Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Canal Zone Dumps
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:50 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I just finished reading the article on the Boeing B-15 in the latest issue of Flight Journal. At the end, the article states that when the B-15 had reached the end of its useful life, it was broken up and burried in Panama.
Has anyone done any reasearch on Canal Zone Dumps? I would imagine that there might be some birds worth digging up still down there. Now that the Canal Zone has been returned to Panamanian control, shouldn't it be a little easier to do a litte digging?
Have shovel will travel....

Post subject: canal zone dumps
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:30 am 
Gentlemen,

Back in 1977, Bob Diemert of Carman, Manitoba, Canada heard rumors of burial dumps in Panama. He went to investigate if there was any truth to the rumors.

Someone gave him the locations of several purported sites, and he hired a crew of locals, along with a bulldozer to clear the jungle areas. After digging several explore holes, he found nothing. He then investigated rumors of a P-40 that crashed, and reported to be located high in the jungle canopy. After hiring a helicopter for several days to scour the purported location, he found nothing.

Rather than come back to Canada with nothing, he located a T-28 and a Sikorsky H-19 helicopter --the type used in the Korean war--sitting near a fire dump at an airport waiting use for firefighting practice. He bought, then crated both for shipment to Carman. He kept both for several years, then later sold these through Trade-A-Plane to the USA.
Yours very truly,
Norman Malayney

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:19 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thanks for the info Norman.
The Flight Journal Article has some of the detail on where the B-15 is buried, I will post that info when I get home. I also read the P-39 article in the latest Air Classics last night and I believe M.O. mentions something about how the P-400's sent to the canal zone early in the war suffered quite a few operational accidents, I would imagine some of them are buried there as well. Is access to the Canal Zone easier now than before it was in Panamanian control???

Post subject: Panama, Loco!!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:49 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Dan Hagedorn published a great book on the 6th AF in the Caribbean:

Alae Supra Canalem (wings over the Canal). there are many photos and data.

Of interest, either earlier this year or in 2003, a Douglas O-47 was found in the mountains of Panama.

Saludos,

Tulio

I am one of them 'futbol' people.

Will the previous owner has pics of this double cabin sample

GOOD MORNING, WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Press "1" for English.
Press "2" to disconnect until you have learned to speak English.

Sooooo, how am I going to know to press 1 or 2, if I do not speak English????

Post subject: O-47
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:41 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Your Colonelness!!!

Sorry bud, but I don't know if this particular airplane went to the USAFM. I think it was retrieved with the remains of the pilot still inside, and I believe that there was a posting regarding this, at the old WIX forum.

As for photos, I do not have any, but let me see what I can find.

Saludos,

Tulio

I am one of them 'futbol' people.

Will the previous owner has pics of this double cabin sample

GOOD MORNING, WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Press "1" for English.
Press "2" to disconnect until you have learned to speak English.

Sooooo, how am I going to know to press 1 or 2, if I do not speak English????

Post subject: Re: O-47
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:14 am 
S/N Geek

Col. Rohr wrote:
Was this the airframe that ended up with the USAFM?

This is from the USAFM website...
The O-47B on display was acquired in 1978 from Mr. Loren L. Florey, Jr., Eden Prairie, Minnesota. It was restored in the markings of an O-47A of the 112th Observation Squadron (Ohio National Guard) by the 179th Consolidated Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Ohio ANG, at Mansfield, Ohio.

Regards,

Mike

http://www.facebook.com/AerialVisuals

Do you want to find locations of displayed, stored or active aircraft? Then start with the The Locator.
Do you want to find or contribute to the documented history of an aircraft? If so then start with the Airframes Database.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:19 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I was told by Dan Hagedorn that the dump where the XB-15 components were buried was very swampy, and that shantytowns had built up over it with houses on stilts. As I remember the conversation, there were some efforts to locate the wreckage by boring small holes down into the swamp, which came up with aircraft-grade aluminum, similarly to the way they proved the location of the P-38 in Greenland. There was no real way to prove that it was the XB-15 of course, but it showed that there was something down there that was probably from an aircraft. It was a moot point anyway, as there was no way to shift the people living on top of it without causing a lot of problems. Hope this is of interest.

Cheers,
Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:14 am 
HI YES THE 0-47 AT DAYTON WAS ORIGINALY A PHOTO SHIP OUT OF MEXICO.RECOVERED AND DISPLAYED AT A SMALL MUSEUM ALONG WITH B-25 NOW BELONGING TO C+P AS LADY LUCK,FG-1 CORSAIR JUST RESTORED,TORRA KATE EX JIM JOHNS,PLUS MANY 20S-30SA/C THAT WENT TO THE SAN DIEGO MUSEUM.THE 0-47 SOLD FOR ABOUT $5000.00 TO LOREN L. FLOREY JR.WHO TRADED IT TO THE U.S.A.F.MUSEUM FOR A DC-6 THAT HE SOLD TO THE DRUG RUNNERS FOR $ 100.000.00 THEN PURCHASED HIS MUSTANG FORMER DEATH RATTLER SHORTLY AFTER WITH IN A YEAR WAS ARRESTED SMUGGLING DRUGS AND THEN FLED THE U.S. SELLING THE P-51 TO HARRY TOPE WHO THEN PLANTED IT INTO THE GROUND THANKS MIKE :roll:

Post subject: "Douglas O-47"??
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:00 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Hi all--

What piques my curiosity is the ref earlier to a "Douglas" O-47...The O-47 was a North American product (the other O-bird often called "Owl" being the Curtiss O-52). Course Douglas might have built O-47s, I suppose, just as Curtiss built P-47s and Vega and Douglas built B-17s; but I wonder, could we be talking about either a Douglas O-46 or a Douglas O-38, either of which would be even rarer than an NAA O-47?

S.

Post subject: Re: "Douglas O-47"??
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:45 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

I doubt that Douglas built O-47's. Not many were built in total by NA as they were pre-war.