Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: New P-51 Mustang copies
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:24 pm 

After having read about the Proect 262 which is building 5 new copies of the ME-262 fighter, I was wondering if anyone ever thought about making new copies of the P-51 Mustangs, assuming engines could be found.

http://www.stormbirds.com/project/index.html[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:59 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

B-29 Super Fort wrote:
After having read about the Proect 262 which is building 5 new copies of the ME-262 fighter, I was wondering if anyone ever thought about making new copies of the P-51 Mustangs, assuming engines could be found.

There have been at least two projects that I know of over the last 20 years that yielded zero airframes, plus the Murdo Cameron P-51G project (although not a reproduction, per se) and the TP-51C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:40 pm 

That I am aware of nobody is building a truly scratch built Mustang....YET, but it is getting close. The airframes being built or should I say rebuilt today still contain a significant amount of original parts so they are not true replicas like the 262's, Oscars and Barrels that have been reproduced. After spending time up at Tri-State, I would guees we'll see some scratch builds in the next ten years or so.

John
CC Red Tail Mustang

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:11 pm 
Pretty much any part of the Mustang airframe can now be replicated; many of the major structures have been constructed now for the best part of ten years thanks to the sterling work of several well known companies. Anyone not believing we technically have completely new Mustangs flying around must have their head buried in the sand.

The caveat to this of course is the Merlin engine. Nice and original, for the most part....

HTH

Paul Coggan
pac@warbirdguru.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:19 pm 

Hi Paul

Engines................ There was a discussion about these over time that suggested even here that some components were being made in the US for Merlins - particularly pistons, rings etc.

I once had a discussion with the late Mr Morgan on Warbirds who also looked after the McLaren F1 engine program and he asserted that with the technology available and emerging it would not be long before a complete "next Generation Merlin could be "nocked out" for a "reasonable price". The modern F1 industry has lots in common with Warbirds and it has to be remembered that a team like Ferrari goes through something like 600 engines a year - a lot of them prototypes and one off test units . What I am suggesting is that there are parallels here which indicate that the technology and expertise to introduce modern equivalents to Merlins etc exists - will they be reproductions or "improved" versions who knows - I suspect both - time /money /opportunaty will tell I think

My two Shillings of her Majestey's legal tender worth!!!

Kindest regardsa
John P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:47 pm 
This years Osh Grand champion was a new build airplane.
Sweet and lovely it was, just not an orignal copy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:21 pm 

Paul Coggan wrote:
Pretty much any part of the Mustang airframe can now be replicated; many of the major structures have been constructed now for the best part of ten years thanks to the sterling work of several well known companies. Anyone not believing we technically have completely new Mustangs flying around must have their head buried in the sand.

The caveat to this of course is the Merlin engine. Nice and original, for the most part....

HTH

Paul Coggan
pac@warbirdguru.com

I think we're all in agreement but once again it's coming down to definitions. Right or wrong I believe a true replica contains only new built parts and no NOS parts with the exception of engines and propellers. With that in mind I believe there are no true replica Mustangs yet in existence although many are coming real close. I will certainly not argue that here are many "New" Mustangs out there. Paul as you mentioned there really is no part of the Mustang that cannot be reproduced today and the fact that many components have not yet been produced is only because there is still a sufficient supply of used and NOS parts available to meet the demand.

As for engine components, watch "the cat in the hat" from MI over the next several years. He's already extended the service life of the Merlin by many years with the few new components and repairs techniques he's concentrated on. I'm certain if the Mustang/Merlin user community was running short on a significant casting he would not let that go un-noticed!

John...with his head at least 6 feet above the sand line!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:50 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

John Beyl wrote:
Right or wrong I believe a true replica contains only new built parts and no NOS parts with the exception of engines and propellers.

Careful, that line is always moving! Avia has been building Mustang and T-6 blades for quite a few years now...
http://www.aviapropeller.com/mus_6547blade.htm
http://www.aviapropeller.com/activities.htm

Post subject: New P-51A"s
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:00 pm 
When I was selling my Allison 1710, I was contacted by a Gentlemen in North Dakota building new Allison powered P-51A's. I have his name and number somewhere, anyone here of these?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:24 pm 

That would be Gerry Beck of Tri-State Aviation. I seem to remember hearing the first P-51A is in an advanced state. I would suspect that a fair number of components are interchangeable and NOS or rebuilt comonents will be/are incorporated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:29 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The Muszala 'TP-51C' is basically a new aircraft I believe..very nice.... and as long as they are documented as such, lets see some more !

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:31 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

dj51d wrote:
I would suspect that a fair number of components are interchangeable and NOS or rebuilt components will be/are incorporated.
Interchangeable with what? I think the A is more similar to the B than the D (which I believe is substantially different in the wing as well as the fuselage).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:11 am 
John said

I think we're all in agreement but once again it's coming down to definitions

Well John, there is the rub; definitions! This is something that those in the warbird industry itself have great difficulty in agreeing upon. If we could all generally agree on such matters describing a particular airframe would become much easier for those that write about such things. This is something I have been working (on and off) on for years. At this time most of the key players adapt the definition that suits them personally!

regards

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:51 am 

bdk wrote:
Interchangeable with what? I think the A is more similar to the B than the D (which I believe is substantially different in the wing as well as the fuselage).

Aren't there a number of assemblies such as the main gear that never really changed? I guess by "fair number", what I really ment was more than zero.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:01 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

dj51d wrote:
Aren't there a number of assemblies such as the main gear that never really changed? I guess by "fair number", what I really ment was more than zero.

I'm curious to know as well. Anyone have a Mustang parts book?