the AWM has a lot more to worry about through the oil and acid on the fingers of the people touching the exhibits than the light Though I think they do a fantastic job and this shouldn't be taken as criticism and accepted as my feedback - I might not like the way the exhibits are displayed out of context and in poor light but others may. The facts are that these aircraft are well restored and cared for by a dedicated team of experts.

So to John White and team(if it still is John ) well done for a fantastic effort with the new displays - I hope you accept my feedback as constructive. Love the Lanc job - superb

Regards
John P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:39 pm 

Nice shots, John, even in the low light! And that would be a V-2 rocket in the back? and the tubular object laying be side it is a what?
As Always
Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:04 pm 

Hi Don

The tublar object is a Japanese midget submarine that was involved in an attack on shipping in Sydney harbour and was then scuttled and recovered.

Thanks

Kindest regards
John P

Post subject: AWM
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:52 pm 
Those bastards sold my B-25 after half the world helped to get it here....a shameful group of no-hopers I say..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:07 pm 

Hi Oscar

As you know it was and is a very sore point with me as well - at the time I got a none to subtle warning to keep my mouth shut about it.

I never could see why that was done - it is an aircraft of great signifigance to us and should have stayed - I believe it needed work to convert back to stoch Aussie config but I can't imagine that would have been difficult.

Thanks for clearing up your attitude to it - I was led to believe that you had supported the export which I also couldn't understand.

I have done a DVD copy of the doc on the flight out and the Cessnock video for you - email me off line with your address.

PS there is a nice B25 still out in the Tanami desert if you know any takers? Similar story to the one in Darwin. At one stage the Darwin chaps were going to pinch the rear Fuse but they never did.

Regards
John P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:50 am 

Hi Rob

Correct on all 3

There is a very good collection of genuine WW1 A/C with the AWM althought it was better till they burned a few prior to the 40's.

The facility in the photos is the storage and restoration centre at Mitchell ACT and is very good - it displays the overflow from the AWM new hall and there are now quite a few A/C on display there including a very nice Beaufort and some of the WW1 A/C.

Yep the sub was one of 3 that sank a couple of ships including the one you spoke of.

Two of the subs were found and I think on e is missing to this day parts of both the recovered ones are on display now - The Japanese committed Suicide by blowing the subs up after the raid so the subs are not totally intact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:39 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

setter wrote:
Hi Oscar

I have done a DVD copy of the doc on the flight out and the Cessnock video for you - email me off line with your address.

Is this documentary still available somewhere?

T J Johansen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:16 am 

Hi TJ

Mate this video was made 15-20 years ago and I doubt that it is still available

Send me your address off line and I will send you a copy on DVD..

Kindest regards
John P