Switch to full style
This is the place where the majority of the warbird (aircraft that have survived military service) discussions will take place. Specialized forums may be added in the new future
Post a reply

The Ultimate Sacrifice

Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:25 pm

We live in a free land because of the valor and sacrifice made by great men like these who stepped up to the plate when we need them too.

Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:45 am

Jack,

Judging from the fields picture 1 could be somewhere over Holland. Do you have a date and Group?

Take care,

Paul

Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:57 pm

Still trying to find the location...Thought of the vicinity of Enkhuizen at the the IJsselmeer first. Any clues?

Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:09 pm

Dang.....I've never seen those pictures before. Heartbreaking.

???

Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:28 pm

No, I have no idea. Many of these NARA photos are sadly
lacking in captions.

Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:53 pm

A couple from my uncle's pictures..he was there for both of these...

Bless them all.

465th BG
Blechammer Germany (Poland)
the story
http://www.samoloty.ow.pl/str208a.htm
The signature in the picture is from the survivor Capt. Duckworth

464th BG
Lago Italy
4/10/45
Nine dead, one survivor.
Brand new grey pathfinder, full of short timers flying a milk run to finish their mission tally.

B-24s

Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:01 am

In several documentaries I've seen footage of a close-up shot of a natural metal B-24J as it takes a flak hit through the left wing root and falls in flames - is this the same plane as in the Blechammer photo?

Re: B-24s

Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:32 am

Chris Brame wrote:In several documentaries I've seen footage of a close-up shot of a natural metal B-24J as it takes a flak hit through the left wing root and falls in flames - is this the same plane as in the Blechammer photo?

I've seen it too. I believe thats a PTO B24.

If you watch closely you can see the hatch behind the canopy open just as the wing folds. Terrifying to think what it was like for those guys. :(

Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:43 am

That video is not the same airplane as this one over Blechammer.

Scary indeed....

Some of them did get back......

Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:55 am

Some of them did get back......

Not intented to hijack your thread Jack, but i found those to be very moving.

I can only imagine what it must have felt like.

Reading the descriptions is a bit overwelming at times to say the least.

Incredible pics to be found at:

http://www.daveswarbirds.com/b-17/contents.htm

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:54 am

Those are all incredible pictures! I am so thankful for everyone that contributed in the war efforts, especially the crews that gave their lives.

Sometimes I worry about future generations slowly forgetting about the sacrifices made by these brave men. I always hated during highschool when classmates of mine would complain about learning history. They seem to think it's not important. I'd say the opposite, it's very important to know the sacrifices that were made to insured out way of life. Also, we can learn from our mistakes and from others.

I got off topic a little there.... I just wanted to express how I think people are forgetting what went on between 1939 and 1945 (or some may say even earlier than '39). It's so hard being so passionate about history and volunteering at a museum where finding individuals and companies to sponsor our museum is so difficult. Of course we don't cure cancer, or help educate children in Africa... Nor do we feed the starving, but darn it, these brave individuals need to be remembered, and cherished.

Ooopps... an early morning rant. Now I have to go for my aviation medical.

Cheers,

David

Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:51 pm

Awesome pics everyone! :shock: When you look at images such as these you can't help but wonder the kind of fear that went through the poor brave souls in their final few minutes as the aircraft went spiraling to earth. The centrifical force made bailing out next to impossible for many of these crew members and I'm sure they knew the end was coming. One can only hope and pray they passed out before the moment of impact.

On a side note...for those shot-up birds returning to base one can only imagine the gastly site that awaited the ground crews. I don't care how much of a strong stomach a person has...it can't be easy hosing blood & guts out of the inside of a turret or scraping the mortal remains of an aircrewman out of the cockpit. :cry: :vom:

John
Post a reply