Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:51 pm 

I took a road trip up to Duluth yesterday and made the short detour over to Superior, WI to see the Richard I Bong WWII Heratige Center. I have previously seen the P-38 when it was at American Wings in Blaine, MN.

I was very impressed with the facility. The main display hall is set up like a pacific base, with a control tower, briefing hut, palm trees, and even sand. You enter the display hall on the second floor and are treated to a rare view of a rare aircraft, it was very interesting to view a P-38 from above for the first time. The P-38 on display is P-38L 44-53236. Funny thing is, the signs comment on the fact that it shows 25 victories and not Major Bong's eventual total, and that it says Major even though he was a Captain when he flew the depicted aircraft, but nowhere is any mention of the fact that the aircraft on display is an L model.

Other artifacts on display include uniforms and weapons from both sides of the conflict, There are a large number of G.I.'s letters home on display in one room of the collection. There is a kiosk dedicated to the war in Europe which has recordings from a number of soldiers, including Tuskeegee Airman Joseph Gomer. Also on display is Major Bong's Congresional Metal of Honor.

The lighting is certainly better than I've heard other museums described. It's not dark in the museum, but it is indoors, so if you go I'd reccomend a tripod. I'm not sure what the museum's policy on tripods is, as I forgot mine and I managed to get some decent photos by playing with the camera settings.

If you are ever in the Duluth/Superior area, do youself a favor and stop in at the musem, it's well worth it.

This sign greets visitors.

Main entrance

The P-38 is in this portion of the building. The ship is the SS Meteor the only survivor of 44 "whaleback" ships built.

an unrestored piece of the P-38

The yoke from Lt. Darrel L. Johnson's Consolidated Vultee built P-38

spare wheels rest against the briefing hut.

Major Bong's famous nose art

A rare view of a rare plane

Rear view. The swastika on the wall near the right engine's prop is a piece of skin from a Do-217

A side view from half a level up.

The General Electric Turbocharger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:56 pm 
Maker of Spiffy models

Whoa!

The P-38 has always been and will always be a slick chick!!!

:lol: 8) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:55 pm 

Whenever I drive back up north I always drive by the museum. I always tell my wife that if we hadn't moved an hour south I would dedicate and volunteer most of my time to the museum. I wounder if that was one of the main reasons we moved so quickly :shock: . I have to agree with Dan though. It is a fantasitc museum to visit. Also, included were some of Dick's families items. Dan I really wanted to tack that tractor for a spin :lol: . Ollie, I think you would really enjoy there model display also.

Dave D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:17 pm 

Dave, I agree the Cat RD-4 is quite a machine. The example on display is very nicely restored. The model case contains models of the types that Major Bong flew in and shot down during his carrer

Caterpiller RD-4 on display

A small sample of the models on display including my favorite American trainer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:17 am 
Maker of Spiffy models

Nice bull!!

What's your favorite trainer Dan? BT-13?

Beaver with a low-wing that can't go on floats and can only carry two people?

:lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:59 pm 

Spot on Ollie! I've always had a soft spot for the BT-13/15, probably because it's such a rare bird and there's one based about 40 miles away that I see a couple of times a year.