Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:50 pm 

I was also checking out the B-23 on E-bay and comparing it to a plane crashed in a remote swamp 65 years ago...

Frankly my leaning has always been towards a donation to the museum, although as I stated previously my say only counts for one ninth of the final decision. My idea has been to loan it to the museum, then in the future if we were to sell a partial interest in the property or generate substantial income in another way, we could donate it and use the tax writeoff to offset the income.

However we also have a duty to our partners to maximize the benefit to the company, and in that spirit I have been researching our options, which has included this site- which I might mention again has been very helpful. I have come on to the forum in complete ignorance- just for example, my partner said the "Pearl Harbor Aviation Museum" contacted him, and only now do I realize it is actually called the "Pacific Aviation Museum"- and through the help of those on this site (and others) I feel I am beginning to get a grasp of the history of this particular plane as well as the issues we face.

I concur that once the PAM surveys the plane we will have some solid ground to move forward on. Knowing our group, the decision process will be slow. But that is all for the good, as I will have time to become more informed, inform my partners, and make a better decision. I assure you that the information shared and opinions expressed on this forum are being taken very seriously, and play a major role in our discussions of how to proceed.

Thank you all, once again!

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:25 pm 
a.k.a. TBDude

Hey Chris--

I was just wondering if you have any updates you can share with the group on this topic? When last we heard, the Pacific Aviation Museum was working with you and the other owners to mount a survey of the wreck....

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:06 am 

One of our partners and her husband, along with the director(?) of the PAM flew in on September 25 to see the Bolo. The museum folks were very impressed with the condition of the plane- the nose took some damage, and the wings had some tree sized dents in the leading edge from mowing the ridgetop, but all in all it was in pretty good condition. There was even air in the tires- amazing! About a quarter of one of the wings was folded at a 90 degree angle in the gulch bottom, and as we knew the turret was stolen along with anything else that could be easily taken. But the turret was removed properly, not hacked off with a chain saw as we had heard, so there was no structural damage.

The plane is resting at about a 60 degree angle, so climbing around inside is a bit dangerous- especially as the missing turret causes everything below it to be wet and slippery. Although there is some corrosion, naturally, the metal is in surprisingly good condition- especially considering it has been sitting in the jungle for 60-some years.

I was sent a video of the trip but no still shots I can post here. The museum's idea was to lift it to the ridgetop where it would sit flat, then re-rig it and fly it to a barge which could be sitting a couple miles away. Since the entire flight would be over our property, there would be no risk to persons or property in doing this. The idea was to set up a diorama in the museum, recreating the landscape and displaying the plane exactly as it now sits but in a protected and accessable location.

The problem, however, is that the museum person (director?) moved on to a new job with another museum immediately after this trip. Since then we haven't heard a peep about the B-18 from them.

One issue, and the reason I never got back to this forum, is that the museum was disturbed by the discussion here- especially discussing the commercial possibilities of the plane. Out of respect for their wishes I refrained from further posts while we worked out an agreement. But since we haven't heard back from them I don't see any harm in talking about it. Perhaps they are waiting for an opportunity to use the military to remove the plane as a training exercise- which was their plan but my understanding is that this is unlikely. But they might have the right connections- who knows? In any case, since they seem to have lost interest I am ready to explore other options- leaving it to decay in a remote jungle seems like a shame...

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:28 am 
a.k.a. TBDude

Chris--

Thanks very much for the update (fascinating stuff!) The report of the preliminary survey is very encouraging -- and I have to say that I personally applaud the vision you described for PAM's proposed recovery and exhibition of the wreck.

I had noticed a while back that the museum masthead had changed. I'm sure it is quite a lot of work for the new director to get up to speed and for the staff to adjust to the incoming administration as well.

Hopefully, if someone from PAM reads this, they will realize that there is still a great deal of interest in seeing this plane preserved properly (on the part of you, your fellow owners, and many on the WIX board) -- and perhaps even prompt a new round of negotiations and planning.

If we don't hear from you again for a while, I'll take that as a good sign! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:17 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Chris, I'd also like to thank you for posting an update. It is great to hear the plane is in decent condition.
I am very glad you, the other property owners, and PAM are doing the right thing in trying to preserve/save it. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:34 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Thanks for the update. Hope it all works out!

I noticed the newletters they send FINALLY got rid of the 8th AF Mustang in the masthead! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:12 pm 

Another update-

The PAM has been in contact with us again and are quite serious about a recovery effort. On our most recent visit the plane appears to have slid further into the gulch- I thought this was a result of the October 2006 earthquake but looking at the dates of my previous posts I see this is not the case.

In any case, we are in negotiation with the PAM and hope that soon we will be able to offer opportunities to visit this plane- initially on site, and hopefully eventually at the museum.

Thank you again, everyone, for your input!

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:05 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

And thank you for the update! Have you taken any photos since your last post? Could you post the video you mentioned before on YouTube and send us a link? Good luck with the recovery!

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:48 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

So 15 years later its still there,

Sadly its just 15 years closer to rotting away and dropping into the canyon below?