Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:20 am 

Hi
What happened to the really fantastic Bf109 that was recovered from the lake in Russia.

I heard it went to the UK but nothing since

Regards
John P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:55 am 

Cees

Thanks for that

From the little I have seen of it I have to agree that the condition looked incredable and it is truely the real actual"time capsule" . I guess as such I would hope that it isn't going to be cut up to be "Reastored to fly" There are still enough Buchons around to make one of these fly with a DB up front but it would be sad if that happened here - I believe if a Warbird can fly it should but there are pristine exceptions and I think this, the He111 and the Ju88 as well as the B17 from Canada are possible exceptions given their state of preservation. The P61 on the other hand given it is mostly a collection of random parts should fly again and I hope it will

Kindest regards
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:35 pm 

John,

The whole history of this aircraft is published in the latest Aeroplane Monthly, but I haven't had the chance to read it yet, so I don't know where it ended up after Jim Pearce put it in his storage shed.

I have quickly thumbed through the pages and the condition of the airframe is bloody mindbogglingly fantastic.

Cees

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:36 pm 

John,

The whole history of this aircraft is published in the latest Aeroplane Monthly, but I haven't had the chance to read it yet, so I don't know where it ended up after Jim Pearce put it in his storage shed.

I have quickly thumbed through the pages and the condition of the airframe is bloody mindbogglingly fantastic.

Cees

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:09 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The aircraft is dismantled a lot more now, than shown in those pics, and is awaiting a buyer...c'mon my lotto numbers :!:

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:03 pm 

Hi Dave and Cees

I haven't seen tha Aeroplane Monthly yet - even express delivery takes a little longer here in the antipodes.

As I said above I am more concerned about what will happen to this aircraft than most others because of it's completeness and historic provinance. Perhaps a Museum deal where a collector gets a Buchon conversion or something from a large Museum in return for a Statically authentic war veteran properly conserved.

I think it is very exciting that all of these aircraft are coming up at this time - great to see happening . I just hope the follow up work happens in all cases.

Kindest regards
John P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:45 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

John

I agree regarding its pedigree, completeness and historic nature. I would like to see it cleaned , preserved and display ' as is' much like the Buffalo..a true time capsule. Rather than have the whole thing rebuilt as new and the original airframe effectively finding its way to the dumpster. Flugwerk will soon be building new 109s, so it isn't necesary to butcher a real one :cry:

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:01 pm 

Hi Dave

Agree completely - Just wish it was OUR decision !!!!

Regards
John P