Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:35 pm 

On the way home from my road trip to Duluth, MN(story of my stop at the Bong Museum) I made a little detour to Proctor, MN. There is an F-101F on display at a golf course just off of US Highway 2. The Voodoo is painted as 59-0407, if the markings are correct, this was 17407 in RCAF service. The caveat being, I don't know if the markings painted on the aircraft are accurate. In the last few years I've been bitten by the serial numbers bug, and inaccurate numbers displayed on the aircraft have become one of my biggest pet peeves. If however, you wanted to paint the aircraft lime green, I'd be happy so long as it carried the correct serial number.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:48 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Well displayed in a dramatic pose, and it looks like it is kept in good condition. Nice photos too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:20 pm 

Thanks. The people of the 148th Fighter Wing do an excellent job with their restorations. They have done the voodoo, the Bong Museum P-38L, the T-33at the Duluth American Legion, an F-4 at Duluth International, and an F-94C in Chisholm, MN. I haven't yet gone out to see the F-94, maybe next road trip, I'll have to get some photos of the F-4 too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:06 am 

Nice shots Dan! I was just about to ask if you stopped in to see that T-33 when I saw your last post. That T-33 is one of the better kept birds that I have seen on polls. It's kind of in a tight little location and tucked away if you are going to fast you might miss it.

Dave D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:30 am 

I didn't stop this time, but I did see the T-33, if you know where to look you can see it from I-35. Spotting the T-33 from I-35 is how I originally found it on a road trip a few years ago. That time I spent about 20 minutes driving around town trying to find the bird I knew I'd spotted from the highway on the way into town.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:39 pm 
S/N Geek

dj51d wrote:
The caveat being, I don't know if the markings painted on the aircraft are accurate. In the last few years I've been bitten by the serial numbers bug, and inaccurate numbers displayed on the aircraft have become one of my biggest pet peeves.

It may be accurate. I think there is one former RCAF/CAF Voodoo in Minnesota on display. I'll have to check my notes to confirm the location.

Regards,

Mike

http://www.facebook.com/AerialVisuals

Do you want to find locations of displayed, stored or active aircraft? Then start with the The Locator.
Do you want to find or contribute to the documented history of an aircraft? If so then start with the Airframes Database.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:50 pm 
HI YOU ARE RIGHT THE LAST F 101 OPERATED BY THE R.C.A.F. WAS FLOWN INTO MSP AND IS ON DISPLAY AT THE AIR GUARD MUSEUM THANKS MIKE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:11 pm 
Taylorcraft Racing

My notes show that 17407 was on display in MN as 59-406 so it seems they have corrected things. This is one of the first batch Voodoos that were returned to the U.S. A couple others survive in NV and in Pate TX. Voodoo problems seem to abound. MAPS is supposed to get the former Clearwater FLA bird that the USAFM has the wrong serial on. The real plane with that serial is still in Canada!

Btw, the MN ANG bird was indeed one of the two last Voodoos in service with Canada. 101067 the all black EW "Electric" Voodoo. I understand it was restored back to a stock Voodoo by the MN ANG.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:44 pm 

AirJimL2 wrote:
Btw, the MN ANG bird was indeed one of the two last Voodoos in service with Canada. 101067 the all black EW "Electric" Voodoo. I understand it was restored back to a stock Voodoo by the MN ANG.

The all black Voodoo is on display at the Minnesota Air National Guard Musem at Minneapolis/St. Paul International. The Voodoo is no longer black, instead it is painted exactly as the Proctor example from this thread with the serial 58-0300(I think this is correct but I'm not sure). According to the MN-ANG Museum, when 101067/58-0300 was delivered to KMSP, it was the last recorded flight of a Voodoo in North America.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:07 pm 

I can't find an exact date of it's return to the US but 101067/58-0300 served with the RCAF untill 1987. The interesting thing about 58-0300 at the ANG Museum is that it was actually in the Duluth ANG inventory at one time in it's history. I have no idea when 17407/59-0406 returned to the states.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:57 pm 

I know I went to an open house at the Bangor ANGB around 1988 and they had rolled the Voodoo out of the hanger for static display. of course it had already been painted as a Maineiac bird by then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:16 pm 

Thanks for that photo Rob. What are the chances that you would have encountered one of the Duluth Voodoos in your search.